Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Just bought a new 2017 Mustang GT Premium, exhaust questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Rory Nathan

Default Just bought a new 2017 Mustang GT Premium, exhaust questions!

So i want to buy a new exhaust system that is a little deep and throaty. I want to keep it "legal" with a converter but also want the throaty deep sound. Ive researched a lot so far but would like to hear some opinions on users since i can only listen to videos and once its on i cant really change my mind. Ill be installing it with a buddy so i only have to buy the pipes. Would like to spend as little as possible but wont cheap out on my new toy. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:53 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

I'm looking forward to reading responses to this too. I'm considering an H-pipe resonator delete with the stock mufflers. I've gotten some positive testimonies on this combination. I'd really love to hear this setup in person sometime but haven't had much luck with that. I'm certain it would either push me over the edge to go ahead with the mod or turn me off to it completely because while I wouldn't mind the car being a little louder than it is (many times I can't hear it at all, even with the top down) but I don't want it to be obnoxiously so.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Spiderxkx

I did an H-pipe resonator delete first, and wasn't too impressed.
It made the exhaust note deeper but not that much louder, if at all.

Later added the Roush Axle-backs and what a difference it made!
Exhaust note is exactly what I was looking for. A deep growl without much raspiness, and pretty loud when you get on it.
Cold starts are pretty loud too, but I enjoy hearing it every single morning.
So far the exhaust is my favorite mod in my car.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:41 PM
RugbyRef

Recommend taking a look at the Magnaflow Cat-Back Competition or Street systems. I have the Magnaflow X Side Chamber exhaust system and I really like the nice throaty (no rattle) sound at idle and when I get on the pedal.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Bierbelly

My new/used 2016 has Ford Racing exhausts on it (don't know if it's catback or axle back). They sound great. I'd assume they're legal. I looked at a different one that also had aftermarket exhausts (don't know which one) and it was so loud that the wife and I couldn't hear each other talk during the test drive. Awful, I couldn't have dealt with that everyday.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:14 PM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

I am lucky enough to have (2) and Nothing sounds like a Roush !!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:45 PM
PieceOfChum

I have a MBRP Cat-Back Race Exhaust System and I wouldn't recommend that. It is a good exhaust and the car sounds awesome but it is a little too loud and there is too much drone at 2k RPM. I would recommend a Magnaflow Street Exhaust they sound good and they are not super loud. More specifically I like the MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust Kit Street Series 3".
Old 05-28-2018, 07:50 AM
jcastag

I am looking to do the same...just bought a brand new 2017 GT Premium Convertible. I am seriously considering the RTR cat back system....wondering if anyone had feedback.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 AM
Bluegrass GT

I just installed a Borla Touring cat-back system on my 2017 GT. It has a nice, deep tone, but isn't a lot louder than stock. There's no drone, but it can be heard a bit more from inside the cabin. I estimate that it took 15-20 pounds off the car. Installation wasn't too bad.

My butt-dyno tells me that the car breathes a little better, too.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Butt-dyno? I think we all fall for that one a little bit. Little louder = little faster.

Well, maybe, then again, maybe not. It matters not, as long as you're enjoying the new sound!

Quick Reply: Just bought a new 2017 Mustang GT Premium, exhaust questions!