Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Weird Radio Issue - 2017 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 PM
smlranger

Default Weird Radio Issue - 2017 GT

When we got the car four weeks ago, the FM and Sirius worked fine but no signal on AM...just dead silence. Dealer diagnosed issue as defective radio head unit and ordered a new one. Dealer installed new radio and the AM still does not work. Now they 'think' it must be a wiring harness (apparently a harness that includes the wire/s to the antenna. More stuff ordered.

Oh, and they scratched up the chrome plastic trim around the shifter and left pry marks on some of the plastic on the console just forward of the shifter . Will be having them replace that stuff.

I am curious of anyone else has had similar issues with the radio.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:25 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Maybe there is no AM signal in your area or anymore for that matter. Who listens to AM anymore?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:33 PM
smlranger

Originally Posted by proeagles
Maybe there is no AM signal in your area or anymore for that matter. Who listens to AM anymore?
There are, in fact, two or three AM stations in my area. I agree that AM is rarely used but one of the stations (WRVA AM 1140) is the only broadcaster in the area that has a popular talk radio program that I like. I get it fine on my other two Fords so there is some issue with the set up in the Mustang.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 AM
smlranger

Update: radio still not fixed.

I know AM radio is not a hot topic for many younger folks but my local dealer is still putzing around trying to get the AM reception to work in the new mustang. They replaced the radio, no fix. They claim they then spoke to the Ford 'Tech Hot Line' and were told to replace a wiring harness. Now they are telling me Ford wants them to do more 'testing' and maybe replace the radio again.

My simple mind says if it isn't a problem with the radio itself, it has to be an issue with the antenna/wiring to the antenna.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like maybe they should try replacing the antenna and any/all wires connecting it to the radio.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 PM
smlranger

Originally Posted by Spork3245
Sounds like maybe they should try replacing the antenna and any/all wires connecting it to the radio.
I would agree. The Sat and FM work fine but there is no AM reception. Ford had them testing all the wiring from the radio to the antenna and it all 'checked out fine' according to the dealer service manager. They even took an antenna off another car and tried it with no luck. They said they were at the mercy of the Ford Help Desk they use for tech assistance.

Finally, they called and said they found (if I understood correctly) a connector behind the front bumper with a bent or broken pin. They said when they did a temp fix on that, the radio worked. So, new connector or wires/connector ordered for express shipment.

I think they kind of gave up trying to find the problem. I was at the dealership early today getting my 2015 Edge serviced. They told me then they were working diligently on the mustang. When I left the dealership, I saw my mustang parked in a back lot. I made another call to the service manager and to Ford Customer Care saying I did not think they were giving this issue adequate attention (third time at dealership for this issue). Within one hour of those calls, they put two techs on it.