Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Shaker Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Tom, Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your input!

I have a 2011 with the shaker system and added a small subwoofer box in the trunk with two 8" subs and a 150 watt amp with a sub volume control up front. Works great and adds just enough bass to fill in what the shaker system fails to produce. I also added new mid/high speakers in the front, that improved clarity somewhat but the new speakers are limited by the clarity of the head unit.
Make sure that you do order the shaker system, if you don't you'll never get enough midbass up front with any kind of aftermarket speakers and it'll always sound thin up front. I used to install car stereo for years and this would be a tough car to get good sound out of unless you made a lot of extensive modifications to it
Tom,

That sounds a lot like what I did to my 2012. I used the Kicker replacement 8" door subs with a Sony amp, hate to see them go on the 2016. I often need my whole trunk, when it's full, subs in the trunk don't perform very well. Plus, since the door subs are right next to me, I get the full power, not like trunk subs that have to push sound though the back seat.
this is nonsense.
Btw, JZ has insulted everyone here multiple times, we kinda expect it from him. I've met people from Harmon, I know that many of them (and you) are much nicer than me too, lol!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Tombrochard

Hey buddy, I didn't start the insults, I believe you did with your nonsense remark.

In regards to the rest of your comments, I think I've got better things to do than go back and forth with a DIY guy that doesn't what he's talking about.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Tombrochard

Hi chrome shadow, thanks for your kind comments. I looked into doing what you did, the door speakers are a bitch to modify. Bravo you got them in, having woofers up front is the perfect place to have them. You'd laugh if you saw my sub box, it's literally five inches deep and is directly behind the back seats. When I built it I had intended to fabricate small metal "L" brackets and bolt it in. My measurements were off slightly and the box literally wedges in there. I'm sure I never would have gotten it to wedge so nicely if I had intended it, but my "mistake" turned out to work really well. Now the box is removable if you give it a good push. Volume output isn't bad either, I used two very efficient 8 ohm home woofers wired in parallel (for 4 ohm resistance as required by car amps) and a JL audio amp I bought on EBay. All in all I think I had about three hundred bucks into it and it gives it just that last octave of bass the factory system doesn't have. And I can remove the sub box whenever I'm dragging around parts for my kid's Camaro project...
Old 03-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Very cool! I always enjoy seeing people get creative to meet their own goals for their cars!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 AM
RawisTheGameHhH
1st Gear Member

i would love for this to get back on topic because i have a '14 currently with the shaker pro system and it seems that the sound from mid volume to full doesn't really get louder; is that fixed on the '16?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Tombrochard

Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH
i would love for this to get back on topic because i have a '14 currently with the shaker pro system and it seems that the sound from mid volume to full doesn't really get louder; is that fixed on the '16?
good point, lets get back on topic. where do you keep your bass control on the radio? Middle or anywhere above? If above how much? My guess is you're running out of power from the little amps in the car and they can't go up in volume
Old 03-24-2016, 10:14 AM
RawisTheGameHhH
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tombrochard
good point, lets get back on topic. where do you keep your bass control on the radio? Middle or anywhere above? If above how much? My guess is you're running out of power from the little amps in the car and they can't go up in volume
i think it is currently about 3 or 4 past middle; i will throttle that down and test while i own this car for the final few weeks
Old 03-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Tombrochard

Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH
i think it is currently about 3 or 4 past middle; i will throttle that down and test while i own this car for the final few weeks
Here's what I want you to do; put the bass in the middle and let me know if it's loud enough for what you want. I know you more bass, this is just to get a handle on the mids and highs and if they're adequate for the volume level you want. If it's adequate and you're handy with woodworking I'll give you the dimensions of the lightweight sub box I built and you can add bass to the car. If you're keeping it? You mentioned the final few weeks?
One last note - what kind of music do you like to listen to? That needs to be considered in the design of the sub box, woofers and amp.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:02 PM
Tombrochard

[QUOTE=Chromeshadow;8535547]Tom, Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your input!

Hey Chromeshadow, what part of wisconsin are you from? My fiance is from Medford, about 45 minutes from Wausua
Old 03-24-2016, 06:08 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Medford? I didn't know WI had a Medford, LOL. I'm a little south of Madison.

Quick Reply: Shaker Audio