Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2016 GT -- how do you like the auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:57 AM
MikeBr

Default 2016 GT -- how do you like the auto trans?

A while back I drove a new GT with manual trans, but now I'm getting close to buying a car and don't want to rule out an auto trans.

The car would be a GT Premium Fastback with 401A pkg. I am leaning towards the optional 19" Dark Painted Stainless wheels. Gonna skip the Performance Pkg because of the 3.73 axle and summer-only tires.

I'm retired, so the car won't really be a daily driver, but more of an around-town and around-Texas cruiser. And it will also be used for out of state road trips a few times per year.

Anyway, if you have a 2015-1016 GT with an auto trans, let me know how it behaves and how you like it. I won't get it if it's "downshift crazy", hunting for a lower gear when I barely accelerate. I like my 2011 F150 but its 6-speed auto sure likes to drop into 1st gear too frequently when I'm coming out of a slow turn (or rolling stop) at 5-10 mph, where the engine could easily pull 2nd gear, maybe even 3rd. Totally unnecessary and an annoyance!

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeBr
A while back I drove a new GT with manual trans, but now I'm getting close to buying a car and don't want to rule out an auto trans.

The car would be a GT Premium Fastback with 401A pkg. I am leaning towards the optional 19" Dark Painted Stainless wheels. Gonna skip the Performance Pkg because of the 3.73 axle and summer-only tires.

I'm retired, so the car won't really be a daily driver, but more of an around-town and around-Texas cruiser. And it will also be used for out of state road trips a few times per year.

Anyway, if you have a 2015-1016 GT with an auto trans, let me know how it behaves and how you like it. I won't get it if it's "downshift crazy", hunting for a lower gear when I barely accelerate. I like my 2011 F150 but its 6-speed auto sure likes to drop into 1st gear too frequently when I'm coming out of a slow turn (or rolling stop) at 5-10 mph, where the engine could easily pull 2nd gear, maybe even 3rd. Totally unnecessary and an annoyance!

Thanks.
The automatic transmission has "drive modes" you can switch between; Normal, Sport, Race/Track & Winter. Normal behaves as you'd expect, shifting to the next gear in the 2000rpm range depending on how hard you're hitting the gas, while Sports mode shifts much more aggressively at the 3500-4500rpm range (again, depending upon how hard you're hitting the gas. I "opened mine up" for the first time the other night in sports mode and it was shifting closer to 5k). I've yet to try the Track or Winter modes. (There's also probably other "things" occurring in the changes between drive modes besides the rpms the shifts occur at.)

I had a 2013 GT Automatic prior to my 2016 and the shifting is much better in the 2016, it also "feels faster" in regards to the pick-up. My advice would be to test drive an automatic transmission 2016 and see how you like it... Oh, and it has paddle shifters on the wheel so you can slip it in to "Sports+" mode and shift it yourself if you like

Last edited by Spork3245; 10-20-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:19 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I got to spend a week in a Hertz Mustang GT w/ an auto. I liked it. Very nice. If I wasn't such a track ***** I'd be very happy with an auto GT. I actually checked to see if the GT350 came w/ an auto (it doesn't appear to).
Old 10-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Tony2015gt

I love my 2015GT with automatic transmission. I never leave it in regular mode, it's always in Sport mode so I can use the paddle shifters! It's a blast to drive!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:45 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

These autos are the best ones Ford has ever made while the manual transmissions continue to give guys problems. You'd be smart to get an auto. This is my second new Mustang with the auto and I'll never go back to a manual again.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:30 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

@scottmach - I did some quick research concerning Mustang's and manual transmissions. I read over the stuff, but I'm curious to know what you're referring to. So far I've had no issues. Most of the stuff I read sounds like little gashes who need to go to the gym so they can move the shift lever while simultaneously pressing in the clutch. Strenuous I know.

I'm not gentle with my Mustang and it spends plenty of weekends on the track being power shifted and being shifted from 4th to 2nd. No issues. Biggest issue I have is the up shift from 2nd to 3rd but I had the same issue in the STi and it has to do with the driver's lack of skill.

