MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S550 2015-2023 Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s550-2015-2023-mustang-166/)
-   -   2016 GT Removed 6R80 internal thermostat (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s550-2015-2023-mustang/737665-2016-gt-removed-6r80-internal-thermostat.html)

R5000si 06-07-2019 04:16 AM

2016 GT Removed 6R80 internal thermostat

I had the 6R80’s internal thermostat removed and left nothing in place where the thermostat lives. I added the large Mishimoto tranny cooler to replace the stock cooler. This Mishimoto cooler is over double the size of the Ford cooler that is mounted in between the condenser and radiator. That means the tranny oil will immediately circulate to the cooler without restrictions on startup and full circulation until I turn off the engine. This had no effect on how the tranny shifts in other words it shifts normal through all the gears even to 6th gear with cold oil. It shifts as quickly from 1st to 2nd to 3 thru 6 when it needs to shift driving casually and the 6R80 shifts hard and fast through the gears under wide open throttle. In sport mode it shifts with the paddle shifter up and down the gears like before when the thermostat was installed. Believe it or not the tranny works exactly the same without the thermostat. Also not once did it through a code when the oil was cold or warm ever because I own a autel MX 808 I use to check for trouble codes. I say warm because no longer does the tranny oil get hot. In summer the oil got up to 220. Now driving the GT hard in summer it got up to 200. In the winter it would get up to 185 was highest but usual 180. I had this done last year to make sure what I’m saying is good so I’ve been testing while drive my 2016 GT California Special that I bought brand new. I did this because I wasn’t happy with how hot the tranny oil got. Now this could be just a quirk of mine or it could be I just got bored one day and decided to see if I could help the tranny to run cooler. I not recommending anybody else do this I’m just commenting on what I’m doing to my car. By the way I’m talking about San Diego weather and it’s affect on the car.

Derf00 06-08-2019 03:54 AM

It won’t hurt anything to remove it. In fact you could be avoiding a catastrophic failure from the valve getting stuck closed and burning up the trans.

ive run my 08 5r55s without a thermostat for three years before I blew the trans from an unrelated item. When I got the new trans and valve body in, I again removed the thermostat and have been running it for two years like that. Again, no problems. I live in the Phoenix az area so we get a little toasty here in the summer.

I haven’t check the trans fluid temps before/after so there’s no data to say what’s changed in that regard. I just figured since I was in there adding shift enhancements to the valve body, I would update that as well to keep maximum fluid flowing at all times.

R5000si 06-08-2019 04:26 AM

That’s a good point about avoiding possible damage from a stuck thermostat. Today’s cars are designed to run as hot as possible not because it’s good for the car. It’s because the EPA wants to control emissions and one way to do that is to run the running gear of a car at the ragged edge. The coolant system the combustion chamber engine oil and even the auto tranny oil as hot as possible. The EPA doesn't give a hang about longevity of the running gear which is shortened in my opinion by the high temps cars run at.

Derf00 06-10-2019 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by R5000si (Post 8652869)
That’s a good point about avoiding possible damage from a stuck thermostat. Today’s cars are designed to run as hot as possible not because it’s good for the car. It’s because the EPA wants to control emissions and one way to do that is to run the running gear of a car at the ragged edge. The coolant system the combustion chamber engine oil and even the auto tranny oil as hot as possible. The EPA doesn't give a hang about longevity of the running gear which is shortened in my opinion by the high temps cars run at.

Nope, EPA could care squat about longevity or any other parameters external to "reducing emissions" . Yes the hotter temps are for the sake of improving emissions nothing more, nothing less. Heat is tranny fluids #1 enemy and why the change interval for automatic and DSG fluid is between 30K-40K miles

R5000si 06-10-2019 08:00 PM

I look at controlling emissions in a combustion engine very complicated. The benefit to high temps in a combustion chamber is to control nox2 ( oxides of nitrogen ). To aid the control back in the 1970’s the average coolant thermostat was 160 it was bumped up to 192 to help increase combustion temp this was the infancy period for engineering the control of smog. Back then a component of smog was a brown layer of air that you would see when the smog was back lit up by the sun. This brown layer is called oxides of nitrogen and was formed in the combustion chamber at lower temps. The EPA air standards are good but in my opinion sometimes they go a little overboard like put a thermostat in the 6R80 to make it run hotter. That’s the biggest enemy of any transmission what it needs is to be helped to run cooler. I don’t see any benefit for emissions to make it run hotter.

R5000si 06-14-2019 02:10 AM

Deep pan

I also added a deep transmission pan that added an extra 6 qts of oil. And along with the pan an external flex housing dip stick tube was included. Which makes filling the transmission and checking the oil level a breeze. Instead of having to have access under the car and remove a miniature 6” dip stick. I also had drained as much Ford tranny oil when the stock pan was removed. I had in my opinion the best synthetic oil you could use in the tranny added. I like using Amsoil I’ve been using this brand for a while.

Coosawjack 06-14-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by R5000si (Post 8652945)
I look at controlling emissions in a combustion engine very complicated. The benefit to high temps in a combustion chamber is to control nox2 ( oxides of nitrogen ). To aid the control back in the 1970’s the average coolant thermostat was 160 it was bumped up to 192 to help increase combustion temp this was the infancy period for engineering the control of smog. Back then a component of smog was a brown layer of air that you would see when the smog was back lit up by the sun. This brown layer is called oxides of nitrogen and was formed in the combustion chamber at lower temps. The EPA air standards are good but in my opinion sometimes they go a little overboard like put a thermostat in the 6R80 to make it run hotter. That’s the biggest enemy of any transmission what it needs is to be helped to run cooler. I don’t see any benefit for emissions to make it run hotter.

Hotter fluid is less viscous which should yield less Drive Train Power LOSSES and modern ATF is good to 230* F if changed fairly frequently!!:icon_toast: