Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Electrical Gremlins. Anyone else?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM
jimbo285

Default Electrical Gremlins. Anyone else?

Last week when I got in my car, the radio display never lit up. the only button that functioned on the radio panel was the cd eject button. The cd popped out, and when I re-inserted it, the volume functioned. When I got to my destination (couple miles away) I shut off the engine and walked away with the fob in my pocket. effectively resetting all electrical power. When I started it back up, everything worked good. Fast forward to this morning, and I noticed my phone was not paired. I quickly felt my shirt pocket to reassure myself that I did have my phone. I checked to see that Bluetooth was still selected, and it was. I went to sync options and saw Bluetooth was off in the car. I turned it back on and tried to re-pair the phone, but it failed. It does "see" my phone as a past paired phone, but wont pair.

Gremlins running amok with anyone else?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by jimbo285
Last week when I got in my car, the radio display never lit up. the only button that functioned on the radio panel was the cd eject button. The cd popped out, and when I re-inserted it, the volume functioned. When I got to my destination (couple miles away) I shut off the engine and walked away with the fob in my pocket. effectively resetting all electrical power. When I started it back up, everything worked good. Fast forward to this morning, and I noticed my phone was not paired. I quickly felt my shirt pocket to reassure myself that I did have my phone. I checked to see that Bluetooth was still selected, and it was. I went to sync options and saw Bluetooth was off in the car. I turned it back on and tried to re-pair the phone, but it failed. It does "see" my phone as a past paired phone, but wont pair.

Hey jimbo285,

Is the SYNC software up to date? I also recommend performing a master reset on the vehicle. To do so, check out this link: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...html?sync=sync

Cara
Old 07-28-2016, 04:07 AM
AngelDeath
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimbo285
Last week when I got in my car, the radio display never lit up.

This happened to me last Monday. Left my fiance's house and went up the block to get smokes before heading home. Everything was fine, a 1 min drive, shut the car off came back (2 mins tops) and started the car, black screen, thought that was odd, shut the car off and started it again, nothing, drove 4 miles home, nothing worked on the unit, not even voice commands or the rear backup camera. Was a silent drive. Got home turned the car off and then put it in accessory mode, still nothing, shut the car off, opened the car door and put it in accessory mode again, and this time it came on, dont know if it was a coincidence that it finally came on or if the door being open triggered something, took pictures to show the dealership, cars in the shop as they are investigating.

FordIVTteam,

there is no update for the 2016 its still at 1.0 until Sept when 2.0 is suppose to come out.

There are a lot of bugs in the sync 3. I have been speaking to the VP of operations at my dealership, basically its gotten to the point that he told me from now on he's coming to me about the sync 3

Here is a short list:

1) Emails being picked up as text msgs: Already took the car showed the VP he was amazed, I narrowed it down to Sync 3 is picking up emails from msn.com accounts. (Its not the phone, its the MAP profile and default email apps that come with the HTC and Samsung. (Only affects android phones AFAIK)

2) The navigation system: You can not delete any address in your previous destinations list at all, yet the manual as far as I read (maybe missed it) doesn't state how many it holds and if it cycles and overwrites when the limit is reached.

b) After you enter a destination, if it finds traffic on the route it displays it on the top, problem is it disappears before you can hit view. If your not paying attention you will miss it. The notification should either remain longer, or a audible sound should occur, or sync 3 should notify you by stating there is traffic on the route, or the notification should remain at the top with two buttons: cancel and view.

c) When entering destination by voice, instead of having to say the city, it should also pick up stating the zip code, EX: 8317 St James ave 11373.

3) Text Msgs: When a text comes in and you choose to hear it, sync 3 should ask if you wish to reply, without you having to hit the speak button and say reply to text, the option should be there after reading it.

b) When replying by voice and choosing your response and Sync 3 sends it, it should either: 1) change the screen back to the screen you were at (Radio, Home, Navigation, etc) or the voice command of stating home or home screen should at least bring you back to that instead of taking your eyes off the road to change back to where you were.

c) Should have an option to either edit any or create at least 2-3 of your own msgs to the list. Funny none of them saying: "Currently driving. Respond soon.

d) The predetermined msgs have a grammar/punctuation bug: Any number you choose for Sync 3 to send as a MSG has the sync 3 signature, But someone forgot to add a space between the predetermined MSG and the signature. And why no option to edit the signature? Also signature is far too long.

4) Pronunciation of numbers in text msgs: In a text MSG Sync 3 CANNOT say double digits, any number higher than 9 it reads as two numbers, EX: 19 (nineteen) is pronounced 1 9 (One nine).

Thats my short list.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hi AngelDeath,

I’m glad you were provided with these details. However, if you find the blank screen with SYNC 3, you can try a ignition cycle or SYNC module reset to get the system to start up.

Ignition/Key Cycle:
• Start the vehicle and let it run for 30 seconds.
• Turn off the vehicle, remove the key (if applicable), and open the driver’s door for 60 seconds.
• Close the door and let the vehicle shut down for 60 seconds.
• Turn the vehicle back on.

SYNC Module Reset:
•Select radio.
•Hold the power button (center of the volume ****) + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

The display will indicate when the module is resetting. You may then release the buttons. I hope you find this helpful until the bugs are resolved!

Joy
Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM
AngelDeath
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi AngelDeath,

I’m glad you were provided with these details. However, if you find the blank screen with SYNC 3, you can try a ignition cycle or SYNC module reset to get the system to start up.

Ignition/Key Cycle:
• Start the vehicle and let it run for 30 seconds.
• Turn off the vehicle, remove the key (if applicable), and open the driver’s door for 60 seconds.
• Close the door and let the vehicle shut down for 60 seconds.
• Turn the vehicle back on.

SYNC Module Reset:
•Select radio.
•Hold the power button (center of the volume ****) + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

The display will indicate when the module is resetting. You may then release the buttons. I hope you find this helpful until the bugs are resolved!

Joy
That explains why the door being opened worked. So it wasnt a coincidence. Yeah I got back my car from the dealership, they have no idea why the screen had no power. Guess the gremlins really do come out after midnight.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:12 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

Not sure about the SYNC3, but my 2015 with MyFord Touch froze up while driving yesterday. Radio stopped playing music. When I toggled the volume on my steering wheel, it displayed "phone volume" going up and down. About 3 minutes later, everything started working again. The system gets hot to the touch, I have noticed. I think it was overheating.

Last edited by CaptainX; 07-28-2016 at 08:43 PM.