Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Ordering versus buying off the lot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM
HP435

When I was looking in Indiana it was cold and no one would walk out to the GT I was looking at.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:33 PM
rypkr937

Welp. I made a purchase yesterday!

Went with an off the lot option EXACTLY how I would have ordered it and for what I believe to be a killer price. Only downfall was a 4.5 hour greyhound bus trip there.

I got a 2015 GT premium coupe in guard green.
-401a
-gt performance
-security group
-reverse sensing system
-adaptive cruise package
-50 year appearance package

OTD with taxes, title, plate, and all dealer fees about 42,700 which I think is fantastic.

Shout out to Tom, Mark, and Pete at Koons Ford in Baltimore. They were great to deal with through email, found me a great 2.09 rate for 72mo, and Pete even picked me up at the greyhound station and made sure the tank was topped off before I headed home. As well as followed up later that evening.

All in all I've never been so happy about a vehicle purchase. I've bought vehicles before and left feeling a little unsure if I should have made the purchase but I feel precicesly the opposite with this new car!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

When i go to the dealership to look and test drive, i deal with the salesmen. They get to bs, and i get to find the information i'm looking for myself without much misdirection. However, when i buy the car, i either go through the sales manager (my 2011 escape) or the fleet manager to order the car (the 15 'stang). The fleet manager at my dealership treated me the best out of any salesman, new more about the car, but most importantly, understands that for me, the salesman is the LEAST important part of the transaction. I know what i want when i walk in there, there's no need to "sell" me on the car i already want. The fleet manager understands that, and the process went a lot smoother.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:40 PM
wildsailor

Originally Posted by rypkr937
Welp. I made a purchase yesterday!

Went with an off the lot option EXACTLY how I would have ordered it and for what I believe to be a killer price. Only downfall was a 4.5 hour greyhound bus trip there.

I got a 2015 GT premium coupe in guard green.
-401a
-gt performance
-security group
-reverse sensing system
-adaptive cruise package
-50 year appearance package

OTD with taxes, title, plate, and all dealer fees about 42,700 which I think is fantastic.

Shout out to Tom, Mark, and Pete at Koons Ford in Baltimore. They were great to deal with through email, found me a great 2.09 rate for 72mo, and Pete even picked me up at the greyhound station and made sure the tank was topped off before I headed home. As well as followed up later that evening.

All in all I've never been so happy about a vehicle purchase. I've bought vehicles before and left feeling a little unsure if I should have made the purchase but I feel precicesly the opposite with this new car!
Excellent...another one flies off the lot! Congratulations! I debated long and hard on Guard but decided against it for the only reason that I have had 5 green vehicles so far and thought I should branch out this time! I love the color with the chrome on the 50th Package.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawiguy827
When i go to the dealership to look and test drive, i deal with the salesmen. They get to bs, and i get to find the information i'm looking for myself without much misdirection. However, when i buy the car, i either go through the sales manager (my 2011 escape) or the fleet manager to order the car (the 15 'stang). The fleet manager at my dealership treated me the best out of any salesman, new more about the car, but most importantly, understands that for me, the salesman is the LEAST important part of the transaction. I know what i want when i walk in there, there's no need to "sell" me on the car i already want. The fleet manager understands that, and the process went a lot smoother.
I agree, but I just skip the salesman all together when possible. I hate to talk to a person who knows nothing about the product & is just trying to use "sales techniques" to get you to sign on the dotted line. Half of them were selling something else six months ago. My local Ford dealer wouldn't give me a price on a F150 Ecoboost until I gave them my credit info., so I went out of town, bought a truck for cash, & stopped by to show it to the sales manager what happens when you make demands on customers.

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-21-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I agree, but I just skip the salesman all together when possible. I hate to talk to a person who knows nothing about the product & is just trying to use "sales techniques" to get you to sign on the dotted line. Half of them were selling something else six months ago. My local Ford dealer wouldn't give me a price on a F150 Ecoboost until I gave them my credit info., so I went out of town, bought a truck for cash, & stopped by to show it to the sales manager what happens when you make demands on customers.
Wow D that's an Awesome story, and you tell it in such an Amazing way, must have been Epic when you pulled into that Sketchy dealership, and were all Extreme, saying Look at this Bad Boy, now That's what I'm talking about, man did you do that Really?
As for me I'm lucky my dealership is not too bad, I get help if I want it, and they go away when I tell them.
As far as off the lot or order, I think that depends on the skill of the buyer to get the best deal, some are good at it and some are not, I only order if they don't have what I want.