Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

S550 GT Convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Default S550 GT Convertible questions

Hey guys, I currently have a 2016 GT on a lease, looking at possibly switching out to the updated 2018 model this fall (and actually purchasing instead of leasing). I had a 1990 LX Convertible and a 2001 GT Convertible previously, my past two, however, have been a 2013 GT Premium and the aforementioned 2016 GT Premium (both fast back). That being said, I kind of miss having a convertible, but I'm curious about a few things that would probably be answered by a test drive, but being impatient I figured I'd ask on here ...

-How's the road noise with the modern convertible while the top is up? I know my 1990 was horrible, the 2001 was a lot better but still far worse than my 2013/2016.
-How does the suspension/stability compare to the fastback?
-I've read that the convertible is actually closer to a 50/50 weight distribution due to the changes in body structure and weight from the convertible motor in the back, I think motor trend mentioned it's 51/49 or something like that - does this actually affect handling positively or is it unnoticeable due to this less secure chassis from having the hard-top removed?
-Is there a large difference in performance?

Some of these questions are potentially stupid, I know... But am still curious
If I do indeed go with a convertible, I'd get it with more-or-less every feature offered for the 2018 - magnetic dampers, performance package, 10-speed auto, adaptive cruise control, etc. Unsure which size wheels I'd get, though; is there a large ride-comfort difference going from 18's, 19's, or 20's? (I'm kinda leaning towards the 19s... Mistake?) Mostly, I want something that's still about as comfortable as my 2016 GT but also still just as fun (I understand that there's a performance drop when compared to the fastback, I'm just curious as to how much? The upgraded 5.0 motor, I'd imagine, will keep it at least as fast as my 2016 fastback, though).

Last edited by Spork3245; 03-23-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:18 PM
JimC

Modern convertibles are a HUGE difference over the 90's A lot less road noise, more than a coupe but not at all like the 90's.

Also, they seal much better. We had a 90's and in a snow storm it was blowing right under the "seal" into the car. Our 1999 Trans Am was better with a front seal more like what you will find on the Mustang. My 2006 and 2013 were very well sealed.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 AM
smlranger

Newby here but took delivery of a 2017 GT convertible four days ago. The car is pretty quiet (except for the music from the 5.0 when you use your right foot) with the top up. Drove it in the rain and no leaks. I do notice that if you drive with the top up and a window open, the top seems to billow and shake a bit.

We really debated the convertible vs hard top issue before buying. Since we have other vehicles, we decided the Mustang was going to be primarily a 'fun' car so we went with the convertible.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm looking forward going back to a rag-top! Now we just need Ford to go the Mercedes/Audi route and add vents to the head rests that blow hot air on you for those chilly days that you still want the top down!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Thomas Barnes

Took delivery of a 2017 GT Performance Pack 'vert three weeks ago. There is some mild cowl shake over pavement irregularities, but I suspect without the stiffer front springs of the performance package this would be less.

Very quiet with top up, the top is well lined and insulated inside. On hot days when the car has been parked in the sun all day, I usually drive home top-up and the A/C has no problem cooling the interior down quickly.

Not sure about actual weight distribution, but the car feels very neutral to me. Granted, I haven't really explored the limits yet, but my previous ride was a Honda S2000 with razor sharp handling, and I don't feel short-changed by the Mustang. It is certainly heavier, but the big V8 power more than makes up for that.

I am willing to sacrifice comfort for handling, so my option choices would be different. The larger wheels, however, are more for appearance than either comfort or handling - minimizing unsprung weight helps both. The performance pack cars have 19s to make room for the big brembo brakes up front.

TWB
Old 06-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good so far!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:15 PM
mikem8560

my 2014 is pretty quiet insidel my last car a 09 sebring convertible and I don't notice it any louder and the sebring had a inside liner. were the mustang dosent
Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 PM
DippinBob

Just went through an entire week of 100+ heat and you bet I drove home from work every day with the top down. This is my third All Black Convertible GT, (1997, 2007, 2016) and I have never regretted having the top down. Normally the seat cooler helps on the hot days but this last week I couldn't feel anything.
Road noise is negligible with the top up, and who cares with the top down. However, with the sound system boosting up in driver mode, I can still enjoy Pink Floyd while passing a semi. Receiving phones calls kind of sucks so I just don't answer the phone.
I can't answer your next two questions as I have never owned a Fastback.
As for the performance with the top up or down: I'm still smoking Camaros, Challengers, Malibu's, Prius's and mini Vans. I get the Chevy's and Dodges... but the mini Vans? Really?