Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

S550 Forged rods BUT hypereutec pistons?

Old 10-02-2016, 11:07 PM
TheZman
1st Gear Member

Default S550 Forged rods BUT hypereutec pistons?

So as some of you know im considering getting a 2017 Mustang and installing a Roush stage one Supercharger. Ive been doing a lot of reading on the durability and build materials of the s550 5.0 engine. I understand that it has a forged crankshaft and forged conecting rods but the pistons are hypereutec. I do know that they are typically stronger then plain cast. But no where near as durable as forged. So with the pistons obviously being a weak spot in the engine how much power can the 5.0 handle and still remain reliable with these pistons. I have a feeling the engine wont see past 70k miles or so especially for people who get on the boost a lot.. Is this fair to say or am i wrong. Dont really want to have a ticking time bomb on my hands.. People who say there runing this set up with no issues cant really say that unless the have a lot of miles on it. Also how does the new 2017 Camaro SS LT1 engine compare?
Old 10-03-2016, 12:54 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

You could always go with a Hellion twin turbo, with an adjustable digital waste gate control, run at low boost most of the time, and kick it up on demand, pretty sweet set up.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:26 AM
TheZman
1st Gear Member

The Hellion twin turbo sounds like a nice set up. But i think it would have the same wear and tear on the pistons once your on the boost. Even with the supercharger your not in boost until you really step on it. Anybody out there of high miles on these pistons? Ford dealers are saying that the Roush Supercharger is pretty safe even but i just dont know.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:41 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Typically speaking, rods will be the problem before a piston when you're pushing boost. Reason being is that the piston transfers the energy to the rod, which then pushes on the crank. The biggest worry with pistons is in regard to ringlands, or melting from leaning out due to a bad tune.

In regards to Turbo vs. SC, the supercharger will have more wear on the internals than the turbo setup if you're able to daily drive out of boost, or limit the boost as mentioned. The supercharger, even in low RPM is still pushing more air, and more pressure on a regular basis due to it being belt driven. Either route you go, just be sure that an experience tech that does aftermarket work [not your average stock tech], and you get a proper dyno tune by a reputable tuner. Those two alone will do more in regards to reliability than your choice on what route to go Forced Induction.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by C1Forged
Typically speaking, rods will be the problem before a piston when you're pushing boost. Reason being is that the piston transfers the energy to the rod, which then pushes on the crank. The biggest worry with pistons is in regard to ringlands, or melting from leaning out due to a bad tune.

In regards to Turbo vs. SC, the supercharger will have more wear on the internals than the turbo setup if you're able to daily drive out of boost, or limit the boost as mentioned. The supercharger, even in low RPM is still pushing more air, and more pressure on a regular basis due to it being belt driven. Either route you go, just be sure that an experience tech that does aftermarket work [not your average stock tech], and you get a proper dyno tune by a reputable tuner. Those two alone will do more in regards to reliability than your choice on what route to go Forced Induction.
Unless you run really lean and burn a hole through the piston but that is not likely because you'll get plenty of other problems before that happens.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:51 PM
TheZman
1st Gear Member

I really thought the 5.0 can handle plenty of extra power? Would the Roush stage 1 at 670hp be too much? I thought guys are running 800hp in these things?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 PM
ThreeTimeLoser

Originally Posted by TheZman
I really thought the 5.0 can handle plenty of extra power? Would the Roush stage 1 at 670hp be too much? I thought guys are running 800hp in these things?
You're putting way to much into this. There will always be a weak point, as in, "chain is only as strong as weakest link." With the motor having forged crank and rods, it will take a lot more HP and boost as before. Car will handle 800 horsepower, but anytime you add to increased HP/Boost levels, you're in fact decreasing the longevity of the motor. That's going to be the case no matter what. Worried about blowing the motor or wearing it out to quick, then this is the wrong hobby. Keep it stock and get 200,000 miles out of it.