Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Pay attention to the tires!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Default Pay attention to the tires!

I had a blast with my GT through the summer and fall and managed to burn off the rear tires in ~6000 miles. In that I did 5 track days and generally drove like a hooligan the whole time. This car when setup correctly is just too much fun.

Anyway - I called Discount Tire told them I needed new tires, told them what I needed. They said they'd have my tires the next day. Next day I go over and they put them on.

I travel a lot for business so the car sat in the garage a bit and there were a lot of storms so I didn't get to play around much for a few weeks. But when I did I noticed my car didn't feel right all of a sudden. In long sweeping turns the car would shimmy around. Not a confidence inspiring feeling. It was all wrong. WTF?

Again, I'm stupid busy getting things going so it takes time to get to see Gregg my mechanic. So I just have to live with the car not feeling right. I even lifted the car myself and looked around trying to see if I could spot something broken.

Finally I get time to go out to the track and Gregg's garage. He lifts the car and we investigate but we can't find anything. Finally as we are putting the car together and we're talking about tires he looks at my new rears tires and says they have a tread life of 400. I look and finally notice the !@#^@#$^!@#%!~@ "ALL SEASON" lettering on the !@#^%@^!@#^!^ side wall. The answer had been there the whole !#%^!#^!#^!@#^!@%!#%^@#^T time. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!
The front tires were still the stock summer Pirelli P-Zero Summer whatevers. The idiots at Discount Tire put on the Pirelli P-Zero All Seasons - not what I asked for.

So today's lesson boys and girls is: pay close attention to what the dude at the tire store puts on your car. It might not be what you asked for.

I'll be paying them a visit tomorrow to see if we can correct this.

On the other hand: knowing what I'm feeling from the car and why I'm feeling it and knowing that I have roughly half the grip in the rear that I do in front has allowed for some hooligan fun again. So it's not all bad.

Plus: perhaps I should try out that line lock thing everybody keeps talking about.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:35 AM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang

Plus: perhaps I should try out that line lock thing everybody keeps talking about.
I like where you're head's at! Let me know what the tire shop says.

-J
Old 02-10-2016, 11:30 AM
vincep99

Good advice!

Also everyone needs to look at the arrow of rotation as these are directional tires.

I have had good luck with my Discount Tire but like everything in the world results vary
Old 02-10-2016, 12:00 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Good advice. Tires look almost identical sometimes.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

I have had the same type of problems a few times. Motorcycle tires are really a concern. especially at the HD dealer. I have had zero problems with Discount Tire. I like that they only sell tires and wheels,have the best prices and will let you stand there while they are being installed. Never a scratched wheel.
Good luck.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Did the receipt from Discount match what they put on the car? If it does and you didn't bother to check the receipt or the tires before you drove off, then part of the blame with leaving with the incorrect tires ones falls on you for just taking their word for it.

If they didn't listen to you and put on the All Seasons, it's still their mistake, there's no getting around that but, not taking the time to read a receipt or check your own tires is still your oversight.

Mistakes happen. The best shop can forget to put the oil cap back on or leave a wrench under the hood. 30 seconds of your time can save you a boatload of frustration and potentially more money in the future.

I've never had an issue with Discount but that doesn't mean I don't check the work they do before I drive off. Dealer and any other shops too. If they don't like it fug em, I go elsewhere.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

To be clear: I'm not bashing Discount too hard. Mistakes do happen and I should have looked closer.
It's also amazing how big a difference there is between all season and summer tires.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's all good, sorry if I can off a bit brash.

Yeah, I will never go back to all seasons...of course, I live in AZ so there's maybe one week total out of the year where an all season would be better than the summer tires i have on all year long
Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 PM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
I had a blast with my GT through the summer and fall and managed to burn off the rear tires in ~6000 miles. In that I did 5 track days and generally drove like a hooligan the whole time. This car when setup correctly is just too much fun.

Anyway - I called Discount Tire told them I needed new tires, told them what I needed. They said they'd have my tires the next day. Next day I go over and they put them on.

I travel a lot for business so the car sat in the garage a bit and there were a lot of storms so I didn't get to play around much for a few weeks. But when I did I noticed my car didn't feel right all of a sudden. In long sweeping turns the car would shimmy around. Not a confidence inspiring feeling. It was all wrong. WTF?

Again, I'm stupid busy getting things going so it takes time to get to see Gregg my mechanic. So I just have to live with the car not feeling right. I even lifted the car myself and looked around trying to see if I could spot something broken.

Finally I get time to go out to the track and Gregg's garage. He lifts the car and we investigate but we can't find anything. Finally as we are putting the car together and we're talking about tires he looks at my new rears tires and says they have a tread life of 400. I look and finally notice the !@#^@#$^!@#%!~@ "ALL SEASON" lettering on the !@#^%@^!@#^!^ side wall. The answer had been there the whole !#%^!#^!#^!@#^!@%!#%^@#^T time. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!
The front tires were still the stock summer Pirelli P-Zero Summer whatevers. The idiots at Discount Tire put on the Pirelli P-Zero All Seasons - not what I asked for.

So today's lesson boys and girls is: pay close attention to what the dude at the tire store puts on your car. It might not be what you asked for.

I'll be paying them a visit tomorrow to see if we can correct this.

On the other hand: knowing what I'm feeling from the car and why I'm feeling it and knowing that I have roughly half the grip in the rear that I do in front has allowed for some hooligan fun again. So it's not all bad.

Sorry to hear that bro. I had the same thing happen to me with my Corvette. Went to a local Tire shop and was pricing tires and he said the Michelin Pilots were $1500 (including installation). The OEM Goodyear Eagles were $2200 installed and I heard so many good things about the Michelin Pilots that it was a no brainer. After a few years later going to my mechanic to get the rear end fluid changed he asked me why I have all season tires on my car and I was like WTF?? Since I don't drive my Vette spirited like many other folks it didn't dawn on me even though I noticed the rear end seemed to be a bit "jumpy" when taking a curve over some road imperfections.

I was ticked off to put it mildly. The tire shop put Michelin Pilot Sports A/S (all season) runflats instead of the Pilot SUPER Sports (which is the tire I though I was purchasing). I should have known something was fishy when the tire guy said the Michelins were the only tire out of the choices to offer a 40K mile warranty. Well I just got my tax return and purchased a set of four Michelin Pilot Super Sport Runflats that ran me $1800 (including installation). The non-runflats that I wanted are hard to find in the 19 inch size for my Vette at the moment. So I settled for the runflat version even though thet are a bit more expensive. I will never make that mistake again!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Ive never had this issue as Ive always had the luxory of mounting/balancing my own tiresbut now that I no longer have access to mount/balance machines I will definitely be watching for this.