Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Old Time Mustang Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 PM
pigdoc

Default Old Time Mustang Sound

I've got a '06 GT convertible and it's done really great. But I've been intrigued by the new '15 Mustang. So today I drove the Ecoboost Premium and GT Premium coupes. Neither one had the great exhaust sound of my '06. Has anyone with a new '15 model upgraded their exhaust yet to get that great sound back? Thanks in advance.
Pigdoc
Old 03-13-2015, 05:36 PM
BassimF

check out the Roush exhaust, maybe some youtube videos

Last edited by JimC; 03-13-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Sound tracks sound different to different people and so not sure what you are really looking for. I have a 2015 GT and I put a Magnaflow competition cat back on it to get the bark I was looking for. It sounded awesome at idle, like a small block with a cam, a great sound track and really barked nice under full throttle. At normal cruising speed, it sounded fine because the car has so much insulation in it compared to the older models, but it did boom a little too much for my wife under a load at lower RPM. I replaced it with a Magnaflow street cat back and it too has a nice sound under idle, great sound under throttle and a little more tolerable under load at low RPM. So the sound is purely in the ear of the beholder. PM if you have any questions.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
wildsailor

Originally Posted by proeagles
Sound tracks sound different to different people and so not sure what you are really looking for. I have a 2015 GT and I put a Magnaflow competition cat back on it to get the bark I was looking for. It sounded awesome at idle, like a small block with a cam, a great sound track and really barked nice under full throttle. At normal cruising speed, it sounded fine because the car has so much insulation in it compared to the older models, but it did boom a little too much for my wife under a load at lower RPM. I replaced it with a Magnaflow street cat back and it too has a nice sound under idle, great sound under throttle and a little more tolerable under load at low RPM. So the sound is purely in the ear of the beholder. PM if you have any questions.
Good point on the different ways people hear things. I hear things very well. My wife says that ants farting in the basement wake me up at night. I am probably the only one in the world that put the stock exhaust on my Harley when I bought it used because the aftermarket mufflers were way too loud.

Also, that "old time sound" is very subjective. Old time as in 30 years ago? 50 years ago? 50 years ago the Mustang came with a 110 HP straight six. 30 years ago was 1985 and the line up was a 2.3L 4 cylinder, 2.9L 60-degree V6, 5.0L V8, or a 2.3L Turbo 4 cylinder. In fact, the GT came with the 2.3L Turbo and the 5.0L V8 was an option.

I think we all know that the OP is looking for a way to boost the sound coming from the 5.0L V8 but to some of us (uh, me) it is already pretty loud. Nonetheless, there are a lot of options for exhaust changes and more being added every week.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pigdoc
I've got a '06 GT convertible and it's done really great. But I've been intrigued by the new '15 Mustang. So today I drove the Ecoboost Premium and GT Premium coupes. Neither one had the great exhaust sound of my '06. Has anyone with a new '15 model upgraded their exhaust yet to get that great sound back? Thanks in advance.
Pigdoc
well, no duh the Ecoboost didn't sound like it; it's a 4-cylinder and it can't sound like a V8 (except maybe as half of a flat-plane V8.)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 AM
05roadsterguy

Default THE POLICE!

Really love you guys who insist on making your cars blat and scream.

My GT has a nice authoritative rumble at cruise and at WOT it bellows just fine. This car sounds great to my ear. As a Plus, LE doesn't hear me coming 3 miles away either.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 PM
pigdoc

Originally Posted by proeagles
Thanks for the constructive reply. I'll check into the Magnaflow (and perhaps Flowmaster) options.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

This here be downright sexy

https://mustangforums.com/forum/the-...ons-video.html
Old 03-20-2015, 02:20 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You will never get that "old time sound" out of the new mustangs. Reason is the cam(s) location and number of valves per cylinder. The OHV engines have a distinctively different sound from the newer OHC engines.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:19 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Love my Magnaflow, competition series

Deep sound. Love the burbling on the downshift.

Quick Reply: Old Time Mustang Sound