Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Suspension Mods to improve cornering w/o lowering

Old 07-31-2016, 12:03 PM
jwg45acp

Default Suspension Mods to improve cornering w/o lowering

Guys. Total newbie here. I'm looking to improve the cornering/handling prowess of my mustang without rupturing a kidney and I do not want to lower it.

I bought a 2015 GT premium automatic and installed a ford racing strut tower brace. I thought I might try the sway bars from the track pack and perhaps the koni shocks/struts. Do you guys have any other ideas about suspension mods that don't lower the body? I plan on summer only tires next spring.

I was really ready to drop the hammer on the track handling package but I live out in the sticks and even a 1" drop might mean scraping on some of the roads I occasionally have to venture down? So far, I've not scraped and I'm just reluctant to drop it.

I will never see a track, so my car is a daily driver and road trip machine, but I've always appreciated cars that can stick to the road and stay planted etc.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:05 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Your car already handles very good just as it is. If it "rolls" too much for you then stiffer sway bars would make it corner flatter. Otherwise there is not going to much you can do without lowering the car. Tip: attend some HPDEs with good instructors and really learn how to drive a car before you decide your car can't keep up with you. You'd be surprised to learn how good your car really is.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:07 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

The summer only tires will help a lot. Mine isn't lowered and I put 8.5 and 10 rear Nitto Invos and it handles so much better now than the stock 17" all season tires that were on it. I would go the tire route first before doing anything else and see what you think.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:11 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ucinn
The summer only tires will help a lot. Mine isn't lowered and I put 8.5 and 10 rear Nitto Invos and it handles so much better now than the stock 17" all season tires that were on it. I would go the tire route first before doing anything else and see what you think.
This is the best idea actually.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:24 PM
jwg45acp

That sounds like a good plan.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Mach2
2nd Gear Member

I have Continental ExtremeContact DW 255/35x20" tires and would highly recommend these tires. I went from stock 18" wheels/tires to 20" Drag 37 black chrome wheels and the above mentioned tires and the car sticks like glue. If you decide to stay with the stock wheels just add the tires.

Went from this;

To this;

Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 PM
jwg45acp

Looks good man, and thanks for the recommendation!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
Originally Posted by ucinn
This is the best idea actually.
Makes sense. All the suspension mods in the world won't do much if the tires can't hang! Although the heavier roll bars might be cool but does the stock Mustang really roll that much in heavy cornering?
Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

If you do tires, get rims too. That way you can keep all season on the stock rims for winter. If you push the car hard enough, you might feel the roll. Heavier sway bars do not really effect ride quality.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:23 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
If you do tires, get rims too. That way you can keep all season on the stock rims for winter. If you push the car hard enough, you might feel the roll. Heavier sway bars do not really effect ride quality.
If you could close your eyes & ride in a stock GT compared to one with low profile tires & heavier sway bars... I bet you'd have no trouble telling them apart in terms of ride. I really think the standard GT handles good enough unless you are going to track it. A top quality set of shocks might be worth the expense "IF" they absorb bumps better without stiffening up the ride. My GT with 235/50R/18 tires corners better than my "cornering speeds" require... BUT... if you are going to track the car & need to go around curves, then listen to Barstowpo give you the scoop on what you need!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Mods to improve cornering w/o lowering