The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2010 Camaro 2LT versus 2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

Default 2010 Camaro 2LT versus 2010 Mustang GT

I put this in here because its sort of bench racing. In the past two weeks, Ive spent time behind the wheel of a Mustang GT and a new V6 Camaro. Ive seen enough "what if" threads around the site that I thought I would give my 2 cents in the battle of the current GT and the Camaro V6.

Regardless of the horsepower similarities, the Mustang felt much better off the line...and it pulled much harder on the low end. the camaro took some time to get up onto the power band, and it didnt seem to really get moving until you were up to 3500rpm or so. the difference in torque is clear, but i thought that the camaro was smoother around town..although the mustang felt more sure footed on the highway at high speeds.

Mustang Review

Camaro Review

I look forward to some real world head to hear runs between the two, but based on the "seat of the pants" test, the GT was stronger. the only downside to my comparison was that the GT i had was a manual and the camaro was an automatic...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good post ROTM. I've been wondering a lot about the V6 Camaro and the GT, and how they would differ. I figured the extra torque and lighter weight of the GT would put it ahead. The GT has gotten a lot more refined in the past few years with the 2010 being the best yet as far as handling in a GT, so with that said, the GT could feel slower but in actuality be much faster (and vice versa). Aren't there some 1/4 mile, 0-60, and slalom results for the V6 Camaro?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Nice write up!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Heh. Kind of sad comparing the V8 to the V6 competitor....hopefully Ford does put in the 5.0 V8 next year.

Aren't all Camaro automatics 6 speeds?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Heh. Kind of sad comparing the V8 to the V6 competitor....hopefully Ford does put in the 5.0 V8 next year.

No, my understanding is its only with the v8s so only the 1SS or 2SS
Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

its a 6-speed automatic.

ive not seen any test numbers for the handling...but until i see some real world results, i take magazine results with a grain of salt. unfortunately, most publications will compare the GT to the SS, and with the power difference, the advantage is pretty clear...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Originally Posted by Ride Of The Month
its a 6-speed automatic.

ive not seen any test numbers for the handling...but until i see some real world results, i take magazine results with a grain of salt. unfortunately, most publications will compare the GT to the SS, and with the power difference, the advantage is pretty clear...
Bagh, can't be any worse than the review that came out in '99, comparing the '99 SS to the '99 GT because Cobras were 'faulty'.

Actually, I suppose it could be a LOT worse because if I remember correctly, the posted a 13.7@106 vs a 14.1@99.. lol...a lot closer than it should have been.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert

+1 Chevy's V6 against Ford's V8... it's a sad thing!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

from the way that it sounds, the 5.0 is going to put the mustang right there with the camaro and challenger on the power side of things, and the mustang weighs less...but i have to wonder how the price of the GT will be affected by this? can we really expect 100 more horsepower without a price jump?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Ride Of The Month
I put this in here because its sort of bench racing. In the past two weeks, Ive spent time behind the wheel of a Mustang GT and a new V6 Camaro. Ive seen enough "what if" threads around the site that I thought I would give my 2 cents in the battle of the current GT and the Camaro V6.

Regardless of the horsepower similarities, the Mustang felt much better off the line...and it pulled much harder on the low end. the camaro took some time to get up onto the power band, and it didnt seem to really get moving until you were up to 3500rpm or so. the difference in torque is clear, but i thought that the camaro was smoother around town..although the mustang felt more sure footed on the highway at high speeds.

Mustang Review

Camaro Review

I look forward to some real world head to hear runs between the two, but based on the "seat of the pants" test, the GT was stronger. the only downside to my comparison was that the GT i had was a manual and the camaro was an automatic...
ROTM...I think you stated the obvious seriously though, if even the mags like MT and Car and Driver admit it and actually provide identical information, it's a non issue. When you get magazines that are usually full of misinformation and inconsistencies all agree on something like this, it's safe to say it is for real.

The difference in feel off the line is due to one simple fact...TQ..mustang has over 40 or 50 more than the camaro and weighs less. (I noticed you did elude to that).

Even the new Hyundai Genisis coupe does not keep up with the GT yet is has 300+ Hp. All mags agree on that one too. Again, non issue since even they agree.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro 2LT versus 2010 Mustang GT