Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Got my 16 GT tuned. Here's the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
Lots of shops are focused on selling stuff to the Fast & Furious crowd and will tell them whatever it takes to close the deal. Not saying any of the shops being discussed would do such a thing. However, 50whp from bolting on headers....K. Maybe they're adding a bigger waste gate or something 8*) too.

Before you spend money - spend some time doing the research. Talk to 2 or 3 different shops. Find people with tuned cars and talk to them.

My favorite thing is delivering faster lap times in my relatively stock car than guys in either more expensive cars (C6 & C7 Vettes, Porches) or heavily modified cars (blowers, turbos, etc). Spend your money on the driver first. Can't claim a Skyline yet. Both owners are actually ****ing good drivers. jerks.

Also: It cracks my *** up to no end the number of people chasing more power who fail to put larger wheels(wider) and upgrade the braking system. 650Hp at the wheels rocks and the smokey burn outs look great. Just don't punch it when you get to the apex unless you really know how to control your car when the backend loses all grip. Or at the end of the long back straight where you are suddenly doing +20mph faster than before but you still have the same brakes and wheels....yard sale!

it's the Indian (native American not the ones with red dots) not the arrow.
From your post I think you would agree with me that most people have zero clue how to drive their car to its limits of performance.

Although I drag race my car only, I have had some seat time on a race track and learned proper roadway etc.

But doing research on mods for my car and following the path someone else has taken would have saved me thousands. If I only knew then what I know now lol...Such is life!
Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Mimi15GT

Isn't 402 whp with all those mods a little low? I would think it would be much higher. Too bad you didn't get a baseline of it stock. From what I've seen, the average wheel HP has been around 385. I will be getting mine dynoed on May 7th and am curious to see where I'm at with just the intake, tune, and cat back exhaust. Your car does sound nice with those mods.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

No offense to anyone, but these numbers to me seemed a little low. The fact that it is an automatic kinda helped me understand the numbers. Also you have to factor in the dyno, the weather conditions on that particular day, the fact that some engines will dyno lower or higher than the median, the actual tuner and his/her abilities, and the fact that this is still a new car and people have yet to everything about modding and tuning them. Lots of variables affect tuning.

With that said, most 5th Gen SS Camaros with similar mods are seeing hp numbers around 420 to the wheels as a standard. And they come with 426 hp. But I think the difference is that perhaps they are choking their engines off with the stock exhaust manifolds and intakes more than the GT is. I think Ford is making 435 hp but doing so with a much less restrictive exhaust and intake. Which is why cais aren't making much over stock. Looking at the stock airbox, it is basically a cai itself. And the exhaust manifold design is really top notch for a factory system. So there isn't much to gain. Stock they are putting out around 380 to the wheels...the manual trans that is. With these bolt ons they're gaining only about 20 hp...whereas those Camaros were gaining around 40. So really, the best bet is forced induction. And any bolt-on mods will just be for sound improvement, looks, and to individualize your car. Most of your gains will probably come from the tuning.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:24 AM
MikeBr

Originally Posted by jwog666
Horsepower is simply a calculation based on RPM and torque.

HP = (TQ x RPM) / 5252

Therefore HP should always equal TQ at 5252 RPM. And yet in the chart above, HP = TQ at 4700 RPM.

What am I missing? Is there some kind of correction factor for rear wheel HP vs. TQ?

Edit: Nevermind! I just noticed the Y axis scales are different. (Place "duh" icon here.)

Last edited by MikeBr; 05-10-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:33 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the torque is higher because with forced induction you are basically increacing the volume of the engine while under boost, for example, a NA engine uses 14.7 psiof atmospheric air pressure to fill the cylinders, now you boost an engine to 14 psi you are essentially taking the displacement and multiplying it x2 so a 4.6l engine is now in effect displacing 9.2l of air, this creates more torque. that and you are reading the dyno sheet wrong, this indicates peak torque and peak hp, they arent occurring at the same rpm. max hp was at 5500 max torque was at 3750
Old 05-10-2016, 11:50 AM
MikeBr

Originally Posted by squishbang
My favorite thing is delivering faster lap times in my relatively stock car than guys in either more expensive cars (C6 & C7 Vettes, Porches) or heavily modified cars (blowers, turbos, etc).
That, and your car probably is more driveable on the street. I've talked to late model Camaro/Corvette guys with cams, chips, $300 tunes, etc who can't seem to get a stable idle, or get rid of a slight hesitation. But hey, they claim the car is much faster!

This 2016 GT is my first Mustang since an 86 GT I owned from 86 to 89. For most of the years since then, I've had some kind of old Chevy. I can't tell you the number of guys with big cams and big carbs in cars that stumbled and jerked away from stop signs. And the idles were either "rough and almost die", or had to be so fast that the engine ran-on after shut-off.

I never got in a race, but I'd bet the conservatively-built, but quick-revving 327 in my 55 sedan would have outrun most of them, for at least a block or two! And with its QA1 shocks, sway bars, and Wilwood brakes I'm sure it would have out-corner and out-stop any of them.