Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Here They Come...

Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Default Here They Come...

Flat Rock is beginning production now.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2015-fo...+and+Driver%29

I wonder if we can order the RHD?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Mr Brooksy

Originally Posted by GTjoe49

So long as you don't mind pulling the handbrake from OVER the center console! WOOPS! We (Aussies), have had a few cars with handbrakes on the wrong side of the center console, its quite stupid and painful to pull in most cases.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

unless Massachusetts started driving on the left side of the road, no.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:15 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Should be able to. You may have to order it from an overseas dealer and pay to have it imported back though.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:10 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Should be able to. You may have to order it from an overseas dealer and pay to have it imported back though.
nope, not until it's 25 years old.

the thing is, the differences aren't just the structure and parts to put the steering wheel on the other side of the car. RHD cars are for markets with different emissions and safety standards (Euro 5) and would not be certified for sale in the United States. And they're not going to build a one-off car for some guy with RHD and EPA emissions certification.

It's just not gonna happen.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I don't see why you cannot. Afterall, the S550 sold in America will also meet European pedestrian crash requirements; the body structures are exactly the same. And even if Europe requires more pedestrian crash equipment than what the US S550s will have, they will exceed minimum US crash requirements (the US does not even have pedestrian crash requirements; just vehicle to vehicle crash requirements.)

As for the different emissions requirements between the US and Europe, I believe Europe has stricter emissions requirements than even 2015 US EPA standards. Foremost is CO2 emissions: Europe's 2015 requirements are no more than 230g/Km, IIRC, and the US doesn't even have any CO2.
As for the other pollutants, I believe the Euro requirements are either equal to or more stringent. But don't quote me on that.

When in doubt, check with a customs office and ask. They will tell you whatever import duty taxes are due and if the vehicle can even be accepted
Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I don't see why you cannot.
because it's highly unlikely the RHD vehicles will be certified for sale here.

As for the different emissions requirements between the US and Europe, I believe Europe has stricter emissions requirements than even 2015 US EPA standards. Foremost is CO2 emissions: Europe's 2015 requirements are no more than 230g/Km, IIRC, and the US doesn't even have any CO2.
As for the other pollutants, I believe the Euro requirements are either equal to or more stringent. But don't quote me on that.
Nope. Europe is stricter on CO2 emissions, but the EPA is stricter on trace pollutants. A car certified to Euro 5b does not necessarily meet EPA Tier 2 Bin 5, and vice versa.

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php...duty_Emissions

and that's the killer. Ford is not going to waste the time, money, and resources certifying right hand drive vehicles for sale in North America when they'd only sell a handful.

When in doubt, check with a customs office and ask. They will tell you whatever import duty taxes are due and if the vehicle can even be accepted
they'll tell you that you can't import the car until it's 25 years old.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...l#Anchor-28852
Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
because it's highly unlikely the RHD vehicles will be certified for sale here.

Nope. Europe is stricter on CO2 emissions, but the EPA is stricter on trace pollutants. A car certified to Euro 5b does not necessarily meet EPA Tier 2 Bin 5, and vice versa.

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php...duty_Emissions

and that's the killer. Ford is not going to waste the time, money, and resources certifying right hand drive vehicles for sale in North America when they'd only sell a handful.
You're not selling me.
Why cannot the S550 be BOTH US EPA certified and Euro approved?

Ford's "One Ford" mission and the idea that the S550 will be a Global car is the intent that the car will meet most, if not all, requirements in as many counties as possible.

The crash safety is one such feature. The S550 passes the US crash requirements AND also is designed to meet Euro pedestrian and vehicle crash requirements. They spent millions with the goal to make cars that are multinational compliant.

Just because the US EPA has stricter standards than the Euro standards does not automatically mean Ford did not make the S550 to be both Euro and US compliant.
Again, "One Ford" and "Global Mustang" concepts are a factor. The GT Coyote could be a car that fails to meet Euro CO2 emissions, but the EcoBoost and V6 S550s could be both Euro and US compliant in both CO2 and EPA emissions.

Also, look at your link again. Notice that at Euro Tier 6 (set to occur at mid-2014? beginning 2015) is mysteriously the same as Tier 5. We do not know what that means. It could be that Tier 6 is even more stringent than Tier 5 but the requirements were not known yet as of the writing of that article, in which case the author amused status quo.
If you are going to argue that this is only conjecture, fine. For this case, lets assume that T6 is the same as T5. It should not make a difference because Ford would have planned for the both cases and made S550s that can meet both standards.

When in doubt, the deciding factor for the sake of this argument is when FoMoCo makes the S550 emissions data available on popular mass media. This will tell conclusively which S550 trims can meet both 2015 US EPA and Euro T5&T6 emissions.
Furthermore, there are import vehicles that are allowed to enter the US without the 25year wait because those cars meet US requirements and their on home country's requirements. Your link says just that and there are cars listed as such as of 2013 (I don't know if the USDOT has published a 2014 or 2015 list of accepted vehicles.)

The only question left will be if the US has any laws or regs that prohibit new cars to have the steering wheel on the right side.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 08-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:47 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

What's the point of driving a RHD Mustang in the United States (or Canada) anyway?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkThorn
What's the point of driving a RHD Mustang in the United States (or Canada) anyway?
I doubt you'll get a rational answer. The downsides are many. I've driven a couple dozen different model RHD cars over the years. You can forget about using anything drive-up, be it an ATM, mailbox, McPuke's, toll booth, Customs at the border, card reader at a security gate, etc. There's no law (that I'm aware of) in the US that says you can't drive a RHD car on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here They Come...