Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

How wide spread is the evaporator issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 AM
esanchez

Default How wide spread is the evaporator issue?

I want to buy a 2016-2017 GT but been put off by the evaporator issue. How wide spread is this issue? Does it affect every 15-17? And has a fix been found? I been reading online that some users their evaporator failed again after being replaced. I would hate to buy a 30K car and have to put up with this problem especially after warranty runs out.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

If that is all that is stopping you from buying a Mustang, buy a Camaro or better yet, a Hyundai with a 100K warranty.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 PM
IB Cristina
IB Staff

I've seen some stuff online about it too, which would make anyone concerned, but there is the "people are more likely to take to the internet to complain than to say everything is as it should be" factor to consider.

I would hate to drop that kind of cash on a repair too, as I've seen it can cost $2400. Depending on the cost, I'd consider an extended warranty if you really want that new Mustang.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 AM
esanchez

I agree the extended warranty might be the way to go with this car.

Originally Posted by IB Cristina
I've seen some stuff online about it too, which would make anyone concerned, but there is the "people are more likely to take to the internet to complain than to say everything is as it should be" factor to consider.

I would hate to drop that kind of cash on a repair too, as I've seen it can cost $2400. Depending on the cost, I'd consider an extended warranty if you really want that new Mustang.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:16 PM
EcoP2015

My Ecoboost Mustang had to have the evaporator replaced under warranty at 22K. It is out again at 35 K, just after a year. So I can personally say the problem is real and just because they replaced it; it doesn't mean the problem goes away. I read somewhere that they have a new supplier, but I cannot confirm this and apparently that wasn't the case with the replacement evaporator I got at 22K. I am a loyal Mustang owner having previously owned a 2005 GT, 2007 GT, 2008 Shelby GT, 2011 GT and now the 2015 Ecoboost. This is the first time I have had real problems with any Mustang I have owned. My Aunt's 2014 V6 also had the evaporator go out, but unfortunately wasn't under warranty so Ford washed their hands and won't reimburse her over a known defect. Curious if anyone knows anything about the 2017 and 2018 versions? Can we expect the same unreliable AC evaporators in those?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:36 AM
esanchez

Sorry to hear that EcoP2015. I know no car is perfect and I know about the weak MT82 transmission, wheel hop, sloppy shifter, plus other problems that bug the 15-17 Mustangs. Most of these problems can fixed with aftermarket parts and parts we can replace ourselves. Replacing the evaporator is NO easy task. I love the look of the 15-17 I'm just sad this particular problem occurs. If they ever come up with a permanent fix I will buy one for sure. But for now I think I'm just staying away.

Originally Posted by EcoP2015
My Ecoboost Mustang had to have the evaporator replaced under warranty at 22K. It is out again at 35 K, just after a year. So I can personally say the problem is real and just because they replaced it; it doesn't mean the problem goes away. I read somewhere that they have a new supplier, but I cannot confirm this and apparently that wasn't the case with the replacement evaporator I got at 22K. I am a loyal Mustang owner having previously owned a 2005 GT, 2007 GT, 2008 Shelby GT, 2011 GT and now the 2015 Ecoboost. This is the first time I have had real problems with any Mustang I have owned. My Aunt's 2014 V6 also had the evaporator go out, but unfortunately wasn't under warranty so Ford washed their hands and won't reimburse her over a known defect. Curious if anyone knows anything about the 2017 and 2018 versions? Can we expect the same unreliable AC evaporators in those?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 AM
bigdelta

It's a known issue on every Mustang forum I follow. I bought a '17 EB back in June that had a 06/16 build date and it had an A/C issue. 1st visit to dealer found the factory had put oo much Freon in system,so they drained an refilled with proper amount and it was slightly better. 2 weeks pass and it really isn't working properly so I return and have the service writer ride with me and he says it's not cooling properly. So they keep it in the shop for 3 hours and say they can't find a fault,but it is cooling slightly better. But not near where it should be. Fast forward to last week and I trade it in on a new GT and the A/C is so cold,I keep it on the 2nd lowest fan setting,even with 1 less center vent due to PP gauges.It IS a known issue and Ford has changed suppliers. BT,I didn't/don't have any of the other issues you referenced above. My GT was produced in 06/17,so there was a 359 day difference between build dates on my model year '17s.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
wildbadbill

so a week ago it happened to my 15 GT.
They had to yank the dashboard off to get the whole evaporator case out-problem was the plastic mixing door broke.They put it back together and had the car ready last Friday.I came and immediately noticed the "steering column lock malfunction" message.WTH?
Car still in there for a new module for steering column.Makes you freakin wonder.............

Last edited by wildbadbill; 10-09-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM
esanchez

WOW....
Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

The problem with these kinds of things is, you always hear about the ones that fail but you don't hear about the ones that don't. Forums like this are generally really lousy at showing how bad a problem is or isn't. Having said that, the evaporator issue is obviously out there and it doesn't matter one bit whether it's a frequent problem or not to those who have it.

I've been working toward a new Mustang for a long time now. Was going to try to buy this year but that didn't work out so was aiming for late spring, early summer next year. I had my heart set on a GT but with the increased pricing and option restructuring, getting one like I really wanted it had the price go up a significant amount so I was starting to look closer at the Ecoboost engine. That came to a halt this past week when I found a 2016 GT at Carmax. It's been in service since June of 2016 so it's a little past one year on the factory warranty and it's only got 6600 miles on it. What caught my eye is, it's optioned exactly like what I would have done with a 2015-2017 model. It's the first Mustang I've seen with this particular option combination. I test drove it. It seems just fine and is very clean. They're selling it a good $13k less than retail would have been on a new one so, what they heck. I'm having it transferred to a Carmax closer to where I live and hopefully will take delivery next week sometime, and I'll probably put an extended warranty on it.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 10-26-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: How wide spread is the evaporator issue?