Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8

Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
It's just for the GT350 that we know of.

Ford made the cammer 5.0L just for the fr500 cars for years to test reliability before changing the intake manifold and calling it the coyote.

So why not design a whole new engine for the svt car first then maybe use it to replace the 5.0L in other top of the line packaged models.
This wouldn't be the first time Ford has done something like this.
Except in this case of the GT350's "Voodoo" engine, the new engine is in a street legal production car first and could be intended to be "souped up" into an all-out race configuration like the FR500 (a GT350-R could be in the plans).

Going back to what JZ said, the GT350 engine would most likely be a Coyote block with larger bore (I'm guessing with PTWA sleeves instead of the traditional iron sleeves), flatplane crankshaft, tuning, and other parts to support this configuration.

Other ideas for application for the "Voodoo" could be just like what was already mentioned: an SVT Lightning or Hurricane or Raptor for which these trucks are meant for constant high engine RPM racing applications.
Maybe even a revival of the GT or some other new mid-engine racing platform like the GT used to be.

I'm with you on the "Voodoo" engine being dedicated only to the top of the line package models, specifically the performance ones.
I too cannot see this engine being put into unlimited mass production for everyday mass production vehicles.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 11-29-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I did hear of a rumored GT return but I don't know how much truth it holds or if its just a wishful thinking response to the fact that the 50th anniversary of the lemans win is coming up.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Going back to what JZ said, the GT350 engine would most likely be a Coyote block with larger bore (I'm guessing with PTWA sleeves instead of the traditional iron sleeves), flatplane crankshaft, tuning, and other parts to support this configuration.
I did read on other forums, mainly the mustang6g.com forum, the block is a Coyote block with a larger bored and PTWA like you said. This came from a Q&A session right after the announcement.

Also according to this the price is going to be $52,995 before options.
That almost makes it in my price range... until you count dealer markups

On another note, the only other vehicle that I could see this engine going into would be a GT500 with a SC on top. I highly doubt that it will be useful in any other application due to possible NVH issue... possibly a new F150 lightning, but I doubt that it will happen if we still have the Raptor around, and I like the raptor a lot better but that's just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:36 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
On another note, the only other vehicle that I could see this engine going into would be a GT500 with a SC on top.
Ford made an official announcement a while back that they are done using the GT500 moniker so you can forget about this as an option.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:56 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I did hear of a rumored GT return but I don't know how much truth it holds or if its just a wishful thinking response to the fact that the 50th anniversary of the lemans win is coming up.
I would love to see the Ford GT return, but there were (and still are) silly rumors that Ford did not own the rights to the GT design and was more or less forced to stop making it.
I don't know if these rumors hold a shred of truth, but if they do, this could be a show stopper for Ford to bring back the GT name.

On the positive side, Ford could simply use a different name like "Super Cobra" or whatever for such a mid-engine platform and use a totally different body style to distance it from the GT we all knew.

However, there are other rumors which claim that the GT was not a profitable car meaning that Ford sold each one less than what it cost to make one.
The GT from last decade was a great car, but it did not dominate like the GT40 of the Lemans 50 years ago.

I personally think if Ford could have stuck with the 2005-2006 GT and continued to hammer out bugs and work in more and more refinements, that GT would have eventually come to a winner's place.
But as world events began to hurt the auto industry, Ford having the foresight to recognize this even in 2006, the great GT was discontinued as FoMoCo began to cut projects and brace itself for the upcoming recession storm.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:56 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
I did read on other forums, mainly the mustang6g.com forum, the block is a Coyote block with a larger bored and PTWA like you said. This came from a Q&A session right after the announcement.

Also according to this the price is going to be $52,995 before options.
That almost makes it in my price range... until you count dealer markups

On another note, the only other vehicle that I could see this engine going into would be a GT500 with a SC on top. I highly doubt that it will be useful in any other application due to possible NVH issue... possibly a new F150 lightning, but I doubt that it will happen if we still have the Raptor around, and I like the raptor a lot better but that's just my thoughts on the subject.
Very interesting; if their speculations are correct about the GT350, the GT350's introductory base price will be less than the outgoing Trinity powered S197 GT500.

