Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2017 Mustang GT MT-82 fluid changes...pls help!

Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Sam Ranieri

Question 2017 Mustang GT MT-82 fluid changes...pls help!

Hi all,
I know this gets asked a lot regarding this transmission but I don't think I have seen one for the 2017 (not sure if it matters). As I have discovered, the MT-82 tranny is very notchy and not smooth....at all. I have done my research and found out that getting a short throw shifter installed, a tranny bracket, or a change to better gear oil might help. My issue lies with the warranty. As a brand new car I don't want the warranty to be voided and I have been getting STONEWALLED by Ford when looking for answers.

I asked a dealership service manager and he flat out said that changing to a synthetic gear oil will be "too fine for the tranny and will leak, and therefore void the warranty". Sounds like BS. He also said a Ford built and installed short throw shifter might void it depending on the issue that may arise.

Ford Central doesn't have a technical department to talk to at all so no help there.

I even emailed the manufacturers of the MT-82 and they even told me not to change the fluid because it might change the tranny's shifting behavior. I am unsure what to do because on every forum on God's green Earth I have seen "Change the tranny fluid" but all of the 'official' people are telling me not to basically. Any final thoughts or help?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

I think FORD's OEM fluid is synthetic so that makes no sense!!

I thought they got the MT82 shifting cleaned up a lot in '16 and '17??
Old 02-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Sam Ranieri

Right?! That service manager obviously just manages the people and not the repairs...

And I think I've read it has been steadily improved but it still consistently falls short. I mean my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport had a smoother tranny than my new GT.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

How many miles on your 2017 car??

Mine has gotten much smoother after 15K miles!!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

The MT82 switched to the synthetic dual-clutch transaxle fluid in 2012. Leave it be.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If there are problems with the tranny for your year car, ford will release a TSB to address it correctly. Simply trying to fix it by guess may lead to making it worse or even worse than that, voiding your transmission warranty. Have the dealer document the complaint. If it fails under warranty or after a TSB is released, you'll have documented proof that your tranny is/was affected so even if they try to say your car isn't eligible for the TSB due to mileage, you'll have documented proof the problem started well before the warranty expired.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If there are problems with the tranny for your year car, ford will release a TSB to address it correctly. Simply trying to fix it by guess may lead to making it worse or even worse than that, voiding your transmission warranty. Have the dealer document the complaint. If it fails under warranty or after a TSB is released, you'll have documented proof that your tranny is/was affected so even if they try to say your car isn't eligible for the TSB due to mileage, you'll have documented proof the problem started well before the warranty expired.
^^^SOLID ADVICE HERE!!^^^

Search this Thread