Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Extended Service Plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM
TaylorH.

Default Extended Service Plans

Hey Everyone,

So I'm planing out the order of my first new car, a 2016 GT (Ruby Red btw) and I wanted everyones opinion on the ESP's that are offered. I was quoted $2,325 to bring everything to 6 years/100,000 miles. Are ESP's even worth it? If so, can you negotiate the price, because this seems a little high to me.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TaylorH.
Hey Everyone,

So I'm planing out the order of my first new car, a 2016 GT (Ruby Red btw) and I wanted everyones opinion on the ESP's that are offered. I was quoted $2,325 to bring everything to 6 years/100,000 miles. Are ESP's even worth it? If so, can you negotiate the price, because this seems a little high to me.
do you plan on modding it?cause we can"t help it after we buy these damn things
Old 07-29-2015, 07:54 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TaylorH.
Hey Everyone,

Do you plan to put a f&$k ton of miles on the car in the first couple years of ownership? If yes consider it. If no put the money to better use. Like headers, tune and intake.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 PM
TaylorH.

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
do you plan on modding it?cause we can"t help it after we buy these damn things
Haha true . After a few months yea, so maybe not the best idea to buy into it.

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Do you plan to put a f&$k ton of miles on the car in the first couple years of ownership? If yes consider it. If no put the money to better use. Like headers, tune and intake.
Guess i'll be putting that money towards a tune and exhaust
Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I have an extended service plan. Usually I'd so don't bother sense you can buy one at just about any time.

Regarding mods and warranty - I'm not even close to an expert or knowledgeable so take with at truck load of salt: wait to mod until the car has 10K miles or is part its first year of ownership. The explanation is that the manufacturer gets very interested in cars that blow up early in their life and will take a closer look to see if there is something wrong that they need to fix in the factory. If the car is past 10K or 1 year they don't tend to get involved.

Something to consider: put the $2K into a mutual fund and keep adding a $100 a month. If you actually need to fix something then get the money from the fund otherwise leave the fund alone. If you never break anything then the money just grows and eventually you have enough to just buy another car.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 AM
SOTX

Default Geico- mechanical breakdown

I have geico and the have a service called mechanical breakdown insurance. It has a $250'deduct but is good up to 100000 miles. the cost is about $100 a year. Has anyone else used this mechanical break down insurance?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Warranties & Modifications

Law & legal precedent requires that a car company prove that your modification caused the failure that needs to be repaired. Good service managers are reasonable, while Jerk Service Managers give customers a hassle often out of ignorance. I won't buy a car from a dealer until I find out the Service Manager's attitude towards "reasonable" modifications. My local dealer had a petty arsewhole for a service manager, but now he's gone a the new guy is very nice & reasonable. He doesn't care about modifications unless he can see evidence you have abused the car & that's the way it should be. I had a tranny go bad after I added a supercharger. One arsewhole manager told me the entire warranty was void while the next manager just replaced the tranny because there is no sign of abuse. It was clearly just a bad bearing in the trans. Some people are reasonable & others are jerks on a power trip! Buy from a dealership where the Service Manager has a reasonable attitude because they deserve your business.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:05 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I had the ESP on my 08, only cause it was essentially free. Its not a warranty in the sense repairs are free. Its more like a hybrid warranty/insurance plan. You are charged a deductible of usually $100 per visit for repairs, like insurance, but the coverage can be denied like a warranty based on cause.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM
nthknd

My ford company doesn't use this plan they use mpp with this service they will fix scratches and such along with other maintenance issues. Also you can cancel it at any time and the money will be refunded to the lender. Of cancel in the first 30 days it's a full refund after that it's prorated. My dealer also will use this money when you trade in your car so after proration they take that portion left and use it to bring down your sticker price. Also with this company they can negotiate the price so maybe that's possible too. I would check the cover and see what's important to you and if you can cancel it. I got the platinum package with gap for 1300. I say read everything then make your decision. Also I have GEICO also and the offer a mechanical breakdown option. Also I believe you can buy ford esp on your own for a monthly fee which means your not financing it at an interest rate. The hard part of all this is trying to figure this out while your sitting there in the finance office, so I normally get it then o read up on it and cancel it with in the time frame of I don't want it. No harm not foul.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:25 PM
nthknd

Ugh forgive my typing errors damn iPhone changes my "i" to "o".

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plans