Earlier, I made a speculation that the GT350 would cost around the $65K mark, but if the $53K guesstimate is more accurate, that would lead me to believe that my guess that the GT350 being a street car first is a correct guess. Just like the S197 GT500, a car in this price range would not be a pure track fighter like the Z/28. It would make the GT350 more of what the ZL1 is: a street car first and a performance car second with emphasis on everyday DD.

That link said that the GT350 will come with a track pack, but I haven't the slightest clue what that track pack entails. It could mean several things and these are my guesses:

1) The track pack will be watered down and not bring the GT350 to a full Z/28 track dedicated state with too much NVH compromises killing the true track performance potential.
Since the GT350 is going to have to live with some engine NVH from the flat plane crankshaft, this in my opinion would be counterproductive for Ford's obsession with eliminating NVH even at considerable expense of performance handling.

2) OR the track pack would turn the all too street docile base GT350 into a track dedicated beast like the Z/28 and finally sacrifice Ford's over-obsession with NVH for true track fighting handling and performance.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I read from ford's releases that the oil and transmission cooler are optional in this motor, and I saw a rumor that the magneride suspension is also optional, so those might be in the track pack for the 350. Just my thoughts. I just hope they don't limit the production like they did on the Boss, I heard that with the GT500 they made as many as were ordered, so if they do something similar it should keep the markups to a minimum... hopefully lol
Old 12-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Magnaride is coming standard as its part of what defines the GT350..... the oil and diff coolers are part of the track pack.

That's what I've read as quoted from the source
Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Magnaride is coming standard as its part of what defines the GT350..... the oil and diff coolers are part of the track pack.

That's what I've read as quoted from the source
That is what I thought, but I did see the rumor floating around so I thought I would mention it and see what anyone else has heard... Thanks for clarifying
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Very interesting; if their speculations are correct about the GT350, the GT350's introductory base price will be less than the outgoing Trinity powered S197 GT500.

Earlier, I made a speculation that the GT350 would cost around the $65K mark, but if the $53K guesstimate is more accurate, that would lead me to believe that my guess that the GT350 being a street car first is a correct guess. Just like the S197 GT500, a car in this price range would not be a pure track fighter like the Z/28. It would make the GT350 more of what the ZL1 is: a street car first and a performance car second with emphasis on everyday DD.

That link said that the GT350 will come with a track pack, but I haven't the slightest clue what that track pack entails. It could mean several things and these are my guesses:

1) The track pack will be watered down and not bring the GT350 to a full Z/28 track dedicated state with too much NVH compromises killing the true track performance potential.
Since the GT350 is going to have to live with some engine NVH from the flat plane crankshaft, this in my opinion would be counterproductive for Ford's obsession with eliminating NVH even at considerable expense of performance handling.

2) OR the track pack would turn the all too street docile base GT350 into a track dedicated beast like the Z/28 and finally sacrifice Ford's over-obsession with NVH for true track fighting handling and performance.
The planned reveal in Detroit for January definitely will be the GT350R. That will be more like a 65k Base and target the Z28,dropping the Magneride for stiffer racing suspension and stickier rubber and stripping out a lot of weight for a more spartan vehichle, again taking away to make a lighter car by providing less for more money...still can't grasp this concept, anyhoooooo.... The GT350 at 53k base is slotted to be the ZL1 fighter. And then there will be upgrades to fill the gap in between both trim levels.

There will be a reveal of the Focus and Festiva "R" variants and

There is a rumored return of the GT in various trim levels to be the Corvette fighter. Also...

The Aluminum Raptor....and possible Lightning return.

And...

Another rumor floating around that Ford will be announcing a new division based on performance level vehicles only like the Ford equivalent of their own "AMG" or "M" divisions. Which would again fall into an innovations segment. More in step with what many of the European makers are already doing in their corporate strategies....

And there ya go.
-----

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 12-03-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8