Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Need help protecting against rodents

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 04:48 PM
JoeBlack99

Default Need help protecting against rodents

My 2015 Mustang has recently been attacked by squirrels/rodents.
They like to eat up the wiring under the hood.

So far they have chewed through wiring that connects the AC.
215.00 repair job.

And after getting that repaired one week later.
One of them ate through the wiring that connects the engine. (taking it in this week for repairs)

I'm not a car guy so not sure of all the exact parts but trying to find out if there is any protection I can buy to stop these attacks.

Engine covers? Do they make covers that cover all the exposed wiring?
is there a cover that would cover the entire undercarriage?
Any idea to stop these guys from eating up my wiring?

I figured it was a 1 time fluke.. And sprayed anti squirrel/rodent spray all over the carport... And that failed to stop them.

This will just continue to happen unless I can figure out a deterrent that will stop them.

Thanks for any ideas and help.
Attached Thumbnails Need help protecting against rodents-img_20170205_153234652.jpg   Need help protecting against rodents-img_20170205_153405603.jpg   Need help protecting against rodents-img_20170205_153413196.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 12:00 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Clearly these rodents are V8 lovers.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:10 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Key word here is carport. You need a garage, seriously.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

my car lives outside, hasn't been chewed with lots of mice around. first off take i=out all trash and food debris. KEEP YOUR CAR CLEAN. if you do drive through and they give you napkins in the bag, KEEP THEM OUT OF YOUR GLOVE BOX! those things are stinking of grease from that establishment, the smell draws rodents like mad. get rid of bird feeders in your lawn and do your best to keep acorns/nuts picked up. under the hood, you can buy this and wrap the major engine harness:https://www.amazon.com/Honda-4019-23.../dp/B00AJTG3N0 you could also try coating everything in capsaicin, but i have no experience with that.

as for inside the car and the trunk i like the peppermint oil and cedar rodent repellent packets you can buy at feed stores. they don't smell too bad to people but mice apearantly don't like it.

pro tip: don't put "rat nip" in the car, it draws mice in and the ones that are smart avoid the nip and start chewing other things, it can also lead to dead mouse in the car smells

Last edited by User 92421; 02-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Moth *****.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

sometimes moth ***** work, only for storage though and they leave the interior smelling nasty. the ones that don't stink.... don't work
Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 AM
JoeBlack99

well I just moved onto military base housing.. so there isn't much of a choice. Although, they do have a few garage housing areas but the wait list is usually a few weeks at the earliest.

I think it's gotta be these 10,000 squirrels that are always outside my neighbors carport running around like crazy and running over to my side.

I had bought this "animal b gon" spray and sprayed all over the car port making a perimeter around where my stang is parked.. hoping that would deter them.. guess it didn't work.

I just bought this today
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to spray on the wiring once I get the car back to see if that helps...
I also read that there is some anti rodent tape that could work as well....

I read that moth ***** could catch fire?

At least i changed my car deductible to 0.00 and they will cover the cost this time for damage.... and all future occurrences if/when they happen.

here is 1 of the squirrels on my neighbors tire...

this really sucks.

P.S I don't eat in my car. always cleaned..... I miss my garage.
Attached Thumbnails Need help protecting against rodents-img_20170205_153528237.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:02 AM
JoeBlack99

Originally Posted by TRamsdell
my car lives outside, hasn't been chewed with lots of mice around. first off take i=out all trash and food debris. KEEP YOUR CAR CLEAN. if you do drive through and they give you napkins in the bag, KEEP THEM OUT OF YOUR GLOVE BOX! those things are stinking of grease from that establishment, the smell draws rodents like mad. get rid of bird feeders in your lawn and do your best to keep acorns/nuts picked up. under the hood, you can buy this and wrap the major engine harness:https://www.amazon.com/Honda-4019-23.../dp/B00AJTG3N0 you could also try coating everything in capsaicin, but i have no experience with that.

as for inside the car and the trunk i like the peppermint oil and cedar rodent repellent packets you can buy at feed stores. they don't smell too bad to people but mice apearantly don't like it.

pro tip: don't put "rat nip" in the car, it draws mice in and the ones that are smart avoid the nip and start chewing other things, it can also lead to dead mouse in the car smells

that is the tape that I've seen.. seems kind of pricey though.. anywhere else i can find it?

I have a few days waiting on repairs to find this stuff.

thanks for the info
Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I'm using two bags of moth *****,putting them on top of the engine,front and rear.I'm only using the car very occasionally during the winter,and I remove the bags before I start the car.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Put tons of moth ***** UNDER the car. Keeps them away. Bounce sheets work well for some. They used to make a product called "Squeak Out". Not sure if it's still available. I got to where I kept poison out all the time. Now I have cats.