Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Window Short Drop issue on door open

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:28 AM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Default Window Short Drop issue on door open

Just picked up a new 2016 Mustang Eco-Boost Premium with Pony Package and am having an issue with the Window Short Drop feature. The dealer put in a new battery before I took delivery of the car.

The Problem: Upon opening the door, the glass does drop but not quick enough. It clips the trim. The short-drop does work, both up and down, and the auto-up/down works as well. It's mainly not dropping fast enough while opening the door.

I've done some searching on-line and I performed the hold the window button up for two seconds, then down for two seconds. This didn't correct the issue. I have read the owners manual and cannot find any procedure on how to fix.

Since I just bought the car I have no issue with returning it for the dealer to fix, however, I'm just wondering if there is a decent procedure I can try before going to the dealer?

Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem with my 16 GT PP. The rear of the drivers window was not clearing the top of the molding before it came down and would catch when you would open the door. They had to adjust the actual window and also the door since it was not closing properly. If you have both drivers side and passengers side windows down you will see the drivers side will be sticking up about 1/4" and not all the way down into the door. This is how I had to show the dealership that it was not adjusted right. Took them close to a week to fix, but 100% now.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 AM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

A week to fix? Wow... I'm hoping for like a few hours. Luckily it's only the drivers side.
Where in AZ are you located? We're fixing to move out there...
Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by paul_g
A week to fix? Wow... I'm hoping for like a few hours. Luckily it's only the drivers side.
Where in AZ are you located? We're fixing to move out there...
Yeah the drivers door needed some serious adjustment as it was not closing properly. We live in Litchfield Park which is on the west side of the Phoenix area.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Figured I'd give an update:

Ford had to replace the thingy that controls the window short drop. It's better but not 100%. They think the issue now lies in a bad piece of trim and have ordered a new piece and will put it in when I can get it back to them on 2/27.

Will update the thread after that.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Position of the glass or trim has to be the issue, not speed. I can't say I've ever opened my door too fast that it wouldn't open, and I can't imagine you're trying to get out of the car like it's on fire.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:26 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redass02gt
Position of the glass or trim has to be the issue, not speed. I can't say I've ever opened my door too fast that it wouldn't open, and I can't imagine you're trying to get out of the car like it's on fire.
Definitely trim at this point, which is getting replaced week after next.
It can hear it clang on the front part of the trim.

I'm not opening the door quickly, but what I have to do is pull the handle, wait for the window to drop, then I can pull the door open. Same on the close...

If I just pull the handle and open the door as normal, I hear "clang" glass on the trim.

They'll sort it out.. I'm not losing sleep over it.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

So I said I'd update the thread and here it is. Fixed? Somewhat...

They changed the motor and sensor, they adjusted the window and replaced the brushed chrome trim at the top the frame.

As long as I pull the door handle, wait a second, it's fine. If I pull the door handle and quickly open the door it still clips the trim.

So I'll learn to live with it and slowly open the door...
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

It's almost summer...
you can keep the window down soon.
...maybe.