Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

When would you tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:52 PM
firecoyote

compared to the corsa extreme...is the borla louder or the same level of noise with different tone?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:15 PM
firecoyote

Originally Posted by scottmach
Skip the CAI since it will just be throwing money down the drain.

One option would be the Ford Racing tune which is supposed to be available by the end of the year. You'll be able to keep your warranty although knocked down to 3/36 with them.
so what's your deal against an aftermarket CAI? I'm all about saving money and putting it towards worth while mods but as with most cars the 2 first main mods are exhaust and intake
Old 09-19-2015, 09:30 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

on the 15 the stock air intake drws air directly form an opening in the grille and flows great, all u need to do is swap out the factory filter for a K&N replacement, saver the almost $400 and spend it on mods that actually gain u something. you will see numbers posted on here and on other sites claiming 30hp gain from the cai and a tune, the hp is from the tune, and any 30hp gain claim over the stock air box without a tune is the result of figure manipulation
Old 09-19-2015, 09:38 PM
firecoyote

thanks for the info, bud!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 PM
firecoyote

also, 3inch cutback or 2.5? I've always come from the philosophy that you'd want a larger piping to allow better flow. I went to the borla website and under their 3 inch they have "*recommended for vehicles with modified engines that would require a 3 inch exhaust"

I honestly don't know what the future holds with this vehicle.. heck, I was even on Roush's page looking at the Stage 2 and Stage 3 costs lol

I remember on building my LS1 camaro I put LT headers and a borla catback- the full system was a 3 inch exhaust. I'm new to the mustang world so I'm wondering if there is something different that I need to know before i put a 3 inch system on it. This car is definitely making more power than my LS1 ever did
Old 09-19-2015, 11:53 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i think the only real difference between 2.5 in and 3 in is the cost, 2.5 flows plenty and you wont notice any gains from 2.5 to 3in ( all the gains are in the mufflers and or deleting the resinators)so all i can say is buy what makes you happy, if u like the way the 3 in kit looks over the 2.5 pull the trigger on that one
Old 09-20-2015, 06:25 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by firecoyote
so what's your deal against an aftermarket CAI? I'm all about saving money and putting it towards worth while mods but as with most cars the 2 first main mods are exhaust and intake
But why is a CAI one of the first mods some do? Maybe because guys have been brainwashed into thinking it's a worthwhile investment?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:29 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by firecoyote
also, 3inch cutback or 2.5? I've always come from the philosophy that you'd want a larger piping to allow better flow.
There is zero performance gain from any of the catbacks no matter the size. The gains in the exhaust come from removing the cats. The only difference between the 2.5" vs the 3" will be cost and volume.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:19 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

But why is a CAI one of the first mods some do? Maybe because guys have been brainwashed into thinking it's a worthwhile investment?
in years past the stock intakes were a bit lacking, but for the 15 the intake is top notch right out of the gate. some people just think that they have to do a CAI on everything
Old 09-20-2015, 08:22 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

There is zero performance gain from any of the catbacks no matter the size. The gains in the exhaust come from removing the cats. The only difference between the 2.5" vs the 3" will be cost and volume.
this may be true, however it seems to be different from model to model, and year to year. in the new edge for example, you do gain some with an exhaust, and on an ecoboost f150 you gain quite a bit as well. remember any help with backpressure on a turbo setup will aid in performance.

Quick Reply: When would you tune?