Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

The Mustang doesn't come with a spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

$80K BMWs don't come with spares. Money has nothing to do with it, most cars don't come with spares anymore because of weight, packaging, and cost. I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire. The inflator kit will work just fine unless you blow a sidewall.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 PM
JimC

The reason some Mustangs don't come with a spare has to do with the options selected, and isn't a cost or weight savings measure. The well will only hold a certain size tire (circumference). With the performance package and Brembo brakes, you can't put a spare tire and wheel combo in the well that will fit that brake and rotor.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:21 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
The reason some Mustangs don't come with a spare has to do with the options selected, and isn't a cost or weight savings measure. The well will only hold a certain size tire (circumference). With the performance package and Brembo brakes, you can't put a spare tire and wheel combo in the well that will fit that brake and rotor.
Not true, the Ferrari 458 comes with a donut spare. And if they can fit a spare inside Ferrari that clears it's massive brakes then ford can do the same on the mustang.

Also, you don't want to use that fix a flat sealant that is included. It will completely ruin your TPMS sensors, as well as degrade the runner tire.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:46 PM
JimC

They can fit a spare in the well - just not one that will fit the bigger brakes. And I doubt that Ford is going to completely redesign a chassis for the smaller percentage of people who go for the option that doesn't fit. It isn't that they CAN'T design one just like Ferrari, but it isn't COST EFFECTIVE for them to do so.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:02 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

It has nothing to do with the chassis. It has to do with the spare wheel design.

The Ferrari donut is no bigger in overall circumference than the standard cobra donuts were. And if Aero and Weld wheels can fit a 14" rotor and six piston caliper in a 15" wheel I'm sure ford design a 16 or 17" donut to clear the brembo brakes.

But like you said it's about saving money and a cheap air pump and goop mets more profit.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

I respectfully disagree with that. From the base Mustang on up, the car does not come with a spare tire. You have to option the spare and it's an extra cost (to the buyer) option. You are right in that some of the other option packages, like the performance package, total eliminate the possibility of the spare tire option, and your point about brake rotor sizes being part of that may well be one reason why, but the car wouldn't have a spare at all without the option in the first place.

I remember when they first started putting the compact spare tires on cars. Believe it or not, there was a time when "all" cars had full size spare tires. The reasoning stated at the time was exactly to save weight, and as a by product, help improve fuel economy. Now they're just leaving the spare tire out of the equation to try to save a little bit more in fuel economy, and also a few bucks on the price of the car, otherwise, they wouldn't be charging for it.

Personally, I'm just not ready to be without a spare. It's been very rare in my life that I've needed one and if I only drove locally to where I live, I wouldn't worry about it but I also enjoy interstate road trips from time to time that can leave me a long way from help so a patch kit and air pump just don't work for me because several of those few times I've needed a spare, the injured tire wouldn't have been fixable with a can of fix-a-flat or a plug kit anyway. But to each their own!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:44 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
I respectfully disagree with that. From the base Mustang on up, the car does not come with a spare tire. You have to option the spare and it's an extra cost (to the buyer) option. You are right in that some of the other option packages, like the performance package, total eliminate the possibility of the spare tire option, and your point about brake rotor sizes being part of that may well be one reason why, but the car wouldn't have a spare at all without the option in the first place.

I remember when they first started putting the compact spare tires on cars. Believe it or not, there was a time when "all" cars had full size spare tires. The reasoning stated at the time was exactly to save weight, and as a by product, help improve fuel economy. Now they're just leaving the spare tire out of the equation to try to save a little bit more in fuel economy, and also a few bucks on the price of the car, otherwise, they wouldn't be charging for it.

Personally, I'm just not ready to be without a spare. It's been very rare in my life that I've needed one and if I only drove locally to where I live, I wouldn't worry about it but I also enjoy interstate road trips from time to time that can leave me a long way from help so a patch kit and air pump just don't work for me because several of those few times I've needed a spare, the injured tire wouldn't have been fixable with a can of fix-a-flat or a plug kit anyway. But to each their own!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
I haven't checked the 2015/16 as far as spare tire - the only one I looked at had the performance package so no spare. BUT, I can tell you that the 2013/14 and prior model years from 2005-12 did come with spare tires; unless you ordered the Brembo package and performance package when it became available. Had a spare in my 2006 and have one in my 2013, didn't order it separately it came with the car because I didn't get the performance package.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:08 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I haven't checked the 2015/16 as far as spare tire - the only one I looked at had the performance package so no spare. BUT, I can tell you that the 2013/14 and prior model years from 2005-12 did come with spare tires; unless you ordered the Brembo package and performance package when it became available. Had a spare in my 2006 and have one in my 2013, didn't order it separately it came with the car because I didn't get the performance package.
The base 2015 GT w/o the pp does not come with a spare, it has nothing to do with options.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

That's right. Having to option the spare tire came with the redesign in 2015.

Originally Posted by redass02gt
The base 2015 GT w/o the pp does not come with a spare, it has nothing to do with options.
True, and not true. It is true the car does not come with a spare but you can option one. That's unless you also try to option the performance package, in which case you can't option the spare tire too. Getting the PP, completely eliminates the ability to option the spare tire too so, to say that it has nothing to do with options is not true.

And it's not just the GT. Purchase a V6 or Ecoboost (base or premium) without any options and you won't get a spare tire in them either.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I remember when they first started putting the compact spare tires on cars. Believe it or not, there was a time when "all" cars had full size spare tires
Yes, back when cars used bias ply tires which were pieces of junk.

Quick Reply: The Mustang doesn't come with a spare tire?