Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Updated Sync 3 and USB Port in my 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Default Updated Sync 3 and USB Port in my 2016

Went to owner.ford.com and pulled up my VIN and saw that Sync 2.2 was available. Good news for Android and iPhone users!

For Android users, nothing you need to do other than follow the instructions for the update. For iPhone users you need to get a new USB Hub (the one in the arm-rest)

First, make sure you follow the instructions carefully on owner.ford.com how to download the update, unzip it and copy the files to a exfat thumb drive.

Load the thumbdrive into the usb port in the arm-rest and follow the instructions. The update will automatically start, then say it's finished, but do not remove the thumb drive, there is one more update. The whole process will take 30 minutes and you have to have the car running. After the second update you'll get a message stating the update is complete, remove the drive and shut off the car for 5 minutes:

For Android, you're done. For iPhone Apple Car Play, you must replace the usb hub located in the arm rest with a new revision. See the part# here:
(it's really easy and there are youtube videos out there). The part is about $70-$80 depending on shipping and taxes. I ordered mine directly from genuine fort parts.

After you replace the hub, fire up the car, plug the iPhone into the USB and enjoy! Having turn by turn maps and nav is awesome. If you want to go back to the traditional sync screen there is a button for that on the LCD screen.

Enjoy! :~)