Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Paint correction

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:47 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default Paint correction

I have a couple of questions about paint correction. Any recommendations for safe paint correction for a novice. Also I have a cheap random orbital buffer, would I need a more pricy on with adjustable speeds? Any preferred brands?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

You shouldn't need paint correction with a new car. You need to detail it and seal it.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Are there some small scratches you're trying to repair or chipped paint from rocks on the highway?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Yes I'm trying to fix very small scratches you can really only see in direct sunlight. I gave some Meguires scratch x 2.0 I'm going to try this weekend. I think using a buffer with paint correction chemicals might be to harsh. Especially considering I'm a novice.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 AM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
You shouldn't need paint correction with a new car. You need to detail it and seal it.
Interesting comment. So when the vehicle is on the lot, and dealers introduce wash media, and snow removal, they are not inadvertently introducing any defects into the clear-coat?

As the owner of a detailing shop and IDA Certified by Mike Phillips, I can clearly state that at some point not every new car requires correction, however with that said, it does need some form of decontamination, which in the process may induce some slight defects which require correction.

Typically there are many forums which cover this subject, so I'm bound by forum rules here by mentioning these other forums and probably specific products.

My tip for you would to be a google search on Mike Phillips and you will find a host of video's and "how-to's" which should get you going.

I spent 13 hours on my new Mustang, doing one of my own packages (New Car Prep Package). If you don't think it doesn't need decontamination, either mechanical or chemical.. Think again.

With that said, you wont know if you need to do any correction until you wash, chemical decon, wash, inspect the paint, is it smooth, does it pass the baggie test, if not mechanical decontaminate and then inspect the paint again. If it needs nothing, prepare for your final product... if there are some swirls or defects, uniformly correct the vehicle using the least aggressive method... and Always do a test spot to see if your methods and products work.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by paul_g; 02-23-2017 at 08:43 AM.