Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:14 PM
jem00021

Default ecoboost

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I have never owned a mustang, but have always liked them, my favorite has been the 67, now my favorite is the new current mustangs, they look awesome, I have been saving my money to buy one for the last 3 years, I was planning to get the ecoboost, so last weekend I test drove a 2017 ecoboost, and I couldn't believe how loud it was in the car, had the windows up, and was only doing 20 t0 25 mph thru a residental neighborhood, and everytime I hit the gas, it was just loud, you see, I'm deaf and wear a hearing aid, so not completely deaf, but hard of hearing, and road/engine noise makes it very hard for me to communicate with my friends while I'm driving, so after the test drive, I was so disappointed and upset with how loud the ecoboost was, a few days later after the test drive, I found out about how there's a fake audio engine sound that comes out of the speakers, and that by pulling fuse #27 out, it will deactivate the fake engine noise, was wondering if anybody has done this? did it make a difference?, did it get quieter in the car with the windows up?, I also learned that Ford installs something called sound tube in the GT models, channeling engine noise to the fire wall and into the cab thru the tube to make it louder in the cab, was wondering if any body could tell me if there is a sound tube or not on ecoboost model?, I'm also seeking any suggestions and ideas how to make the interior quieter, so I can still get a ecoboost, otherwise I'm gonna have to go test drive a V6 and see if it's quieter than the ecoboost, but I much rather have the ecoboost, turbo4 are definitley fun to drive, not looking to get a GT because I don't need that much power and the terrible gas mileage, lol
thank you for any inputs, info, ideas and suggestion

Originally Posted by jem00021
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I've always liked mustangs, never owned one, I'm looking to buy a 2015 and newer mustang, so seeking advice from mustang owners on which model to get, ecoboost, v6, or the GT, I origionly wasin't condideringh the GT because of the gas mileage, sure be nice to have 435hp, but not only getting 15 mpg, so been debating the ecoboost or the v6,
The v6 is a known proven engine to be a good performer, has fairly good power, even tho it's been detuned, and gets fairly good gas mileage
Ecoboost is new, so not known to be a proven engine yet, but has a turbo that has impressive power and gets great mileage, and the thought of having a turbo sounds fun to drive
I've done alot of research and read reviews on each models, from professionals and mustangs owners, have seen alot of good and bad reviews for both Ecoboost and v6,
Ecoboost cons-
Ecoboost turbo issues such as carbon build-up, ecu programing hick-ups, and sudden lost of power
Ecoboost pros-
great power, great gas mileage, has a turbo, fun to drive
v6 cons-
The only v6 issues that I've found was lack of power, been detuned and has less power than other v6 has had, so not exciting or fun to drive compaired to the Ecoboost and GT
v6 pros-
Has a known proven reliable engine, can be re-tuned to get more power along with cai and exhaust mods

As I was doing my research, I saw owners of GT stating that they are actually getting better gas mileage than the stated advertised mileage, getting closer to 20 mpg around town, so now I'm actually considering a GT as well now, would be nice to have 435hp if I could actually get close to 20 mpg
So I would appreciate any advices from you guys on which model I should get, Thank You

Last edited by JimC; 06-21-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The Ecoboost is a 2.3 4-cylinder, so it has what VW calls, a Soundaktor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor - Most people unplug them....
This is basically the same thing, it just comes from the speakers.

The V6 is a 3.7, has about the same horsepower, no turbo, no fake sound
generator.

Either one can be tuned for more power later... I have a 1.8T, and it goes
great. I have a module that can be set for +4 or +6 boost, and it's amazing.

Quieter interior, you can use Dynamat, or other sound deadner.

I would probably go with the 2.3, you can always make more boost...
Old 06-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

the Ford ecoboost motors are just noisy (so are the VW turbo motors). Frankly anything that has a direct injection fuel system is. They use a HPFP (High pressure fuel pump) that sits right next to the head and pushes pressure upwards of 3000+ PSI. They are very mechanical with little if any lubrication. Think of a woodpecker pounding away at a metal plate a few hundred times a minutes. That's the sound.

They are LOUD, it's just the way it is.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM
JimC

Welcome.

In the future please don't start multiple threads on the same topic.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

VW turbos are noisy? Hmm, I have a VW, 1.8 Turbo, I don't have any noise.
If you mean TDI, well, they're diesels, and that's different.

VW also use mufflers in their turbos, so you don't hear the turbo
whine as it spool up.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:50 PM
jem00021

Default Update

First of all, JimC, sorry, didn't realize that I started multiple threads, will pay more attention in the future, lol
UPDATE
ok, I test drove a second EcoBoost, a brand new 2018, it was so much quieter than the first one, so the first one obviously had a exhaust leak, ecoboost are quieter than I thought,
and definitely a lot of fun to drive, unfortunately the dealer couldn't meet my # for financing, so I walk
ecoboost in my area are few in supply and expensive for private parties, so I found a mustang v6 that I liked for a good deal, now waiting for the dealership do an pre purchase inspection, if I goes well , then I'll be a proud mustang owner, lol
someday down the road, I'll get an EcoBoost
Thanks for your response and advice