Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default What to do?

I've been hearing some good things about the Eco-boost Mustang with just minor bolt-ons and a tune so I thought I'd check out some prices for the heck of it. I'm pretty happy with my current car and was just about ready to get an intake and tune and keep it for another 4 years or so until its paid off and possibly get the next new one in 2020. Well, I found a place that has the premium turbos in the high 20's range. But they also have some GT's with a few options for around the same price which is less than I paid for mine and the new cars have quite a few upgrades over mine even in base form. Appearance wise on the exterior, about the only thing I like better about mine is the rear end, but the new ones look much better inside. I even found a couple premium GT's for around 33k! One is the same color as mine and the other is ruby red with the black wheel and emblem package that looks pretty sharp. Although I really like the new green color and also black (but I know from experience its not easy to keep looking clean). According to KBB, I should be close to breaking even on trade in and could swing a slight increase in payments for the GT's I mentioned.

I don't know...I mean I'm still getting compliments on my car, but the added comforts of the newer cars would be nice since my new job is a longer drive (about 40 miles each way) so I would save some gas money by getting the eco-boost, but then again having to get premium would offset some of that. Plus I like the sound of the V8. As far as the trans, I'm torn too. I like the manual and the last auto I tested seemed sluggish, but have been hearing the autos are quicker especially if you get a flash.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

My recommendation is to get a tune & a CAI & then do nothing else! That made a big difference on my '08 4.6L. I think the tune is the biggest part of the power increase if you can only afford one mod. Then save some money! Not having bills is "very cool" too!

My 2016 GT automatic gets very good mileage at 70 MPH on the highway. Not so much around town. You may not be giving up too much mileage "if" your commute is mostly at highway speeds. Also figure out how long it will take to save back the money for the Ecoboost "add ons" in fuel mileage savings. Also, the new autos are much closer to a manual when you want to play with them in the sport mode. As far as WOT acceleration, you give up nothing with an auto. I could not run as good times with a manual than with an auto. I had the same concern & I'm very glad I got the auto trans. There is always something faster, so do what you can live with! Most "young uns" won't agree, but the base Mustang with 18" wheels rides substantially better & saves money when replacing tires, so that will save a bit. If money is tight, the base Mustang with a 5.0L & auto trans. is a very nice car just as it is. I don't really need most of the GT Premium extras that drive up the cost & markup.

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-16-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

I love my 16 v6 auto after the tune. Before it was sluggish as hell. My friends v6 manual camaro killed mine I actually thought it was a v8 until he popped the hood. Now after the tune it's a different story. But between the 4 or the 8 I say go 8 because it's naturally aspirated and no turbos to go out and need to be replaced.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:04 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I'd go automatic with v-8.

Newer automatics are so much better.

I used to be a stick man only till I got the 6 speed automatic.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:04 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, maybe I could try the auto with the 3.55 gears if I could find one, but that would add about 1500 to it. Most of the best deal prices I found come with whatever they have them optioned with. The auto V8 premiums start to get a little pricey. I don't know if the premium would be worth it as I all really want out of that package is the ambient lighting and maybe the leather seats. But I also like the look of the Recaros (although it sounds like they are not comfortable) and it looks like the California package has some decent seats, but not sure about the front end look. There are so many different packages and options that I'm getting confused as to what you can get with what and what I would actually like. Guess the best way would be to go to a dealer with a big selection and check them out, but it seems like they always pressure you into picking one to buy that day.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 AM
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I really love my cloth seats in my v6 it's a 2016. I had a v6 with the 3.55s for a few months and it makes a huge difference. To bad it got totalled and I was out a couple grand so I went without the 3.55 but still got everything else.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:00 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Go over to Mustang6g and read all the threads regarding the Ecoboost cars blowing their motors. Stock and modded. It will make you think twice.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I did notice there were a few threads on it. Not sure if they were just upping the boost without a good tune or what, but yeah I already am leaning towards another 5.0. I don't want to worry about the engine going bad and even if they were more or less safe, it would take at least a grand or so in mods to match the stock V8. Even though a tune on the V8 doesn't yield nearly the gains as the turbo, it seems to be pretty safe since you are not dealing with boost.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Update: Still looking guys. The more I thought about it, I decided to try to find a premium auto if I were going to spend that much on a new car again. But I'm having trouble finding one that will be more comfortable in my budget (32-33k max). I know that may be a tall order since most of them around here are going for around 35k min., but I found a few places along the coast that have a couple in the mid 33k range. I really like the looks of a race red with foundry wheels for just over 33k, but its a good 8 hour drive away and don't know what they would give for my trade until they see it. I don't know if its worth the drive to check out? I found a place near Columbus that says they will match any deal, but you have to have an offer in writing from the other place. I also found a place near Indy that has a magnetic with foundry wheels, but again just over 35k. I heard there might be better sales near memorial day and keep thinking koons will get a near base premium in, but nothing yet and they are quite a drive too.

Last edited by Mrbobcat; 05-15-2016 at 04:10 PM.