The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

05-2010 mustang vs 04-06 gto

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:54 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Strictly talking straight line performance the LS2 GTO is faster. Period. The 04 is probably a drivers race with the stang. The GTO has a bland exterior and a beautiful interior. The Mustang is a better looking car but for every one GTO you'll see you'll see 25 Mustangs. The Stang is probably a little cheaper to mod. As far as handling unless your willing to shell out 30 grand for a 2010 with the track pac your not going to lose a goat in the twisties.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:54 AM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by desslok40
I haven't met anyone who likes the look of the last GTOs, nor have I read any reviews stating as such, I liken it to the sports car version of the AZTEK !! lol

5.7 version gets owned at my 1/4 mile track, 6.0 is only slightly faster than my N/A S197and on paper it should smoke me, so that's why I think the powertrain is overrated for this particular vehicle, you can't polish a turd.. IMHO
well you met someone that likes the look of both hence the reason i am asking questions it seems most people ( not all can give me an objective opinion) this is the same in the pontiac forums i just wanted performance wise pluses and minues of each car since i will buy on of them. i understand you are entitled to your opinion but this isnt the type of answer im looking for
Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 AM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Strictly talking straight line performance the LS2 GTO is faster. Period. The 04 is probably a drivers race with the stang. The GTO has a bland exterior and a beautiful interior. The Mustang is a better looking car but for every one GTO you'll see you'll see 25 Mustangs. The Stang is probably a little cheaper to mod. As far as handling unless your willing to shell out 30 grand for a 2010 with the track pac your not going to lose a goat in the twisties.
thanks blue beast for an intelligent answer i appreciate it!!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

04-06 GTOs look gay, retarded Sunfire......lol powertrain is overrated , to me the only contender to the Mustang is the new Camaro SS, and the S197 is still lighter, cheaper and better looking !!

Get a 2009 for cheap as possible and have fun !!!! lol
i dont want a 2009 i am looking only at 2010
Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Its not really a fare comparison, a 2010 Mustang and a used '04-'06 GTO are not in the same price range.

If you get a 2010 GT, then you really have to get the track pack. If you do, then it will out handle and out brake the GTO. I would also give the '10 GT's interior the nod over the GTO's. Mileage would probably be a toss up around town but the GTO should do better at highway speeds. The 2010 Mustang would also have a warranty and that gives you some piece of mind. Plus buying a brand new car is always special compared to a car someone else has beat on. Of course you will pay some 10k more for a 2010 GT.

Also remember, the LS2 GTO will still be quicker in a straight line then the Mustang mod for mod. The mods for LS series motors do cost more but they do wonders even compared to the very mod friendly 3v.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomee
i dont want a 2009 i am looking only at 2010
Realize that you could probably get yourself out the door for 23-24k in a 2009 Mustang GT. You will not even come close to that in a 2010.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

I haven't met anyone who likes the look of the last GTOs, nor have I read any reviews stating as such, I liken it to the sports car version of the AZTEK !! lol

5.7 version gets owned at my 1/4 mile track, 6.0 is only slightly faster than my N/A S197and on paper it should smoke me, so that's why I think the powertrain is overrated for this particular vehicle, you can't polish a turd.. IMHO
< i like the looks of it, so now you have met someone. the 6.0 will have no problem showing you taillights
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

-Style wise it's no question. The GTO is a sleeper, not a head turner. From a distance you can't tell if it's a GTP, Sunfire, over sized Cobalt or what. The Mustang has a definitive, sporty shape and iconic and well known appearance.
-Out-of-the-box-speed the GTO takes the cup. The LS2 engine is much stouter than the 4.6L 3v, simply because it has larger displacement.
-Modability goe's to the Mustang. There's what, 10+ companies that make superchargers for Mustangs? That alone is evidence enough.
-Gas mileage(something you'll want when gas hits $4 again) the Mustang is light years ahead of the GTO. GTO highway = 19mpg. Mustang highway = 24mpg.

For me it's a clear cut win for the Mustang.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

you can get 24+ out of a gto...the auto can get that....it's about keepin the foot out of the skinny pedal
Old 06-13-2009, 03:43 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
you can get 24+ out of a gto...the auto can get that....it's about keepin the foot out of the skinny pedal
I suggest a prius if you want to keep the foot out of the skiny pedal.

Quick Reply: 05-2010 mustang vs 04-06 gto