Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

5.0 vs. EcoBoost

Old 07-20-2016, 08:47 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

If you're looking for a fun DD with great gas mileage, and if you're looking to stick with base models, then the EB and V6 is what you should be comparing. If you're looking for straight up performance, then you should only be looking at the GT. Not for nothing but I don't understand why people compare the EB to the V8. They're 2 different engines that were built for completely different things. It's like comparing center to a point guard.

The Coyote is gonna give you horrible gas mileage compared to the EB no matter how you slice it. Yea some people will say "oh I get 50 MPGs in my GT", but forget it. If you drive a lot then the GT will hurt your pockets. Now if you want something fast, then you have to get the Coyote. Yea some people say "oh my EB ran 11s with just a tune and minor bolt-ons", but forget it. The EB is fast and it is fun. But it is not a GT. If you want a combination of both, MPGs and performance, then either get a GT and run regular gas in it or get the EB from a dealership that will allow minor bolt-ons and then mod it up a bit. The GT still won't have great MPGs and the EB still won't perform like a GT but you can improve them both.

With all that said, I drove my little brother's auto 16 EB and I was pleased with how it performed. If MPGs were a concern for me, then I would have bought the EB and been satisfied with it. You can't worry about what people will think or say or criticisms. Even if you get a GT people will make fun of it if it is a manual, auto, if you have this package or that package, or someone will brag about how they got a fully optioned out GT for less than your base GT, or if you do this mod or that mod then some people will criticize that, etc. So don't worry about that. Get what works for you.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
If you're looking for a fun DD with great gas mileage, and if you're looking to stick with base models, then the EB and V6 is what you should be comparing. If you're looking for straight up performance, then you should only be looking at the GT. Not for nothing but I don't understand why people compare the EB to the V8. They're 2 different engines that were built for completely different things. It's like comparing center to a point guard.

The Coyote is gonna give you horrible gas mileage compared to the EB no matter how you slice it. Yea some people will say "oh I get 50 MPGs in my GT", but forget it. If you drive a lot then the GT will hurt your pockets. Now if you want something fast, then you have to get the Coyote. Yea some people say "oh my EB ran 11s with just a tune and minor bolt-ons", but forget it. The EB is fast and it is fun. But it is not a GT. If you want a combination of both, MPGs and performance, then either get a GT and run regular gas in it or get the EB from a dealership that will allow minor bolt-ons and then mod it up a bit. The GT still won't have great MPGs and the EB still won't perform like a GT but you can improve them both.

With all that said, I drove my little brother's auto 16 EB and I was pleased with how it performed. If MPGs were a concern for me, then I would have bought the EB and been satisfied with it. You can't worry about what people will think or say or criticisms. Even if you get a GT people will make fun of it if it is a manual, auto, if you have this package or that package, or someone will brag about how they got a fully optioned out GT for less than your base GT, or if you do this mod or that mod then some people will criticize that, etc. So don't worry about that. Get what works for you.
One of the best dissertations I've read so far. I've been back and forth between the EB and the GT. The idea of the V8 is very appealing. At first I was only considering the EB but I agree with the sentiments that many voice on the subject and I've been considering the GT more and more. One issue I was concerned about was insurance costs. I talked to my agent the other day and they said the engine didn't make any difference. The annual cost will be the same either way. The Mustang is considered a performance car regardless of which engine is in it so if that holds true, insurance won't be a determining factor but we were just doing a generic check. Once I've got an actual VIN number, it might change things. We'll see. As for fuel economy, that has been a concern for me at times and it's one of the main reasons I'm not totally off the EB. I've heard a number of folks report upper 20's on road trips with the GT and there's a YouTube video by MPGomatic that does a ~40 mile loop with a GT coupe and got just over 30 mpg according to the cars economy readout. Personally, I'd believe that more if it was the guys own actual calculations. My personal experience with two cars that had economy calculators is that they tend to be optimistic. If that holds true for the Mustang he was driving really got something closer to the mid 28's but I could live with that.

