Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Lowering Kit - Suspension Help - Mustang Deal Gone Sour

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
fcarpio

Default Lowering Kit - Suspension Help - Mustang Deal Gone Sour

So, to make a long story short my local Ford dealership messed up some logistic things with my mustang. I had them install the Ford Racing/Roush supercharger and it turns out that Roush does not have the software ready for the 2016 GT yet. My Ford dealership took ownership of the situation and outsourced the rest of the job (software and some other things) to a well known Mustang shop. The issue that I am having is that while they were trying to work things out my car was sitting in their shop for way too long.

For my inconvenience they have offered to give me the Ford Racing lowering kit (THIS ONE) for $1k or a check for $800. The $1k includes everything (parts, installation, alignment and off course everything will be under warranty).

Now, I do have a base 2016 GT with the GT performance package. I know the suspension is a little different but I don't know how different to determine if the Ford Racing suspension kit will be a big or a small upgrade.

Is it a good deal to take the Ford Racing suspension kit for $1k out the door or to get something else for the $800 or leave the car alone and pocket the $800 if it isn't worth upgrading my existing suspension?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 PM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by fcarpio
So, to make a long story short my local Ford dealership messed up some logistic things with my mustang. I had them install the Ford Racing/Roush supercharger and it turns out that Roush does not have the software ready for the 2016 GT yet. My Ford dealership took ownership of the situation and outsourced the rest of the job (software and some other things) to a well known Mustang shop. The issue that I am having is that while they were trying to work things out my car was sitting in their shop for way too long.

For my inconvenience they have offered to give me the Ford Racing lowering kit (THIS ONE) for $1k or a check for $800. The $1k includes everything (parts, installation, alignment and off course everything will be under warranty).

Now, I do have a base 2016 GT with the GT performance package. I know the suspension is a little different but I don't know how different to determine if the Ford Racing suspension kit will be a big or a small upgrade.

Is it a good deal to take the Ford Racing suspension kit for $1k out the door or to get something else for the $800 or leave the car alone and pocket the $800 if it isn't worth upgrading my existing suspension?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Anyone?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:02 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Good question, I am curious to hear how much that would benefit a PP GT. Free bump!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Juanlargo

OK, big change in handling and ride. Body roll will be significantly reduced and the ride will be much stiffer. The car will corner like it is on rails. I am curious since you installed a supercharger in it if you are planning to put the rear sub-frame connector in the car? Also, did you upgrade the brakes? Lots of power requires lots of stopping power.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by Juanlargo
OK, big change in handling and ride. Body roll will be significantly reduced and the ride will be much stiffer. The car will corner like it is on rails. I am curious since you installed a supercharger in it if you are planning to put the rear sub-frame connector in the car? Also, did you upgrade the brakes? Lots of power requires lots of stopping power.
The car comes with upgraded brembo brakes. What us a rear subframe connector?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Hard to believe that Roush would sell a Supercharger for a 2016 GT without having the software available! Glad to know since I'm doing the same! Did Roush actually confirm they have no software for their 2016 Supercharger??

Related to the question about bigger brakes with a supercharger. Don't know about the 2016, but on my 2008 there was plenty of brake for one hard stop from high speed to zero. I suspect that you would need better brakes & suspension for tracking any Mustang, but I think they will be adequate for any hard stops.... one time.... & that's all I need! As far as suspension, if you drive curves as fast as you can you might need more suspension... at least until you meet a "stalled" 5 ton truck blocking a blind mountain curve! My fear index clicks in long before I run out of a stock suspension! By definition, when you push the limits.... & lose it.... you lose it very fast & hard! Like a friend told me with my 1st 4x4. Remember when you get stuck in a 4x4, you are really stuck! Same idea as losing control with a good suspension & heading for a ditch at a high speed! I do my power games on straight roads with no places where someone can pull out in front of me! The definition of an accident is something you didn't think would happen... that did! Take the advice of an old hot rodder that almost killed himself a few times back in the day! Only good luck saved me! Imagine having all drum brakes & coming around a dark curve racing a Corvette at about 100 MPH & seeing a double tanker gasoline truck making a "U" turn in the street! The Corvette slid around the front of the double tanker truck sideways ripping off the tires & breaking the rims! I went around the back of the tanker & it took over three blocks to stop. I came back to see the driver of the Corvette puking in his lap out of fear! It was 1960 & I was 19! That was my last race! I figured the odds were against me! Yah, I know I'm preaching.... but think about it!

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-16-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Related to the question about bigger brakes with a supercharger. Don't know about the 2016, but on my 2008 there was plenty of brake for one hard stop from high speed to zero.
The PP package adds 6-piston Brembos on the front which is an incredible brake setup. I disagree, too, about plenty of power for one stop vs. multiple stops: it's also about how quick it stops as well.

EDIT:

70-0 (C&D)
2008 GT: 182 feet
2015+ GT: 175 feet
2015+ GT w/ PP: 149 feet

Last edited by daltron; 10-16-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:21 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daltron
The PP package adds 6-piston Brembos on the front which is an incredible brake setup. I disagree, too, about plenty of power for one stop vs. multiple stops: it's also about how quick it stops as well.

EDIT:

70-0 (C&D)
2008 GT: 182 feet
2015+ GT: 175 feet
2015+ GT w/ PP: 149 feet
Good Point about quicker stops! Maybe I'll look into some Brembos! I wish they were available with the automatic. You may have just cost me some money fror Brembos! 670 H.P. might require quicker stops!

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-17-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:30 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I suspect I'll get hit for this again, but having no answer in posting this question in another thread:

"What's the easiest way to increase the rake in a 2016 a couple of inches, that is, methods of raising the rear or lowering the front. I think I'd prefer raising the rear. As a California 50's kid, I like a little more rake than the 2015/16 come with stock.... without making a major change in the handling/suspension. I'm not up to speed with the independent rear suspension differences in raising the rear a little. Much easier on a '56 Chevy!
Old 10-17-2015, 04:08 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I suspect I'll get hit for this again, but having no answer in posting this question in another thread:

"What's the easiest way to increase the rake in a 2016 a couple of inches, that is, methods of raising the rear or lowering the front. I think I'd prefer raising the rear. As a California 50's kid, I like a little more rake than the 2015/16 come with stock.... without making a major change in the handling/suspension. I'm not up to speed with the independent rear suspension differences in raising the rear a little. Much easier on a '56 Chevy!
I would bet that no company is going to sell, lift spring for the rear or the front, of these cars, your best choice would be some kind of generic coil spring lift booster, like the ones I have linked to.
For the record these are just examples, of what you could use, and you will need to verify fit, and function, and I disclaim any liability in this matter.
Good luck
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...1716/C0361.oap
http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...spring-booster

Quick Reply: Lowering Kit - Suspension Help - Mustang Deal Gone Sour