Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Comments on the 2015 styling? Here is the thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Only similarity I see is the front bumper. Looks like a Mustang to me.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Vyacheslav Molotov

It has some of fords design language, but it doesn't look like a fusion to me, it looks way to aggressive for that. I like it, but I like it more in colors other than red.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I can see the fusion design in there. It just doesn't bother me. I think it looks pretty good really. It's an aggressive fusion look, if you will. It's better than the billboard bumpers we have now.

At the same time I think they could've done better. And, I'm sure the specialty models (CS, Boss, Mach 1, etc) will be even cooler when released. Not to mention aftermarket.

Those that hate it need to learn to accept that things change.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM
dabsevo

Domestic companies have wisen up to the fact that it's a global economy. We don't produce cars in the US anymore let alone anything else. There's a video introducing the 2015 mustang and the executive said that a large percentage of mustang fans on facebook and message groups are international. Not to mention V8 and loud sounding heavy hitting cars are slowly becoming a thing of the past since fuel economy and energy conservation is a pressing matter.
So what does every single car company do? Audi, ford, BMW, lexus, toyota, KIA, hyundai. They have moved towards a more sleeker, narrow, aerodynamic design.
It's no secret that the mustang from 05-09 are more boxier, aggressive than the 11-13. And The 2015 being even sleeker, smoother than the 11-13. It helps with gas economy. The corvette was getting 30 MPG years ago due to the aerodynamic design and in today's world, if you're going to stay alive in the car business you better be getting 20-30 MPH MINIMUM, domestic or import.
Ford doesn't make cars just for enthusiast, they have the new Gt500 for that. For these entry level cars, they are made to cater towards EVERYONE. Hit as many people and as wide of a target audience as you can. Women, teens, older folks, moms, college students, enthusiasts, etc. without giving up too much of the Mustang culture and tradition.
Why do you think they still offer the V6 and automatics? why do they still sell convertibles for a couple regardless of looking a little weird? It's because there's a market for it. Same reason they have a variety of colors, red, blue, yellow, black.

Look up the audi A4, then go look up the Kia Optima, and then the BMW 3 series, then the VW sedan (forget the name). Hyundai also. They are ALL very sleek, skinny headlights and tail lights, smooth lights. There are no more aggressive, boxy looking cars anymore. Probably because it gets in the way of efficiency. I actually noticed this when I realized I could not even tell which car is behind me at night based on the headlights. I used to be dead on in the 90s and 2000s tellling which car is which based on taillights and headlights, but now even the new Ford SUV looks the same as some Kia sedan.

ford is evolving and traditionalists are not going to like it. but without it, they'd bite the dust.

Audi A4:

Kia Optima:

Honda Accord:

Hyundai Sonata:

BMW 320I:

And there are resemblances among the SUV and minivans as well. Mustang does look like it has an import design aspect to it. Whether or not it's coincidence that the import designers are doing things right by moving towards a more sleeker and aerodynamic body for efficiency, I don't know. But it's there. The mustang and camaro were both designed by asians and have been for the past few years. Once everyone accepts that change is not necessarily a bad thing, the better.
You still got an aggressive look and a V8 to boot. Just more modern.

Last edited by dabsevo; 12-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
If you don't like the skinny headlights, how do you ever look at a New Edge? We've had 'em before. I like the car. No, it doesn't look like the current model. It's not supposed to.

And, now just to give you nightmares, I give you the Fustang...

Oh great, the 2016 Euro family sport edition with a twin turbo 4 cyl and tuned suspension designed to compete with the BMW 328i...

and with respect to the global economy and looking like every other sedan out there, as well as aerodynamics.. show me the numbers on the coefficients of drag - guarantee you they are miniscule. If I wanted that, I sure as heck would not buy a Ford, I'd get an AWD Audi or if I was cheap a Hyundai. Oh well, sick of wasting my bytes on fools
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM
dabsevo

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
Oh great, the 2016 Euro family sport edition with a twin turbo 4 cyl and tuned suspension designed to compete with the BMW 328i...

and with respect to the global economy and looking like every other sedan out there, as well as aerodynamics.. show me the numbers on the coefficients of drag - guarantee you they are miniscule. If I wanted that, I sure as heck would not buy a Ford, I'd get an AWD Audi or if I was cheap a Hyundai. Oh well, sick of wasting my bytes on fools
Yeah well you're the minority then. Ford is catering to the masses and it's a smart move.

"The resulting exterior was substantially revised, resulting in better aerodynamic performance (Ford claims the coefficient of drag was reduced by 4% on V6 models and 7% on GT models, and that the front aerodynamic lift was reduced by 37% for V6 models and 23% for GT models.[37] " - regarding the 2010 mustang. The sharper and boxier 05-09 S197s had more drag and were less aerodynamic. I can only imagine the trend continues to improve based on the sleek and svelte lines of the newer models. The corvette is a prime example of supreme aerodynamics that achieve efficiency. I'd say 23% is pretty damn non-miniscule.

1 minute in he explains the reasoning for the changes. Later in the video explains why it was important to expand internationally.

What I'm more interested in is the shift in culture and the development of the 4 banger mustang that's to be released. 2.3L, 4 cylinder, turbocharged "Ecoboost" 2015 mustang that's rated at 305HP with a whopping 34MPG. We might see a big tuning community develop out of this similar to the WRX and STI. There are also rumors that the BRZ and FRS are also coming out boosted. Those 3 cars would be competitors. If the stock block on the "ecoboost" mustang can handle it, it'd be cool to see people putting in bigger turbos, upgrading their tune, etc. and pushing 400+ HP out of the 4 cylinders. The V8 5.0s are rated at 420HP for 2015.
Like it or not, Ford and Chevy need to play against the big boys and become more efficient if they want to continue to increase revenue and so far it looks like they are doing just that. Car enthusiasts like people on this forum are a small percentage of their sale.

Last edited by dabsevo; 12-19-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Obviously I'm not offended by the car being lower, wider, and sleeker. I understand that they wanted to move away from retro and I understand that, I think the 05-09s have more than done it's job as a throwback I just think using the same design cues as their sedans is stupid, especially since they ripped that design off the Aston, I don't think anyone will dispute that.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yeah it was one of the first things me and the wife noticed too but we got past that pretty quick and really like the car as a whole.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:15 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

You know what makes the new Mustang a Mustang?

It has two doors.
The rear wheels push the car along.
You can get a V8 in it.
There's a whole load of options that you can add on.
It's accessible for normal people.

Every model Mustang apart from the S197 looked like other contemporary Fords. What set them apart were those specifications listed above all together.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:33 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Damn it, I'm sorry I meant Fusion. But regardless of whether or not I confused one name with another, my point is still valid is it not?
I think that is the point exactly.
Confusing it with one of the other boring Ford vehicles.
Cant fault you for that one...
It used to stand out on the street.
Now it looks like it will just blend right in with
the majority of the other vehicles on the roads today...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comments on the 2015 styling? Here is the thread