Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Backup camera issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 11:30 AM
smoke_wagon

Originally Posted by EntropyM
My 2015 GT convertible lost the camera. I got the no camera available message.
The problem was in the wiring harness in the trunk. The wires from the trunk deck exit in a hard tube that is taped and wrapped in a mesh wrap. I uncovered the wires and cut the tube back a couple of inches where I found three damaged wires. The plastic tube causes the wires to hard flex at that point.
The blue/white wire was parted. I spliced a repair wire in and shrink tubed it. The other two only had bad insulation so I patched them with liquid tape then wrapped the whole thing.
I hope that this helps someone else.
My 18 has a tight bend there too! Now I know where to look in 2 years when my camera fails. Sigh...
Old 07-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Locke_03
1st Gear Member

Not to bring up an old thread, but I ended up having to have mine completely replaced in my 15 GT. The dealership stated they could find nothing actually wrong with the wiring harness or the camera itself. I was out of warranty, but sprung for an extra dealer option when I bought the car so it was free. They ended up just installing a brand new camera and I have not had any issues since.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:17 PM
DaveElliott

Yes, I got this. The cable broke where it gets constantly bent under the trunk. I soldered in some more flexible wire.
I wrapped it up again with 1cm cable-spiral to make it look professional again.
If you have this problem you should also check if your trunk brake light has stopped working as well. It is in the same group of cable. (and the same fragile wire).

Chow Dave
Old 09-11-2019, 04:21 PM
ORRadtech

Old thread I know but wanted to share my b u camera experience. It wasn't in a Mustang but the fault message is the same. When the camera went out in my Edge I discovered that Ford seems to have quite a lot of camera failures across all models. The b u camera system is not all that complicated. If the wiring is good then you have a bad camera module. The camera in my Edge lost its seal and was water damaged. If it rained, it quit. Let it dry and it was mostly good. Ford wanted about $500 for the part ($300 for the Mustang one) and another $400 or so for the install. If you're handy they're not that hard to replace, but, you may have to have the guide lines reprogrammed. Forscan can do it on some models but not all. Ford, however, can do it for not a lot.
Anyway, my Mustang is fine but I thought my experience might help someone.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:58 AM
DaveElliott

Default Back Up Camera quick diagnostic test

Put car in reverse so that the camera comes on. Now open the trunk (boot) and see if the picture disappears.
If it does you have this broken cable issue.
I tried this on a friends newish Mustang while it was in warranty and we discovered the broken cable.
He got it fixed before the warranty ran out.
Do this check every six weeks, especially if the car is new, so you can catch it maybe before the warranty runs out.