I'm at a point in my life where I don't hot rod around anymore, not that I won't play with it from time to time regardless of which engine I buy but it's not my normal mode of driving, and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of that or what configuration I end up purchasing.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=Intrepid175;8553105]One of the best dissertations I've read so far. I've been back and forth between the EB and the GT. The idea of the V8 is very appealing. At first I was only considering the EB but I agree with the sentiments that many voice on the subject and I've been considering the GT more and more. One issue I was concerned about was insurance costs. I talked to my agent the other day and they said the engine didn't make any difference. The annual cost will be the same either way. The Mustang is considered a performance car regardless of which engine is in it so if that holds true, insurance won't be a determining factor but we were just doing a generic check. Once I've got an actual VIN number, it might change things. We'll see. As for fuel economy, that has been a concern for me at times and it's one of the main reasons I'm not totally off the EB. I've heard a number of folks report upper 20's on road trips with the GT and there's a YouTube video by MPGomatic that does a ~40 mile loop with a GT coupe and got just over 30 mpg according to the cars economy readout. Personally, I'd believe that more if it was the guys own actual calculations. My personal experience with two cars that had economy calculators is that they tend to be optimistic. If that holds true for the Mustang he was driving really got something closer to the mid 28's but I could live with that.

I'm at a point in my life where I don't hot rod around anymore, not that I won't play with it from time to time regardless of which engine I buy but it's not my normal mode of driving, and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of that or what configuration I end up purchasing.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.[/QUOTE
The mileage indicators on these cars are pretty much right on. Of course you wouldn't know that without actually checking it mathematically.]
Old 07-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daytripper
Originally Posted by Intrepid175
One of the best dissertations I've read so far. I've been back and forth between the EB and the GT. The idea of the V8 is very appealing. At first I was only considering the EB but I agree with the sentiments that many voice on the subject and I've been considering the GT more and more. One issue I was concerned about was insurance costs. I talked to my agent the other day and they said the engine didn't make any difference. The annual cost will be the same either way. The Mustang is considered a performance car regardless of which engine is in it so if that holds true, insurance won't be a determining factor but we were just doing a generic check. Once I've got an actual VIN number, it might change things. We'll see. As for fuel economy, that has been a concern for me at times and it's one of the main reasons I'm not totally off the EB. I've heard a number of folks report upper 20's on road trips with the GT and there's a YouTube video by MPGomatic that does a ~40 mile loop with a GT coupe and got just over 30 mpg according to the cars economy readout. Personally, I'd believe that more if it was the guys own actual calculations. My personal experience with two cars that had economy calculators is that they tend to be optimistic. If that holds true for the Mustang he was driving really got something closer to the mid 28's but I could live with that.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
The mileage indicators on these cars are pretty much right on. Of course you wouldn't know that without actually checking it mathematically.
That's what I'd have to do. I drove a Honda Civic for seven years and am 2.5 year into a Toyota Rav4. Both were consistently between one and two mpg optimistic in their fuel economy estimations compared to my calculation.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 07-29-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I'm surprised at the comments about the 5.0L mileage. My 2016 gets pretty good mileage if you drive it "for mileage" which isn't easy. Around town I get 16 to 18 mpg, & on the freeway I've gotten up to 30 mpg.... & that's with a supercharger. I'm not biased about engines as I have a new Ford Edge with an 2.0L Ecoboost that should be in next week. It seems to me the Ecoboost has more low end torque for it's displacement, & should get better mileage if you need the best mileage for long commutes to work. I had the 3.5L Ecoboost in a F150 crewcut 4x4 with a tuner & it was really fast in such a heavy vehicle. It was like a medium sized diesel in power without the weight of a diesel on the front axle... & much cheaper. In reality either engine should run pretty hard in a GT.

MY OPINION: I think if I was buying a Mustang I'd get the 5.0L engine for performance UNLESS mileage was important for long commutes, or lots of driving. I think how you drive the GT will be the biggest determiner of your mileage! If I hadn't intended to put a supercharger on the Coyote it would have been a harder choice! Remember there is always something faster, so choose the engine that fits your "REAL" needs. Both will engines will be quick in a Mustang. If you are not racing it you'll be happy with either engine.... & if you are there will always be something faster. I'm running 670+ HP, & there is still something faster out there!