This is not an attack or flame, I'm honestly curious to know what issues you're referring to so I'll know what to watch for as I continue developing my car.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
@scottmach - I did some quick research concerning Mustang's and manual transmissions. I read over the stuff, but I'm curious to know what you're referring to. So far I've had no issues. Most of the stuff I read sounds like little gashes who need to go to the gym so they can move the shift lever while simultaneously pressing in the clutch. Strenuous I know.

I'm not gentle with my Mustang and it spends plenty of weekends on the track being power shifted and being shifted from 4th to 2nd. No issues. Biggest issue I have is the up shift from 2nd to 3rd but I had the same issue in the STi and it has to do with the driver's lack of skill.

This is not an attack or flame, I'm honestly curious to know what issues you're referring to so I'll know what to watch for as I continue developing my car.
He's probably referencing the 2013 manuals with the MT82 having issues with slipped gears.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Dragonetti
1st Gear Member

I have a 2015 GT Premium auto and it works for me, but it some times downshifts when I just want it to stay in gear and when I want it down downshift it stays in gear. Lets face it, it's an auto and it will not drive/shift how you would. For me, 1 hr. drive home every day in traffic with a manual was not ideal. The auto works well at the drag strip, put it in drive and put it to the floor, you will beat out all/most manuals. The paddle shifters on the 15 are slow as were the shift buttons on the 13/14 but easily tuned to work when PUSHED. Not daily driving and not straight line racing it, go for the manual.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeBr

Thanks.
Mike, I'm also retired & have a F150 with a Ecoboost engine with an Edge tuner! It flies! I want the 2016 Mustang more as a toy hot rod not to drive everyday! I've got a GT Premium ordered with the 401A package & auto trans, etc. I drove quite a few auto trans. in 2016's & I think I'll like it better. With today's traffic a manual trans. can be not so much fun... but I'll miss the manual sometimes! Can't have both, but paddle shifters are OK! I think the auto is safer in traffic without all the clutch work. I think it's a good choice! If you use "Build & Price" for the 2016 you will find that with an auto trans. choices are more limited. You can't get the performance package which in my case would negatively affect the ride for my tastes since I'm not doing fast cornering. I think you will find that 19" wheels will also hurt the ride noticeably because of the low profile tires rather than wheel size. I'm going with the basic 18" wheels & since I want a better ride. Drive both & you'll feel a substantial difference in ride. In my opinion... 19" & 20" tires are mostly style & frankly the difference between 18" & 19" does not seem that tremendously different in looks for the negative affect on the ride. I also can't get behind wheels painted all black in the "murder or stealth style" kids like from movies! I'm an old guy so it just looks like you bought wheels at the junk yard & got a couple of cans of black spray paint to cover up the scratches! OF COURSE style is just style, & everyone should get what they enjoy! I'm going to put a Roush supercharger on it for 670 H.P.... & that sure isn't necessary.... but that's my style rather than black wheels!

Order a Mustang & you can get a better price because the car doesn't come out of the dealer's allocation for the popular Mustangs they want to put on the lot! The dealer's cost should be about 11% below MSRP contrary to what you will be told! Good luck! We retired guys have to stick together!

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-30-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:36 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default DON'T FEAR THE AUTO!

I got my 2016 GT with auto trans. Could not be happier with the auto trans. choice! The Mustang flys with an auto trans., & when put in "sports mod" it has a more of a manual trans. feel. I'd bet the 0 to 60 & 1/4 mile times "FOR ME" are faster than with a manual! My last GT had a manual trans. I'm planning on putting together a "Commoner's Supercar" by putting a supercharger on a GT Premium! At 670 HP & being 74 yrs old on 12/1, I want all my attention to be just on steering & traffic when my foot is in it. I also wanted an auto trans. to relax more in the increased traffic of today! DON'T FEAR THE AUTO! I'M OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER CALLING IT "BITCHIN"!

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-24-2015 at 03:43 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 GT -- how do you like the auto trans?