Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Silly questions, this is my first brand new car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:49 AM
DaHoneyBadger84

Default Silly questions, this is my first brand new car!

Hi guys,

So I'm wondering what the opinions are around here on "breaking in" brand new cars like the s550. I've been told that the actual engine break-in itself is done at the factory now, and the reason for the 1000 mile "Don't use cruise control, vary your speed and RPM, don't go above 55-60mph" thing is more for the transmission and other parts?

Should I be overly concerned about doing this or just let those bald eagles fly? Right now I'm just past 400 miles, plan on getting it past 500 by Friday, trying to get it up over 1000 before winter really sets in since I'll obviously be driving it less when it snows.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 AM
JimC

The way I broke in my Mustang was ---- taking it to the drag strip with 100 miles on it the first weekend!
Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I'd do what the manual says which is take it easy. The engines are not broken in at the factory, nothing is. Break in periods are particularly necessary for brake pads and rotors. Why take a chance? If something were to happen, all the dealer has to do is plug in to your OBD II port and download information which tells them exactly what the engine has been doing and deny your claim.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 AM
DaHoneyBadger84

That's part of my issue, the manual is EXTREMELY vague other than the obvious stuff:

BREAKING-IN

You need to break in new tires for approximately 480 km. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,600 km. Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1,600 km.
That's literally all it says on the subject lol

I checked out some websites on the subject, and found a rather detailed post from a site supposedly run by mechanics saying that a more spirited break-in is actually better for the engine, and it had a comparison of a block that was "treated like a baby" for the first 1000 miles, vs one that was driven with a good amount of throttle, still not going too fast, but being more aggressive, and letting the engine slow itself down rather than braking when possible. The ones that was babied had significantly more signs of wear etc.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

DaHoneyBadger84 - there are as many opinions on this subject as Carter has liver pills. I've gone both routes through the years with new vehicles. Drive em easy, or run them hard for the first 100 miles or so, theorhetically to seat the rings, and you know what? Neither offered an obvious advantage that I could tell. I didn't have oil consumption issues or any other issues for that matter. Main thing I'd recommend is to vary the speeds and loads for the first few hundred miles as much as you can and otherwise, just drive it normally. It'll be just fine!

Congrats on the new car and enjoy!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.