Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

EcoBoost or V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 10:17 PM
lukaspanic

Question EcoBoost or V6?

I know this is probably not a question that can be answered in one definite way since a lot of it is taste and personal preference but I am asking it anyway. To understand why, here a little context:
I have never owned a Mustang and I am currently driving a leased Hyundai Elantra Hatchback with a whopping 0.5hp. In a few month my lease is up and I will buy a Mustang, but which one?
The GT is out. I love the V8 and its sound and power but I have only one car and I drive at least 60 miles a day so 17mpg combined (probably 11 when I drive it) is just not acceptable. That leaves either the V6 or the EcoBoost an both have pros and cons. I'll list the pros and cons here but I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this, especially from owners. maybe I am even wrong in some assumptions and you can correct me. All in all this is not meant to rank the V6 against the EB, everyone has to do that for themselves, just to help me make up my mind.

Let's start with the V6:
+ cheaper
+ sounds nicer, even nicer with exhaust mods
+ better pull from standing start (from what I hear) which (-) is lost once the EB gets into boost
+ no active sound thingiedoodler so i can update the radio with out making the car sound different
- the rims in the 51A package are ok but the options are not great, more choices in the EB (can be fixed with aftermarket rims if wife allows)
- worse mpg
- no chance for premium package, leather and all the other creature comforts

EcoBoost
+ better gas mileage
+ more performance but (-) at the cost of premium fuel
+ multiple packages to outfit the car (premium, performance)
+ more rim choices
+ drive modes (premium only)
- more expensive
- sound, from what I have listened to not even mods can help

What do you think?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:24 AM
JimC

Just because of the lack of the premium package, I would go with the ecoboost if I was ordering a Mustang today. I've driven both a 3.7 and ecoboost and was really impressed with the ecoboost.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I've driven both (own the 3.7). If I wanted the auto, I might get the turbo. I think turbo spool up better and stay in the power band easier with an automatic. I prefer the 3.7 with a stick shift. I don't really like the sound of my 3.7, I wouldn't chose one over the other because of the sound.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM
lukaspanic

I should probably mention that I am leaning towards the manual.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I haven't driven any flavor.
Pretty keen on a eco until I read here about carbon build up and codes being thrown.
Now leaning toward a V6.
To replace my 04 GT vert with a similar 16 with auto,seem pretty pricey,given what appears to me as not such great quality,and close to Audi A5 vert prices.I'm old and don't care about going fast or mods,etc.I just want a very nice top down cruiser.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'd make sure I'd get the 3.31:1 diff, not thr 2.73:1
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 PM
lukaspanic

The stock for the V6 is 3.15 and 3.31 for the EcoBoost. Both are available with an optional 3.55.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

EcoBoost has enough power along with the nature friendly thing, so I'd always go with the EcoBoost.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

The eco has decent gas milage, that is it. I have test driven one and I prefer my 06 V6. The ride is much improved but even though the numbers say different, I felt like I was going faster in my old v6 and when this truck started spraying me with his exhaust, I tried to pass him with the eco and I felt it didn't get up very well.

The v6 has no options. I was very disappointed, its like ford doesn't want to make it any more so they give you the worst options. But if the HD radio and few other premiums is not your thing, then I would the v6. You could always aftermarket that anyway (if the lease allows to you too - put it back at the end). The fact that ford has to pump sound through the speakers to make people think the car sounds good just puts me off completely. It may sound good to me, but everyone else is thinking differently.

Are you sure the GT only gets 17 hw? That seams really low. That's worse then most trucks.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM
lukaspanic

I admit the 17 was only a number I threw out there and it was meant as combined. Highway is a nice high number but no one ever drives 100% highway. The only number that counts in my opinion is combined.
The Mustang is going to be a purchase, not a lease. I am pretty sure most of the premium options can be aftermarketed. For that reason and because of the sound system I would give a point to the V6. I can replace the radio and the car won't sound different.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost or V6?