Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2016 GT -- how do you like the auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:43 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Awesome looking Mustang.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:10 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

If you ever plan to drag your car you'll be faster in the auto. You also don't have to worry as much about breaking axles with the auto as the manual. The auto is a beast of a transmission and can take a tremendous beating in stock form!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I got my 2016 GT with auto trans. Could not be happier with the auto trans. choice! The Mustang flys with an auto trans., & when put in "sports mod" it has a more of a manual trans. feel. I'd bet the 0 to 60 & 1/4 mile times "FOR ME" are faster than with a manual! My last GT had a manual trans. I'm planning on putting together a "Commoner's Supercar" by putting a supercharger on a GT Premium! At 670 HP & being 74 yrs old on 12/1, I want all my attention to be just on steering & traffic when my foot is in it. I also wanted an auto trans. to relax more in the increased traffic of today! DON'T FEAR THE AUTO! I'M OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER CALLING IT "BITCHIN"!
The auto trans (in sports mode) actually out performs even the most veteran of driver using the manual trans now.
Autos have come a loooooooooooong way. Even look at the new Z06 Vetts; a manual 1/4 mile time is listed for 11.3 while the auto trans is listed for 10.95
Old 11-25-2015, 08:39 PM
MikeBr

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I ordered a GT Premium with auto trans in late October, after driving one with auto. It was built last week, and is supposed to be here sometime between Dec 2 and Dec 9. Not sure why it takes so long unless they have a limited number of delivery trucks coming my way.

Ended up getting the 19" Dark Stainless-Painted Aluminum Wheels. Tires are all-season and have double the treadwear rating of the summer-only tires on the Performance Pkg. Skipped the 401A pkg but added a spare wheel & tire, reverse sensing, and all-weather floor mats. Also checked the "spoiler delete" box.

My wife chose the "Guard" color, but I like it because it reminds me of a buddy's mid-60s Mustang back in the day. Interior is "Saddle". Can't wait to get it!

Old 11-26-2015, 03:41 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Mine took just about 6 weeks, so it should be coming soon! Get a big bow to put on it for Christmas morning! I built a '61 F.I. Corvette years ago & kept it under a car cover in the garage. Every so often I'd take off the cover & it was like Christmas seeing it! I may do the same with my Mustang!

Pictures of restoring the Corvette & my son taking a '56 Chevy (My H.S. Car to his prom.) Yah, I used to be a Chevy guy until I test drove a '08 Mustang! Now I'm stuck! I'd still rather drive my 2016 GT!

I'm old enough to remember being impressed with getting one H.P. out of a cubic inch! Now it's 2+ H.P. per cubic inch!

That's me in the Corvette I restored about 25 years ago on the field of the school were I taught! BUT...."I never was the man I used to be!"

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-26-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:45 AM
MikeBr

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I used to be a Chevy guy until I test drove a '08 Mustang!
I'm an old car guy and have had several Chevy cars and trucks as hobbies, as well as daily drivers. Never had a Camaro or Corvette, though. But I did have that 1986 Mustang GT that I liked a bunch. I had been waiting to drive an all-new 2016 Camaro with the Cadillac ATS chassis and 450hp 6.2 L Corvette engine. Then I read a comparison (in Car & Driver I think) where they said it's faster and handles better than the Mustang, but it's claustrophobic inside with windows that seem like bunker slits. The Mustang turns out to be a better cruiser, but the Camaro the better track & drag strip car.

But heck, the two new Mustangs I drove handled way better than any sports coupe or sedan I've ever owned -- by a long shot. And for how I plan to use it, I'll take a comfortable cruiser with decent visibility over a street racer anytime.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:53 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Mike,

I drove a Supercharged Cadillac when I was looking at the 2015 Mustang GT! I expected the Cad to at least ride better. The Mustang beat the Cad in every way.... which really surprised me. Drive them all, & I'll bet you'll buy the Mustang as I did!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:16 PM
aks801

Mike, that color combo is exactly what I picked out when configuring on online earlier today! I think y'all are really going to love it. Be sure to post up pics once you take delivery.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 AM
ohlang

Originally Posted by scottmach
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Automatic

2015 Mustang GT Automatic 401A Premium SOLD

2011 Mustang GT Automatic 401A Premium SOLD

2003 Mach1 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @ 25 lbs. SOLD
2.3 polished Whipple and every other mod possible
How's that 8-speed in the dodge working for you? I test drove a scat pack 8-speed during 4th quarter and I loved it. I can see why you kept the Scat Pack Automatic. The 8-speed in it is so responsive. I didn't notice any lag of any kind during any downshifts when testing driving it. Moving from it, back to the automatic in my 2016 GT made me realize how unsatisfying Ford's 6-speed is. I test drove the Camaro SS 8-speed the same day and that sucked too compared to the Challenger 8-speed.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:38 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

auto is way better imho..the chinese manual gearboxes are utter junk.i would never buy one.
auto all the way

Quick Reply: 2016 GT -- how do you like the auto trans?