Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2016 GT/CS - Cylinder 4 and 8 Misfire - 1600 miles

Old 05-27-2016, 11:59 AM
hellion850

Default 2016 GT/CS - Cylinder 4 and 8 Misfire - 1600 miles

Hey everybody

Wanted to get some opinions on this. Right now the Mustang is in the shop.

My car is a 2016 Mustang GT Premium California Special Auto
I bought it brand new.
It has 1600 miles, a few good pulls but mostly daily driving 20 miles to work on backroads or in traffic.

Mods
AirAid CAI - the one that does not require a tune
BAMA Tune

I have been running the CAI and the Bama tune for about a month with no problems whatsoever and enjoying the car as my DD.

I drove home Monday night, filled my tank at the Valero next just down the street and went to bed.

When I woke up, I opened the garage door and remote started the car like I do every morning to warm the engine up before I go to work. When I got to the car I noted the CEL was blinking and when I sat in the seat I noticed the car was shaking.

Plugged in the tuner to find that I was getting a P0308 code. Cylinder 8 misfire. I reset the tune back to stock and drove around the neighbor hood. Reset the battery etc. to see if anything would change and it persisted each time after clearing the codes and restarting the car. The big point though was that the same physical symptoms persisted. The car violently shaking when idle.

So I took it to a dealership close by as I have warranties and extended warranties. Left the CAI on but with the stock tune. They held on to the car for two days with little to no communication and the result was that they could not figure it out. They said no way that the CAI did this and also found out that cylinder 4 is also misfiring but not registering that it is (no code thrown).

They tested compression, crankshaft sensor, etc etc. and came up with nothing. I ended up taking the car back to the dealership I bought it from as they were offering a loaner so I can get back to work.

They asked for the stock airbox so they can reinstall it and continue diagnostics. They dont think it was the CAI either but they have to resintall the stock airbox to prove it. They also have no idea what is causing any of this.

BAMA says it has nothing to do with their tune. Some have said "bad gas" but this gas station is 6 months old and ran very well and I fill up there once a week. The mechanic currently working on it said "Ive worked on cars for 30 years and have seen bad gas once."

Looking for some opinions as I am mentally freaking out that if it was something like the bama tune that did this, warranty wont cover it.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I have had bad gas before and it had these same symptoms. I don't think the gas stations age has anything to do with it. There isn't any way I can think of where the tune could have caused this. Plus putting it back to stock tune and still doing it, I would really bet it's the gas...keep us posted on this.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:29 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

yeah most times bad gas is not from the tanks but the gas that's brought in. It may not be refined properly or has water in it or some other contaminant. I doubt it's your tune though as stated above if it's doing it stock it's something else.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:38 PM
hellion850

ok cool, thanks for helping add confidence. i'll keep on it and the dealer has been pretty good so far so im not overly concerned. Though as many times as I tell them about the resounding advice about bad gas, I don't think they are listening.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:46 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

wonder if they checked all the connections in the fuel system. I've seen bits of plastic in connectors before that caused fuel flow issues.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

You do realize you could be headed for trouble should you have a REAL issue? You've screwed with your warranty with the tune. If something is seriously wrong Ford is going to dig a little and see you had a tune regardless if you put the car back to stock. And you may be footing a serious bill.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:44 AM
hellion850

Originally Posted by scottmach
You do realize you could be headed for trouble should you have a REAL issue? You've screwed with your warranty with the tune. If something is seriously wrong Ford is going to dig a little and see you had a tune regardless if you put the car back to stock. And you may be footing a serious bill.
So helpful. Thank you. Feels good to point out others mistakes doesn't it.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:46 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Does it feel good? Of course not but what were you thinking by tuning your car and on top of that buying an extended warranty you may have pissed away?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 AM
hellion850

Originally Posted by scottmach
Does it feel good? Of course not but what were you thinking by tuning your car and on top of that buying an extended warranty you may have pissed away?
Yeah, I made a mistake. I am well aware of it. I have made many in my past and will make more in my future.

Thank you, your service and effort is really appreciated.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

The only way they can void his warranty is if they can prove that it was caused by the tune..with it back to the stock tune and still doing it, it will be pretty hard for them to prove. I wouldn't sweat it, sounds like bad gas to me..it would be quickand chep for them to just drain it and put some good gas in there for a check. It was running fine until you filled up, it only makes sense that it would be the first thing to check/blame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 GT/CS - Cylinder 4 and 8 Misfire - 1600 miles