MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S550 2015-2023 Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s550-2015-2023-mustang-166/)
-   -   Question regarding wheel size? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s550-2015-2023-mustang/721960-question-regarding-wheel-size.html)

mungodrums 09-18-2015 10:53 PM

Question regarding wheel size?

I am thinking of getting a 2015 Mustang Gt automatic. Yes automatic due to leg / nerve issues. Mostly will be daily driver with some hpde / open track beginner fun, 1-3x a year. I was thinking of getting the non premium gt. Unfortunately it appears that ford does not offer the automatic with performance pack, damn. So what I was thinking is getting the Ford Racing Handling package, better pads and good summer tires. My understanding that the wheels that come with this car are, 18x8 all around. Also available are the 19 inch wheels, not sure what width they are, I assume maybe 8.5? Does anybody know? I hear lots of different conflicting info regarding wheel size, especially wheel width. My understanding is that 18 and 19 inch wheels are idea, 20 more for looks. Is 8 inches wide enough, 8.5? I hope with ford racing handling package and summer tires car will be able to handle lateral skid pad at around .95-1.00? Confused. Ger.

Mr. D 09-19-2015 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by mungodrums (Post 8508429)
I am thinking of getting a 2015 Mustang Gt automatic. Yes automatic due to leg / nerve issues. Mostly will be daily driver with some hpde / open track beginner fun, 1-3x a year. I was thinking of getting the non premium gt. Unfortunately it appears that ford does not offer the automatic with performance pack, damn. So what I was thinking is getting the Ford Racing Handling package, better pads and good summer tires. My understanding that the wheels that come with this car are, 18x8 all around. Also available are the 19 inch wheels, not sure what width they are, I assume maybe 8.5? Does anybody know? I hear lots of different conflicting info regarding wheel size, especially wheel width. My understanding is that 18 and 19 inch wheels are idea, 20 more for looks. Is 8 inches wide enough, 8.5? I hope with ford racing handling package and summer tires car will be able to handle lateral skid pad at around .95-1.00? Confused. Ger.

Here's your answer!

255/50R/18 tires on this wheel below which is the best choice for ride.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/mustang...cbd51506e6.png

I'm sure everyone will disagree, but I see no great advantage to a larger wheel size except for looks, & the ride will suffer.

I guess you will have to decide how much you want to spend on extra equipment for tracking it once in a while. You might consider the increase in handling might not be worth the expense & the downside of altering the stock ride. A more fade proof brake pad, or an upgrade in brakes might make sense & have very little downside to everyday driving. Here's a thought: Consider the idea that the fun of tracking your car might be in improving "your skills as a driver" with a given car. There will always be a faster, more expensively equipped car. I suspect the biggest improvement will be based on you improving your driving! That's what will be enjoyable!

AK_Kayaker 09-19-2015 03:09 PM

Buy the Corvette! :D

A lot will depend on what you consider an acceptable ride for every day use, as far as wheel width, that will depend how wide you want to go on tires, Ford uses 9" for 255's, and 9.5" for 275's on the PP, so in my mind that would be a minimum wheel widths I would think about, in reality I would be looking more at 9.5" with 275's front, and 10.5" 295's rear, but that's me.

scottmach 09-20-2015 06:34 AM

My 2011 GT was an automatic and my 2015 is an automatic. If Ford keeps putting out autos as good as these cars have I'll never go back to a manual transmission. My 2015 has the 20" wheels. While they look good, because of the small aspect tire used ride is not as good as it would be with an 18" wheel.

Phillip123 09-20-2015 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by scottmach (Post 8508551)
My 2011 GT was an automatic and my 2015 is an automatic. If Ford keeps putting out autos as good as these cars have I'll never go back to a manual transmission. My 2015 has the 20" wheels. While they look good, because of the small aspect tire used ride is not as good as it would be with an 18" wheel.

Yup, I used to be all about the manual, but the new automatics are just incredible. Plus, I don't think I'm "less man" if i drive automatic.

However,

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/mustang...065e5d7be7.jpg

Here's the wheel for you

bluebeastsrt 09-27-2015 10:03 AM

I love the disclaimer everyone puts on their reason they want an automatic. I got the auto because it's not a flimsy pile of crap like the MT82.

Mr. D 09-28-2015 05:45 AM

Ride or Look???

If you are buying rims after market you can put on a 50R aspect on a 19" wheel & have the larger wheel with a better ride. If you love the look of the 35 or 40R low profile tire you are going to give up ride quality. I drove a 2016 with stock 255/50R/18 tires & noticed a much rougher ride when driving the 255/40R/19 tires. It's all about what you want!