Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2016 GT/CS - Cylinder 4 and 8 Misfire - 1600 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:18 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

yeah, if it turns out to be contaminated gas then the tune won't void the warranty. Though if it is bad gas, Ford probably still won't pay for it, since it's not a defect. Your recourse will then be to get the gas station/company to reimburse you for the repair.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ucinn
The only way they can void his warranty is if they can prove that it was caused by the tune..with it back to the stock tune and still doing it, it will be pretty hard for them to prove. I wouldn't sweat it, sounds like bad gas to me..it would be quickand chep for them to just drain it and put some good gas in there for a check. It was running fine until you filled up, it only makes sense that it would be the first thing to check/blame.
So much fail here. Ford doesn't have to prove anything. They'll just refuse to work on the car if they see it was tuned.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:40 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I can't believe that they haven't checked for a failed coil pack or clogged injector on those two cylinders. Or did they and we just don't know about it?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:53 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by ucinn
The only way they can void his warranty is if they can prove that it was caused by the tune..with it back to the stock tune and still doing it, it will be pretty hard for them to prove. I wouldn't sweat it, sounds like bad gas to me..it would be quick and cheap for them to just drain it and put some good gas in there for a check. It was running fine until you filled up, it only makes sense that it would be the first thing to check/blame.
Originally Posted by scottmach
So much fail here. Ford doesn't have to prove anything. They'll just refuse to work on the car if they see it was tuned.
That is the problem - Ford has deep pockets and engineers at their disposal. So pretty easy for them to come up with how the tune is A proximate cause of a problem. The burden of persuasion then shifts to the owner, who doesn't have deep pockets to prove it wasn't the case nor the engineers at his call to prove otherwise. The only thing then is if there is an engine failure and the only change was something so unrelated that the judge would say "come on now, you really expect me to believe that changing the seat covers caused this?".
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

The MM act specifically states that that law will NOT cover aftermarket performance parts. The act is there so one cannot be denied warranty coverage should you replace oil or air filters and spark plugs that aren't OEM. This lawyer has been down this road and will tell you you're basically screwed.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...1/#post2371837
Old 09-04-2020, 02:13 PM
Mandoisboss

Default Hey everyone same thing happening to me cyl 4 misfire p0304

P0304 and p0308 Same thing happening to me I have a 2015 mustang gt and it’s misfiring on cylinder 4 it’s not all the time and come in and goes mostly when I rev past 3k and let rpm drop, if I wot rev past 4K rpm the car runs good . Once it drops it starts misfiring bad ! I have checked most things changed spark plugs for motor craft . Changed coil #4 to a new one. Changed the injector to another cylinder and persists on cyl 4, the other day it randomly threw cyl 8 misfire too. We checked compression and seems normal on all cylinders , When the car runs good it’s hauls and runs like brand new . 70xxx miles on it I bought from dealer about two months ago the car used to have Procharger and tune ngauge hptuners, but I guess was put to stock . Checked resistance for injectors and for wire . Help please maybe a crank relearn or a KAM reset??
Old 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM
Mandoisboss

Default Did you figure this out hellion850???

Originally Posted by hellion850
Hey everybody

Wanted to get some opinions on this. Right now the Mustang is in the shop.

My car is a 2016 Mustang GT Premium California Special Auto
I bought it brand new.
It has 1600 miles, a few good pulls but mostly daily driving 20 miles to work on backroads or in traffic.

Mods
AirAid CAI - the one that does not require a tune
BAMA Tune

I have been running the CAI and the Bama tune for about a month with no problems whatsoever and enjoying the car as my DD.

I drove home Monday night, filled my tank at the Valero next just down the street and went to bed.

When I woke up, I opened the garage door and remote started the car like I do every morning to warm the engine up before I go to work. When I got to the car I noted the CEL was blinking and when I sat in the seat I noticed the car was shaking.

Plugged in the tuner to find that I was getting a P0308 code. Cylinder 8 misfire. I reset the tune back to stock and drove around the neighbor hood. Reset the battery etc. to see if anything would change and it persisted each time after clearing the codes and restarting the car. The big point though was that the same physical symptoms persisted. The car violently shaking when idle.

So I took it to a dealership close by as I have warranties and extended warranties. Left the CAI on but with the stock tune. They held on to the car for two days with little to no communication and the result was that they could not figure it out. They said no way that the CAI did this and also found out that cylinder 4 is also misfiring but not registering that it is (no code thrown).

They tested compression, crankshaft sensor, etc etc. and came up with nothing. I ended up taking the car back to the dealership I bought it from as they were offering a loaner so I can get back to work.

They asked for the stock airbox so they can reinstall it and continue diagnostics. They dont think it was the CAI either but they have to resintall the stock airbox to prove it. They also have no idea what is causing any of this.

BAMA says it has nothing to do with their tune. Some have said "bad gas" but this gas station is 6 months old and ran very well and I fill up there once a week. The mechanic currently working on it said "Ive worked on cars for 30 years and have seen bad gas once."

Looking for some opinions as I am mentally freaking out that if it was something like the bama tune that did this, warranty wont cover it.

mine is doing the same on cyl 4