Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Oil life cycle

Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

Default Oil life cycle

How long does this car go between oil changes? I bought the car at 7600 mi on the ODO, and now it's about 11,300. Since the car has an option to "reset oil life", I assume it notifies the owner when the oil needs to be changed. Oil still looks fairly clean, and the level is good, but I'm just curious as when it's expected to notify me it needs to be changed. I know this can be found in the manual, but it's alllll the way in my car, and I'm all the way in the house right now. Traditionally cars were about 3k miles between oil changes, but newer cars, and synthetic oils extend that life substantially. Just curious if anyone knew off hand. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:08 AM
krssrls

Id say around 6k is when the car will speak up if the oil life was reset after the last change.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

6k is the most common change interval. If you want to try and go longer, make sure to buy a high quality synthetic, and a high quality oil filter. From there, change your oil at 6k as recommended, but take an oil sample and have it 3rd party tested to see how the oil is doing in regards to deposits, and how much its broken down. From there you will know if its safe to go longer, at which point you can step it up to 7,000-9,000 intervals.

Just make sure to grab an oil sample from the middle of your pan when draining for a true sample.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I'd say minimum of 6k.

3k was back in the days of leaded gas and carburetors.

Oil change places just want your business and tell you every 3k.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies all. My last car was a 95 Bronco XLT sport, and before that was an 85 Mustang GT, so 3K was the norm for me. Haha. I'll keep an eye out around 6K.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Mr. Motion

Originally Posted by CaptainX
How long does this car go between oil changes? I bought the car at 7600 mi on the ODO, and now it's about 11,300. Since the car has an option to "reset oil life", I assume it notifies the owner when the oil needs to be changed. Oil still looks fairly clean, and the level is good, but I'm just curious as when it's expected to notify me it needs to be changed. I know this can be found in the manual, but it's alllll the way in my car, and I'm all the way in the house right now. Traditionally cars were about 3k miles between oil changes, but newer cars, and synthetic oils extend that life substantially. Just curious if anyone knew off hand. Thanks.

If you don't really know when the oil was changed, why are you even taking a chance? When I bought mine (used), the first thing that I did was to change the oil with a full synthetic even though the display indicated that it had a remaining life of 67%. The previous driver could have reset the oil life at any time, even if they didn't change it. IMO, your car is too big an investment to "go cheap" on an oil change.

Search this Thread