Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Clunking sound when going over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Enrique Rojas

Default Clunking sound when going over bumps?

Hi everyone! I posted this under suspension earlier but it was suggested I post here instead.

I bought a new 2016 V6 last month. After about 400 miles I started to notice this clunking/knocking sound coming from the front whenever I go over small bumps or uneven road. It's hard to describe but it sounds/feels like something knocking under the car (link to video of it). Definitely coming from the tire area. The weird thing is that it ONLY does it after a cold start and will go away after a few minutes/miles of driving. I'm worried it will get worse once the weather starts to get cooler. I took it to Ford (showed them this video) and they kept it overnight but said they couldn't hear anything and that everything underneath looked good. They said to bring it back when it gets worse. I just had a friend who's an amateur mechanic drive it and he said it sounds like strut or sway bar problem. Does that sound right? The car has 1090 miles now.

***Noise on video at 0:15, 0:19, 0:31, 0:51 and 1:02***

Old 08-28-2016, 08:44 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

My recommendation is for you to drive with the dealer tech. Only you know when it's most audible.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:39 AM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

I installed some Eibach springs on my GT and driving it home I heard the same thing. It ended up being a rubber boot had slipped off in the back, we had to take the subframe back down and slip it back in. Not sure what the actual name was.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If it's under warranty have the dealer fix it.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:32 AM
Fady Chalhoub

i have a 2016 GT and i am having the same issue, and i sent it to the dealer , the technician heard it and they couldnt find out what the problem is , did you solve your issue ? let me know plz
Old 06-28-2018, 02:11 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

It's usually end links or sway bar bushings.

You're making so much noise mishandling the phone, you can't tell
what's you and what's the car...
Old 01-06-2020, 02:19 PM
avann323

Default Thud

Originally Posted by Fady Chalhoub
i have a 2016 GT and i am having the same issue, and i sent it to the dealer , the technician heard it and they couldnt find out what the problem is , did you solve your issue ? let me know plz

did you ever find out what it was?
Old 04-09-2020, 12:35 PM
Dexter2010

Get ball joint are common. Make sure they were inspected properly at time of inspection. They get missed a lot.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Tybatt2

Could be a few things, your video wouldn’t play or load, it said error occurred as well as on YouTube. But personally a clunk is hard to diagnose without hearing it. Sometimes if all the balljoints, sway bars and wheel bearings are checked and nothing is found, it could be an oddball bad strut. Sometimes the struts are faulty from the factory and make noise like a soft clunk especially when cold. Then once they’re drive the oil inside the shock within the strut will begin to lubricate itself and the noise will disappear. I think it could be that especially since you say it’s only when the cars cold, but it would actually be because it hasn’t been driver for a little while and all the oil inside the strut has settled and has to be moved around again. If it’s under warranty be persistent, don’t let the tell you to come back if it’s worse they’re just trying to be lazy and not figure it out. Keep bringing it back over and over and eventually they’ll throw parts at it until it stops because they don’t want the headache lol. Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Tybatt2

Originally Posted by Tybatt2
Could be a few things, your video wouldn’t play or load, it said error occurred as well as on YouTube. But personally a clunk is hard to diagnose without hearing it. Sometimes if all the balljoints, sway bars and wheel bearings are checked and nothing is found, it could be an oddball bad strut. Sometimes the struts are faulty from the factory and make noise like a soft clunk especially when cold. Then once they’re drive the oil inside the shock within the strut will begin to lubricate itself and the noise will disappear. I think it could be that especially since you say it’s only when the cars cold, but it would actually be because it hasn’t been driver for a little while and all the oil inside the strut has settled and has to be moved around again. If it’s under warranty be persistent, don’t let the tell you to come back if it’s worse they’re just trying to be lazy and not figure it out. Keep bringing it back over and over and eventually they’ll throw parts at it until it stops because they don’t want the headache lol. Hope this helps

forgot to add.. the oil inside the strut lubricates the valves within the shock*** trying to explain what’s inside to help you understand

Quick Reply: Clunking sound when going over bumps?