Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Flat Plane Crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Elmo30086@gmail.com

Default Flat Plane Crank

I wish these crank came standard instead of the monster gt350, it sounds so good and make gobs of power.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

There is always additional cost associated with such goodies. That is why it is not in all cars, let alone all Mustangs
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

V8s with flat-plane cranks have the same second-order vibration problems that 4-cylinder engines have. and no, V8s with flat cranks don't make any more power. they might rev a little faster than crossplanes due to lower rotating mass.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Elmo30086@gmail.com

Ahhh i see, forever a student of the game.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:27 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

If the Flat Plane Engine was also available in a standard GT, I think I'd still rather have the standard 5.0L for my uses. For track purposes the Flat Plane has many advantages, but for an around town Mustang & think the standard Coyote is a better choice.... especially if you add a supercharger. I'm old school of course, but I like the sound of the standard Coyote better. Unfortunately with a supercharger you don't hear the pipes that much!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

You can still go with force induction on the flat plane crank engine. It's no magic. It's just better tech. All the stuff that works on the 5.0L engine will work on the 5.2L engine too. The ecu tuning will be different and the gains will be different. Given the 5.2L's better breathing capabilities it might get more benefit from a turbo or super charger than the 5.0L. However, given the number of GT350 cars rolling off the assembly line I doubt Hellion or anybody is going to spend much money developing a kit.

As for application: better tech. Ford is tuning the GT350s to favor the track application because that is where the journalists are going to experience the car and that is what they are going to talk about.

The technology in the 5.2L engine will trickle down to the GT but probably not for a few more years. Ford is going to want to get as much out of the GT350 line as they can before diluting sales.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
The technology in the 5.2L engine will trickle down to the GT but probably not for a few more years. Ford is going to want to get as much out of the GT350 line as they can before diluting sales.
what "technology?" the first Cadillac V8 in 1914 was a flat-plane crankshaft, the industry (except for Ferrari and some low-volume tiny V8s) went to cross-plane crankshafts because they eliminated vibrations without needing add-on balance shafts.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

The technology is producing a Ferrari engine at Ford prices. While Chevy and Dodge are boring out their blocks and throwing Superchargers to get more power. With the 5.2L Ford is taking a different direction and one I think is better.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

The technology is producing a Ferrari engine at Ford prices. While Chevy and Dodge are boring out their blocks and throwing Superchargers to get more power. With the 5.2L Ford is taking a different direction and one I think is better.
My only comment about the Flat Plane engine is that it appears from its specs it would not be as good an engine for the needs of the average GT buyer. I haven't driven a Flat Plane Crank engine so I don't know how much different they are from a 5.0L Coyote for around town driving. I think the torque curves makes it better for racing than driving around town. Besides... I want all the creature comforts of a GT Premium!

Obviously there is a reason for the design. For our education can you explain what is superior in the technology used in the Flat Plane crane engines? I understand there's an advantage related to vibration. I wish Ford had built the 5.0L Coyote with the strongest internals, crank, pistons, etc. & pushed it to higher RPM's for the Mustang GT. Maybe it is not necessary to have those components, but Old Schoolers like me would feel better with those internals. I think they did that with the Laguna Seca Mustangs, or am I wrong?

Relating to superchargers, I think they are great because they have little affect until you open the throttle substantially. I drove my last supercharged 4.6L on a long trip (1500 miles) & it got 27 MPG & I had the extra HP if I wanted it. I wonder why they didn't supercharge the Flat Plane engine? Maybe it would be less reliable, or it had to do with racing classes requiring naturally aspirated.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

You still haven't explained why re-arranging the crankpins is "higher technology." especially when that particular arrangement of crankpins has been around for a century.

Quick Reply: Flat Plane Crank