Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Is this a fairly safe tune?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Dragonetti
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonetti
The Airaid CAI's have a tube inside the intake where the MAF sensor is that can be removed to flow more air but requires a tune.
It's possible this is not a option for the 15's, it was for 13/14 for sure.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:36 PM
krazyk86cu

Oh! okay, I see what you mean. I'll have to check. It's coming by around Tuesday.

Any idea how had the installation of the drive shaft is? Or how much it would run me to have installed?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Dragonetti
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazyk86cu
Oh! okay, I see what you mean. I'll have to check. It's coming by around Tuesday.

Any idea how had the installation of the drive shaft is? Or how much it would run me to have installed?
It isn't hard, but can't see it being done without it up on a lift. CJ pony has a great start to finish video, not promoting them but damn they got some good how-to vids. A shop should only bill you an hour or two at the most to install. They did mine in a hour at $85 plus tax.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:56 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

I just wanted to pass this article along that we did regarding the different CAIs:

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2015/10/l...eads-the-pack/

Great gains:

Steeda’s ProFlow S550 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake Comparison: Restrictor without Tune
In our cold air intake dyno shoot-*out between Steeda, brand ‘R’ and brand ‘A,’ all of which have a restrictor in place without a tune, Steeda’s S550 ProFlow Cold Air Intake dominated the competition putting down 414 rwhp and 387 ft/lb tq! This is a 22 hp and 18 ft/lb tq gain over our stock baseline dyno pull.

Steeda CAI with restrictor and no tune: 414 rwhp and 387 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘R’ CAI with restrictor and no tune: 404 rwhp and 375 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘A’ CAI with restrictor and no tune: 403 rwhp and 373 ft/lb tq

Steeda’s ProFlow S550 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake Comparison: No Restrictor with Tune
In our cold air intake dyno shoot*-out between Steeda, brand ‘A,’ brand ‘R’ and brand ‘J,’ all of which are restrictorless and utilizing a tune, Steeda’s S550 ProFlow Cold Air Intake dominated the competition yet again putting down 422 rwhp and 392 ft/lb tq! This is a 30 hp and 23 ft/lb tq gain over our stock baseline dyno pull.

Steeda restrictorless CAI and tune: 422 rwhp and 392 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘A’ restrictorless CAI and tune: 414 rwhp and 390 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘R’ restrictorless CAI and tune: 411 rwhp and 382 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘J’ restrictorless CAI and tune: 411 rwhp and 382 ft/lb tq

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10-25-2015, 05:59 PM
krazyk86cu

Does the Steeda intake eliminate the air box that reaches to the front grill?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazyk86cu
Does the Steeda intake eliminate the air box that reaches to the front grill?
Those numbers were achieved with the hood opened and a fan blowing directly on the intake. Do some research and save some money, you're unlikely to gain real-world performance from a CAI with a 2015/2016 GT.
If you really want to spend the money then go for it with whatever brand you like, but I promise about 10 minutes of searching will change your mind on a CAI. Tuner is the way to go for a quick performance boost, CAI not so much.

Last edited by Spork3245; 10-25-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 PM
krazyk86cu

I've looked on several forums about an intake and the discussion was really split. The 3 bills for it isn't gonna put me out from getting anything else so I'm not worried if there aren't any impressive gains.

I went with the AIRAID since it's still a closed system with an inlet right behind the grill. You can't really go wrong with a bigger inlet still getting cold air.

So far the 93 octane tune is pretty aggressive. All my driving is on the highway over 70mph and I can def feel it pull harder. I have noticed the engine braking the car does in sport mode is a little more jerky than the stock tune.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:01 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spork3245
Here:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32413

Return the CAI you ordered and get your money back. Put it towards an exhaust or something... Won't get you more power but at least it'll sound glorious!
What part of gained 7HP on a dyno didn't you understand? I have an inclosed air raid CAI so how would having the hood up benefit me??? Those fans don't magically blow thru plexiglass! And the advice to trade one perceived non power making mod for another in your opinion is some shrewed stuff! OP here is my timeslip from last Friday. CAI/TUNE/TIRE are the only mods. Going back for an 11 second slip tonight. I can also post dyno sheet and video of dyno pull for ya. Not some I read on the internet crap what other people are saying advice! Jeez spork can you back up anything your saying or is it all interwebs info? I'll put my dyno sheet against your interweb research anyday! Because everything you read on the internet is true. Bonjour.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 10-27-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:24 PM
krazyk86cu

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
What part of gained 7HP on a dyno didn't you understand? I have an inclosed air raid CAI so how would having the hood up benefit me??? Those fans don't magically blow thru plexiglass! And the advice to trade one perceived non power making mod for another in your opinion is some shrewed stuff! OP here is my timeslip from last Friday. CAI/TUNE/TIRE are the only mods. Going back for an 11 second slip tonight. I can also post dyno sheet and video of dyno pull for ya. Not some I read on the internet crap what other people are saying advice! Jeez spork can you back up anything your saying or is it all interwebs info? I'll put my dyno sheet against your interweb research anyday! Because everything you read on the internet is true. Bonjour.
Like I said, the discussion is split right down the middle with regards to intakes for these cars. I'm not hurting for the money and if nothing else enjoy the engine dress up and sound so I see no down side. Can't wait to install it when it comes in on UPS today!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt

The hood open and fan blowing on the CAI = more air than actually flows on it when driving. Do you think air gets in there magically when you drive it?
And no, the argument of "trade one non-power making add-on for another" is not shrewd since I'm talking about an exhaust which I clearly stated the benefits of over a CAI (better sounding).

And yes, I did "back it up", did you read the thread I linked or not (and you're asking me what I didn't understand)? Worse times (with slips) with a CAI vs a stock box is pretty darn clear. Whether or not there is additional hp from the CAI seems pretty pointless when the times are worse with one. Are you done trying to justify your wasted $400?

Last edited by Spork3245; 10-27-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a fairly safe tune?