Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Question about the power outlet

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

Default Question about the power outlet

I'm going to be hardwiring my dash camera, and I plan on tapping into the accessory power circuit (cigarette lighter circuit) at the fuse panel, but I'm curious about its function. Is it always on? I only ask because when I turn off the car, whatever is plugged in stays powered, and if I return to the car in a short period of time (a few minutes) it is STILL powered, but if I plug in something in the morning, the port doesn't power up until I start the car using the ignition button (does not power under remote start). I just need to know if I have to install a battery discharge prevention device or not. Not too big of a deal if I do, but I don't want to spend the money on one if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:01 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

A little update

I got out of work, and plugged in the charger before I started the car, and it powered up. It seems to only cut power to the circuit when the car is remote started, but before you hit the engine button in the car. Not sure what the thinking was there, on fords part. I guess I'll be getting a power magic pro or something along those lines.