2018 Ecoboost - MustangForums.com

The New S550 2015-2017 Mustang Discussions on the newest generation of the Ford Mustang.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Condor1970

Default 2018 Ecoboost

Has anyone on here had a chance to really test drive the new ecoboost? I heard a couple things that are intriguing. As a midlife crisis car, I'm considering buying the ecoboost for the soul purpose of having a smoother daily driver for work, and also the fact that I still have 2 teenage daughters at home. A quick word to all you younger fellas... Daughters are wonderful, but Daughters can be far more expensive than a Mustang. haha ...But I digress. The new ecoboost appears to have been tuned a little better with a better mid range torque curve to enhance initial acceleration. Is this true? Also, the nose on the new design has the body work dropped a bit to enhance aerodynamics. But, have they done anything notable to the suspension to enhance handling, yet keeping the smoother ride?
Or, with the potential income, should I just throw caution to the wind, and get a GT? With a daily drive of 42mi round trip on the highway, can the mileage be acceptable. Like Mid to High 20's mpg? My old Suburban is a beast that only gets 13mpg. I certainly don't want to pay for a daily driver like that.
Condor1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
proeagles
3rd Gear Member

Best you drive the car to determine how it feels to you. What is smooth to me may not be smooth to you, acceleration, etc. I can say that the ecoboost driven moderately will give better gas mileage than the V8. The ecoboost driven like a V8 will give V8 gas mileage despite claims to the contrary. The new V8 with the 10 speed auto will be a hot ticket and a very nice daily driver with power in IMO.
proeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeagles View Post
Best you drive the car to determine how it feels to you. What is smooth to me may not be smooth to you, acceleration, etc. I can say that the ecoboost driven moderately will give better gas mileage than the V8. The ecoboost driven like a V8 will give V8 gas mileage despite claims to the contrary. The new V8 with the 10 speed auto will be a hot ticket and a very nice daily driver with power in IMO.
Normally I'd agree with that line of coherent and logical thinking...however...have you HEARD the stock GT exhaust????

MY GOD, all logic just went out the window. A 4cyl Ecoboost will NEVER sound like that. Nope, My next car will be another GT.. Mod the 4-banger all you want, it will never sound this godly.
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor1970 View Post
Has anyone on here had a chance to really test drive the new ecoboost? I heard a couple things that are intriguing. As a midlife crisis car, I'm considering buying the ecoboost for the soul purpose of having a smoother daily driver for work, and also the fact that I still have 2 teenage daughters at home. A quick word to all you younger fellas... Daughters are wonderful, but Daughters can be far more expensive than a Mustang. haha ...But I digress. The new ecoboost appears to have been tuned a little better with a better mid range torque curve to enhance initial acceleration. Is this true? Also, the nose on the new design has the body work dropped a bit to enhance aerodynamics. But, have they done anything notable to the suspension to enhance handling, yet keeping the smoother ride?
Or, with the potential income, should I just throw caution to the wind, and get a GT? With a daily drive of 42mi round trip on the highway, can the mileage be acceptable. Like Mid to High 20's mpg? My old Suburban is a beast that only gets 13mpg. I certainly don't want to pay for a daily driver like that.
No matter which you choose (GT, GT, GT), it will get better MPG than your 'Burb ever did...

And yes, I hear ya about girls. I have two and one boy. Girls/women in general are more expensive
Old 11-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
proeagles
3rd Gear Member

No doubt nothing will ever sound like a V8. Trying to get Max high performance tires to stick in cold weather in that video was never gonna work. We'll wait and see what the pros can do. 0-60 under 4 is tough in a 3800 lb car with only 460 hp.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeagles View Post
No doubt nothing will ever sound like a V8. Trying to get Max high performance tires to stick in cold weather in that video was never gonna work. We'll wait and see what the pros can do. 0-60 under 4 is tough in a 3800 lb car with only 460 hp.
Oh the rest of the video was hilarious "Tire slippage" I think it's more easily doable than you may feel. 10 speed auto with a track pack is practically auto pilot. The only thing missing is launch control... oh wait, 2015+ has that...
Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

My 2016 GT, on the highway (no lights), I tend to get 23-24ish mpg, roads with tons of lights are obviously much lower. The 2018 w/10-speed auto is over 6% more efficient for mpg.
I test drove 2 2018 GTs in the last week. The Sport Valve Exhaust option is a must - it allows you to change how quiet or loud you’d like it to sound. The one I drove on Friday had it, the one this morning did not. While the new exhaust still sounds good without it, with it allows 4 different modes: quiet, normal, sport and track - track sounds basically like straight pipes and is amazeballs.
Spork3245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
proeagles
3rd Gear Member

That sport valve exhaust is a must have. Right after I start my GT350, I flip the exhaust switch on. You will be able to customize it on the 2018 which is cool.