The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Could this be daily diven?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

No, I don't believe they do. IIRC, LS1s can handle about 550whp on a stock bottom end. Could be wrong though.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

LS1s are tough engines, and can handle a lot, but 550 rwhp is past, or right on the line of the reasonable "safe" load they can handle. 600 rwhp on stock internals is pure stupidity. I was running just over 500 rwhp at 9psi. I think the engine itself was pretty much fine with that amount of power, but the rest of the car..... not so much.

Stock LS1s do not have any sort of forged internals. They are however, internally balanced and can handle much more than the 4.6 can.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Guys, this was exactly the sort of input I was looking for. You see, I have friends that get bored with cars, much like this guy has. I know buying a built car in almost every circumstance is a major dick-step. You know as well as I do that sometimes someone builds a car, gets bored with it for whatever reason (hence my thread) and dumps it for a tremendous loss. It happens everyday. Is it automatically wrong to assume the thing is a decent buy? I keep trying to pump B.C car prices to all of you just so you know what I'm up against but seldom are my links responded to. Until you realize the costs and headaches incurred by trying to import an AZ car for example, you won't understand car prices up here in Vancouver. Just F.Y.I, a dealership finally landed a slapstick auto equipped grey '10 Camaro SS. It's on Craigslist for $46,375. What are your dealerships asking in Dearborn? Stock Termi's with 75,000kms fetch 30K here just to rationalize...
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

What is wrong with buying a already built car? If you check it out real well, and it is done right, i see nothing wrong with it. Many times you save yourself a ton of money this way. My Notch already had the blower on it when I bought it. I changed the heads, rear suspension, interior, tuned it, fixed the decklid and a bunch of other little stuff. So did I build it or buy it?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

/\ you got a hybrid JD! LOL
Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JD1969
What is wrong with buying a already built car? If you check it out real well, and it is done right, i see nothing wrong with it. Many times you save yourself a ton of money this way. My Notch already had the blower on it when I bought it. I changed the heads, rear suspension, interior, tuned it, fixed the decklid and a bunch of other little stuff. So did I build it or buy it?
I did the same kind of thing, buy a basically built car, and put alot more work into it as well.

Baddog, if you turn the boost down, and could get it for 17 or 18 (going on the fact that prices are higher up in Canada) it would be a good buy.

to buy it here it would have to be a 13 or 12,000 car, so I think 17 would be about the equivalent up there.

also make sure you take it to a mechanic. Have them do a Compression check. If there is anything more than a 10% difference between any of the cylinders, tell him to shove it up his ***. If so, he's probably trying to pawn work off on the next owner.

Definitely have it checked out head to tow.

That much torque through a stock 10 bolt? hahahaha.

Personally i wouldn't think about it. If it had a 9" or an 8.8", that would be something else.

The T-56 is cool, but the production non viper-spec are only rated to 400lb/ft, which this far less than this guy is running.

And it does seem possible that he made those runs, I was kicked out, even after I made mine, but I still got the slip, and I could always go back with the wick turned up.

Although I don't think that tech would even allow him to run with a TT346 Convertible because even an idiot could drive one below 13.5's.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I think you want it bad and are trying to justify buying it. I would see about taking a look at it but honestly.. wouldn't buy it. is that in canadian dollars? even so.. a bit high.. how difficult/expensive is it to buy a car in the US and register/title it there in canada? you can get an LS1 trans am for like 12k here
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 AM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

The car is an auto with a decent stall in it. At that level, the 4l60 will be fine on low boost, unless you're racing it a lot. The rear will be fine, unless you're racing it a lot. Will the car last, yes, is it worth that much money, no. I'm sure the loan value on that car would be around $10k. You'd have to fork out a lot of money just to buy it. I just can't imagine that car is worth that much more up there. Same car here, even built like that one, you could get for $10-$12k. I sold my old car for $10,500, which is about a grand more than I bought the car for. And I had a fully built driveline, minus the motor. I'd shop around and hope for the best.

Stone, instead of going through all that trouble, you should have just fixed it right the first time. Hell, I fixed mine before it broke, but I had big plans.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I did fix it, 5 times. Three transmissions and two rears. I didn't cheap out on the trannys, I started out with a level 1 trans from performabuilt, then went to the level 2, twice. The level 2 was supposed to be good for 600 rwhp. I put a $750 stall in it as well. It went out too. The only thing I half assed was the rear. I should've put a Moser in it and called it a day. Other than that, I only put the best parts I could possibly afford on it. Everything held except for the drivetrain.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. Firstly, AZ2000 I wasn't comparing your car to this T/A directly, I'd rather have your car. The're just similar that was all, they're both silver on black high HP versions from GM and Ford. I posted the thread to find out if cars like that would be user friendly and reliable for street and extended 90mph highway use. Although I'd love to track my car and whatever else I buy, I'm really not into breaking ****, I have financial responsibilities that are higher on the priority list than repairing a car I'm beating on at the track. That being said it would be nice to have something with high HP that would be fun around town and taken on vacation in the summer. I could post tons of links to prices of cars here that would make you realize that you ain't getting no twinspooled LS1 vert for no 13K. My favourites are the '02 Camaro SS/WS6. There is a '02 SS that just went up this week, 47,000kms, stock other than full stainless Bassani exhaust and in showroom condition. Price, $24,000...If that T/A is as good as it looks in the photos and everything was done properly with receipts to prove, 22K (which could surely be talked down) doesn't seem all that bad to me. Can some of you post some Craigslist ads you think are good deals in your city, I'd like to see what's out there where you all are from. Thanks.