Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Thinking about GT: tell me about it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:39 PM
aks801

Default Thinking about GT: tell me about it!

I realize Google is my friend, but I want to hear directly from those who know best.

Thinking about getting a "toy" later this year. I'll commute some with it, but not a ton. Mainly just cruising and "spirited driving". Right now my top 2 choices are a new Mustang GT or a used C6 Corvette. They perform similar functions but deliver in different ways. You can see in my sig line that I've had 2 Mustangs previously, and I think it would be pretty cool to get one again!

I just configured one online, choosing the 10-speed Auto and tarting up the car pretty good. It came in right at $46k. I have no idea what actual prices folks are paying these days.

So I have heard some really good things about this generation Mustang, and I would love to hear folks' impressions. Driving, performance, build quality, you name it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Over on the Corvette forum a C7 owner lamented the fact that a 2018 GT PP with 10 speed auto, 3.55 gears blew his doors off in the quarter mile. The new platform is awesome and as reliable as any modern car with tons of electronics. The other Corvette owners chimed in about how great the 5.0 was and how awesome it sounded with the dual mode exhaust. What is not to like?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aks801
I realize Google is my friend, but I want to hear directly from those who know best.

Thinking about getting a "toy" later this year. I'll commute some with it, but not a ton. Mainly just cruising and "spirited driving". Right now my top 2 choices are a new Mustang GT or a used C6 Corvette. They perform similar functions but deliver in different ways. You can see in my sig line that I've had 2 Mustangs previously, and I think it would be pretty cool to get one again!

I just configured one online, choosing the 10-speed Auto and tarting up the car pretty good. It came in right at $46k. I have no idea what actual prices folks are paying these days.

So I have heard some really good things about this generation Mustang, and I would love to hear folks' impressions. Driving, performance, build quality, you name it.

Thanks in advance.
Beyond my level of indulgence, but FWIW, I bought a '94 GT last May, was pleasantly surprised by the differences found between it and my previous Foxes. Things I like: high-mile integrity remaining; dislike: the bulbous front and rear fender structures.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Buy it, and enjoy. The "best dyno" results from a n/a shows 500 HP is achievable and the torque numbers are great as well. I paid $30,000 for my 16 GT base w/3.55:1 gear and it's now at 450 Hp crank with just an intake "tube", X-pipe. I am doing suspension work before I go on to power adders. The 2018's are 460 at the crank stock.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:04 PM
mechanic58

I just bought a ‘15 GT track pack car with a 6-speed and 3.55’s, I love it. I’ve owned all generations of Mustangs as well as lots of other similar V8 muscle/sports cars including several late model GTO’s. I can honestly say the latest iteration of the Mustang is my favorite to date. They drive NOTHING like any other Mustang and much more like a higher end sports car like a Corvette, etc. Absolutely the best bang for your buck, unless of course you happen to have a mullet. In that case you might wanna consider a Camaro.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 PM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

If I had unlimited funds for dealership repairs I'd buy a Corvette. Alas I don't so, I bought a 2017 GT PP which I can perform most repairs, myself, after warranty runs out.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

If you can afford a C7 Corvette, buy it, there is nothing more beautiful. They handle awesome, run great, and the targa top rattles or creaks for you after awhile despite all the "fixes". I know cause I had one. I have a GT350 now cause it is awesome, runs great, handles great and doesn't rattle. The 2018 Mustang GT properly equipped is absolutely the best bang for the buck now because it has 460 under rated HP and the same suspension and exhaust for $18K less than my Shelby. As a side note, Ford is killing the GT350 with the new GT. From a performance standpoint, there is no reason to waste another $15-18K on a Shelby.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 PM
aks801

And I tell you what, seeing the promo for the '19 Bullitt really made me that much more interested!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Projected 475HP on the Bullitt makes it even mo better. That is a good looking Mustang with that color and those wheels. Won't be any deals on that baby.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 PM
aks801

Originally Posted by proeagles
... Won't be any deals on that baby.
Speaking of deals: I priced out a new one online today, and it came up to $47k. GT Premium with Performance package.

Any ideas on what this would go for at a dealer? I don't know if they are going full price or if there is significant discounting.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Thinking about GT: tell me about it!