Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Convertible top maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:55 AM
smlranger

Default Convertible top maintenance

This is my first cloth top convertible (my '65 Mustang had some sort of vinyl top). Interested in what others here recommend for cleaning and protecting it. I see Girots has a cleaner and fabric protectant and I know 303 makes a kit with a cleaner and fabric protectant.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:03 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

I use the RaggTopp Cleaner and protectant. Aerospace 303 makes good ragtop and protectant formulas as well.

Yes, you're 65 had a vinyl top and the new one has a fabric top.
Here is a good video on how to clean the fabric top:

And here is a good video on how to tell the difference:

Fabric:

Vinyl:

Last edited by paul_g; 04-01-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Rafizip

I also just got my first convertible and this is helpful.
Thanks,
Old 04-16-2018, 12:37 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

I really like the 303 cleaner and protectant. There are a number of YouTube videos that demonstrate it's application and effectiveness. I discovered that I prefer brushing it on as opposed to spraying it on. I picked up a 2016 GT convertible the beginning of last November and did a brush application probably sometime in the first part of December and the top still beads up when I wash the car.

The only place I've found locally that actually stocks the 303 is West Marine. I also discovered that they sell a West Marine branded generic protectant in gallon containers for almost half the price. That's what I'm using now and am very happy with it.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Wife’s 18 GT CONV

Don’t put anything on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just vacuum dry with wet vac bristle brush snd hose off with concentrated water nozzle stream

my wife’s GM old top was old and falling apart but the canvas still had the fibers standing up with that method of treatment

you can lightly scrub with bristle brush when spraying it off on tuff spots
Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wife’s 18 GT CONV
Don’t put anything on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just vacuum dry with wet vac bristle brush snd hose off with concentrated water nozzle stream

my wife’s GM old top was old and falling apart but the canvas still had the fibers standing up with that method of treatment

you can lightly scrub with bristle brush when spraying it off on tuff spots
My Mustang isn't my first convertible and I've used these products before. The thing about the brush is that it be "soft" bristles. When I ordered my first kit for this car, they offered a link to add a soft horse hair brush to use with it. This brush is probably the softest bristle brush I've ever used. I wet the top, spray it down lightly with the cleaner, and use the brush to message the cleaner into the fabric until it lightly foams. It takes little to no pressure to do this and is not damaging or lifting of the fibers of the top. Then I just rinse it with clean water until all the soap is removed and let it dry. Afterwards, I applied the protectant as described in my previous post and let that dry. The result is, any water landing on the top just beads up and rolls off instead of soaking into the fabric. It's also supposed to protect the top from UV damage. I can't comment on that one way or the other but I do appreciate the added water repellent properties. All things considered, I'm going to keep the top clean and treated.