Last edited by Mr. D; 07-22-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I'm surprised at the comments about the 5.0L mileage. My 2016 gets pretty good mileage if you drive it "for mileage" which isn't easy. Around town I get 16 to 18 mpg, & on the freeway I've gotten up to 30 mpg.... & that's with a supercharger. I'm not biased about engines as I have a new Ford Edge with an 2.0L Ecoboost that should be in next week. It seems to me the Ecoboost has more low end torque for it's displacement, & should get better mileage if you need the best mileage for long commutes to work. I had the 3.5L Ecoboost in a F150 crewcut 4x4 with a tuner & it was really fast in such a heavy vehicle. It was like a medium sized diesel in power without the weight of a diesel on the front axle... & much cheaper. In reality either engine should run pretty hard in a GT.

MY OPINION: I think if I was buying a Mustang I'd get the 5.0L engine for performance UNLESS mileage was important for long commutes, or lots of driving. I think how you drive the GT will be the biggest determiner of your mileage! If I hadn't intended to put a supercharger on the Coyote it would have been a harder choice! Remember there is always something faster, so choose the engine that fits your "REAL" needs. Both will engines will be quick in a Mustang. If you are not racing it you'll be happy with either engine.... & if you are there will always be something faster. I'm running 670+ HP, & there is still something faster out there!
Absolutely agree with this, 100%! The driver IS the primary factor in what kind of fuel economy the car will get. One thing that started me looking at the 5.0 in the first place was the reports I was seeing of near 30 mpg runs. I wouldn't expect the car to get that kind of gas mileage often but knowing the potential is there, with the performance waiting in the background when wanted, is very appealing. Now, whether or not I can maintain the discipline needed behind the wheel to get that kind of economy out of a 5.0 is another matter entirely!

One thing I'd like to point about the Ecoboost, or any turbocharged engine, is this. There is no free lunch. While the Ecoboost engines are "capable" of returning remarkable fuel economy, they're not going to do that if you keep the boost gauge in the positive numbers all the time. Again, it's all up to the driver. Keep your foot out of the radiator and you'll stand a chance of doing pretty good. Otherwise, don't be surprised!

For me, the Mustang has nothing to do with "need." For me, it's all "want!" It's a car I intend to keep for a while and, since I've really got my heart set on the ragtop, it will always be a second vehicle. I just have to figure out what I'm willing to tolerate. With gas prices the way they are right now, it's not really a factor. If they start pushing $4/gal +, and it's likely they will sooner or later, then fuel economy certainly could be a factor. I like to think I'm a reasonably economical driver but I know a lot of other folks who "think" they're economical drivers too and I'm here to tell you, they're not, so I have to question my own objectivity too on this issue!

Drive Safe,
Steve R
Old 07-26-2016, 01:24 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I agree with just picking which one works best for you. They are all good cars and each is an exceptionally good value in it's own right. I will say though that I've had a 2011 GT and a 2014 GT and I have used the just for short trips around town and maybe to and from the airport. That being said, I've NEVER averaged over 10mpg based on the cars calculation and this matches what I've calculated as well. I don't drive like a maniac but I do think that if you are doing a lot of around town driving or deal with traffic (I live in the DC area) you are very unlikely to see anywhere near an average MPG of 20+.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
I agree with just picking which one works best for you. They are all good cars and each is an exceptionally good value in it's own right. I will say though that I've had a 2011 GT and a 2014 GT and I have used the just for short trips around town and maybe to and from the airport. That being said, I've NEVER averaged over 10mpg based on the cars calculation and this matches what I've calculated as well. I don't drive like a maniac but I do think that if you are doing a lot of around town driving or deal with traffic (I live in the DC area) you are very unlikely to see anywhere near an average MPG of 20+.
Fortunately, I rarely do what could be called a "pure" city tank. I have a long commute to work and most of the folks I hang out with are 10 to 20 miles from the house with a nice run up the interstate to catch up with them so it's rare that I've run a tank of fuel through my car that's less than 40% freeway, usually more. I'd be freaking out if I never saw double digits, but if all you're doing is short trips, maybe short enough that the engine never fully warms up and on top of nothing but stop and go driving, then I guess less than 10 mpg is not totally unexpected.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 07-26-2016 at 05:07 PM.