Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Question about adding mods to new mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 01:08 AM
Drakem

Question Question about adding mods to new mustang

Hi all,

I just recently purchased a brand new mustang (2017) - unfortunately its the 3.7L v6 and not the 5.0 v8 - but I have a few questions in regards to what im planning to add/install:

1. Since its a new car through a dealership (Ford) would I need to get them to add/install everything so it cant void my vehicles warranty?

2. I am looking for the best (loudest) exhaust system I can find, my neighbor down the street is the only other person in the neighborhood with a mustang that i've seen and a little bird tells me he's modified the sh*t out of his vehicle - I have heard incredible things about Borla's Atak Catback & Magnaflow's Competition Catback Exhaust Systems, but i'm not sure which one I would personally like better.

3. I am also looking to add Cold Air Intake - Never installed anything under the hood and not sure if I could do it myself but I heard installation is super simple - If somebody could point me in the direction of where to get a decent one that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and reading!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Drakem

1. Since its a new car through a dealership (Ford) would I need to get them to add/install everything so it cant void my vehicles warranty?
If you are worried about warranty, then don't mod the car other than little things like mufflers.

Ford warranties the car, not the dealer. And Ford warranties the car that Ford built - not the one you build afterwards with modified parts or that the dealer builds with modified parts. The dealer doesn't determine if warranty coverage is appropriate. Ford makes that determination and pays the dealer for the work.

If you have a failure, and if Ford determines that your mod is A proximate cause of that failure, they will deny warranty coverage. If your engine blows up and all you did was change the mufflers, then not a problem. If you modified the tune with a SCT tuner - then Ford can say that your mod is the proximate cause of the engine failure and deny coverage.

Someone will probably say "but Moss-Magnuson warranty act says that Ford has to prove it caused the failure". Correct. And Ford will send out an engineer to investigate the engine failure, he will look for the tell tale signs of modification, and if he finds that can determine the mod caused it. That is the end of the proof that Ford needs to do; Ford doesn't have to go to court to prove it. You then have the burden of going forward to a law suit and getting your own experts to testify as to the cause of the failure; Ford has much deeper pockets, more engineer experts than you will ever hire, and a wealth of testing they have already done.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:26 AM
JimC

2. I am looking for the best (loudest) exhaust system I can find, my neighbor down the street is the only other person in the neighborhood with a mustang that i've seen and a little bird tells me he's modified the sh*t out of his vehicle - I have heard incredible things about Borla's Atak Catback & Magnaflow's Competition Catback Exhaust Systems, but i'm not sure which one I would personally like better.
The Atak seems to be a favorite of the 3.7 owners. Check youtube for video and see if you like it.

H

3. I am also looking to add Cold Air Intake - Never installed anything under the hood and not sure if I could do it myself but I heard installation is super simple - If somebody could point me in the direction of where to get a decent one that would be much appreciated.
Very easy to install, gives a little more 'noise' and improves the look under the hood. But the CAI isn't really any better than stock. The performance gain is in the tune, not the CAI. You get the same performance gain with a stock CAI and a tune as you do with any of the aftermarket CAI and tune.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

CAI that doesn't need a tune = a waste of $$$$$
Tune the car = void the warranty ( most of the time )
A muffler swap is a safe mod.
However, both of my cars were modded before the warranty was up, I just didn't care.
My 14 went to the tuner with less than 700 miles on the clock.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:36 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Outside of mufflers I wouldn't mod it till warranty is up.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:47 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The best exhaust is the Corsa extreme in my opinion.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 06-08-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Drakem

Originally Posted by JimC
If you are worried about warranty, then don't mod the car other than little things like mufflers.

Ford warranties the car, not the dealer. And Ford warranties the car that Ford built - not the one you build afterwards with modified parts or that the dealer builds with modified parts. The dealer doesn't determine if warranty coverage is appropriate. Ford makes that determination and pays the dealer for the work.

If you have a failure, and if Ford determines that your mod is A proximate cause of that failure, they will deny warranty coverage. If your engine blows up and all you did was change the mufflers, then not a problem. If you modified the tune with a SCT tuner - then Ford can say that your mod is the proximate cause of the engine failure and deny coverage.

Someone will probably say "but Moss-Magnuson warranty act says that Ford has to prove it caused the failure". Correct. And Ford will send out an engineer to investigate the engine failure, he will look for the tell tale signs of modification, and if he finds that can determine the mod caused it. That is the end of the proof that Ford needs to do; Ford doesn't have to go to court to prove it. You then have the burden of going forward to a law suit and getting your own experts to testify as to the cause of the failure; Ford has much deeper pockets, more engineer experts than you will ever hire, and a wealth of testing they have already done.
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
CAI that doesn't need a tune = a waste of $$$$$
Tune the car = void the warranty ( most of the time )
A muffler swap is a safe mod.
However, both of my cars were modded before the warranty was up, I just didn't care.
My 14 went to the tuner with less than 700 miles on the clock.
Originally Posted by movielover40
Outside of mufflers I wouldn't mod it till warranty is up.
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
The best exhaust is the Corsa extreme in my opinion.
Thanks for the responses guys! Much appreciated.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about warranty on those items (CAI and Borla) but you are in BC Canada, and I'd worry more about local regulations and inspections/emissions & sound.

Last thing you want to do is put a CAI or CatBack on and find out you don't pass your annual inspection because of either emissions or noise.

Having said that, I have Borla ATAK cat-back on my 05 Mustang GT. Nice cold start, sweet unobtrusive sound at red light... step on gas and that's a different story. They were exactly what I was looking for.

I also have the Air-Raid 50 state compliant intake, however it has the venture vent installed to restrict air-flow because I do not have a "tune". No tune plus no venture means it will throw codes.

Good luck and congrats on the last V6 Mustang!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Drakem

Originally Posted by paul_g
I wouldn't worry about warranty on those items (CAI and Borla) but you are in BC Canada, and I'd worry more about local regulations and inspections/emissions & sound.

Last thing you want to do is put a CAI or CatBack on and find out you don't pass your annual inspection because of either emissions or noise.

Having said that, I have Borla ATAK cat-back on my 05 Mustang GT. Nice cold start, sweet unobtrusive sound at red light... step on gas and that's a different story. They were exactly what I was looking for.

I also have the Air-Raid 50 state compliant intake, however it has the venture vent installed to restrict air-flow because I do not have a "tune". No tune plus no venture means it will throw codes.

Good luck and congrats on the last V6 Mustang!
Since mine is a 2017 model would you recommend my local Ford dealership to install these? (Or will they even?)

Or should I call a few shops? Problem is, I'm from a sketchy town and our shops have very bad reputations even my father despises one of the shops actual owners.

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Drakem

Since mine is a 2017 model would you recommend my local Ford dealership to install these? (Or will they even?)

Or should I call a few shops? Problem is, I'm from a sketchy town and our shops have very bad reputations even my father despises one of the shops actual owners.

Thanks again!
Bump?

Should be arriving in the mail this week.