Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Modern Ford Mustangs - how is the quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:51 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZXMustang
The MT82 had no problems. It had problem drivers. I have owned 4 of these 5.0 MT82 cars, and not one had issues. There was some gear whine from the syncros, but that was it. The clutch doesn't like to be pushed past 7k redline either. Just ask the boss guys...

Nope that's BS. When you cant even shift into 1st gear while siting at a stop light, and it just randomly happens about 1 out of every 75 times you shift into 1st there's a problem. The Blowfish bracket eliminated that issue, should have been setup like that stock.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:21 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

The GT350 transmission is made in Mexico if that's any help.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The MT82 had no problems. It had problem drivers. I have owned 4 of these 5.0 MT82 cars, and not one had issues. There was some gear whine from the syncros, but that was it. The clutch doesn't like to be pushed past 7k redline either. Just ask the boss guys...

The #8 issue with the older coyotes was from tuners disabling the knock sensors and that was the hottest cylinder. Again not a car problem.

As for the S550 cars, those are littered with QC problems. Mainly body panel alignment issues. Thin clips/tabs on the bumpers and so on. I looked at a lot full of 2017s, and I could find paint/body panel alignment issues with every single one.

Sync 3 is a tad buggy, but getting better. My 2017 is a premium auto, and Im loving it. But you really need to nitpick the body when you are buying one. Pass on it if it needs paint work. God forbid anyone has to remove one of your bumpers and breaks the tabs. Then you are in for a whole lot of paintwork for a new bumper.
There were several issues with the early 6-speed mt mustangs. At least two TSB's (one for a fluid change to different weight gear oil and one for a new clutch plate) and countless other issues. Ford never fully admitted the synchro issue but, it was mentioned several times from various sources the synchros were made out of a softer than speced metal which caused deformation. The synchros in question were of course sourced from China.

Post #580 makes mention of the Synchro check that ford implemented to check for these underspeced parts but there is/was no official TSB as far as I know. It may have been released through Ford's internal OASIS dealer system. Anyone from Ford service care to chime in?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...oblems-39.html

http://jalopnik.com/5796207/ford-sil...-transmissions

There has also been at least one known case on this forum of a fully Stock Coyote engine failing from the #8 cylinder issue. That person got a new engine out of it. It's posted somewhere here on this forum. Ford again never directly addressed the heat issue, instead they blamed the tuners and even made a guide on how to deny warranty based on a flow chart.

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb11-07-07.pdf
Old 08-27-2017, 04:54 AM
3star2nr

Originally Posted by Grizzwood
Am getting back in the Mustang culture, having owned a 2010 GT and subsequently had to sell it in 2013. I've test driven a few 2017 GT's this summer and I like the new exterior design and torque/HP of the new motor/trans. Thus far during test rides, I only got up to 5th gear - and having tested the base GT and GT Premium I have to say the latter with lower gear ratio is pretty neat and the GT Premium package seems a reasonable deal.

For you guys who keep your modern Mustangs stock - what is your opinion on the quality of the vehicle? I am a Harley man, so am use to a bit of tinkering, although stock HD's are pretty reliable, save some dumb mistakes the motor company makes every now and again. I was a bit taken back when I read the window stick on the GT that said the manual trans was made in China. I know many American companies are out-sourcing various parts (including HD), and depending on the country of origin that can be good or bad.
I have a 2016 gt premium and performance pack.

Mine is fantastic, in fact its the best car I've owned to date. I have 22000 miles on it now. Only issue is the back up camera is glitchy. Overall the cars been solid no issues. All the mustangs from 2011 up have been fantastic, I'd go ahead and buy the car you won't regret it, besides it has a warranty right so why worry.

As for going premium, I think its worth it the larger screen is very convenient when using the back up camera, and the heated and cooled leather seats plus the toggle switches makes it totally worth it.

Hell if you hate it put some miles on it and trade it in. Life's short have fun and do what you want
Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Sayre

T Mainly body panel alignment issues..
The hood fitment on my 17 Premium GT Auto is laughable, but it wasn't enough to keep me from buying it.

I got the white one, and the orange peel is bad but not nearly as bad as a Boss 302 I looked at several years ago. A good buffing will fix that right up. I'm about to have that and a clear bra done on mine, and I'm going to have the hood issues taken care of then too.

My Snyc 3 has only had one hiccup. On the whole, I like Sync just fine.