The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2009-10 subaru wrx sti(wagon) vs my 06 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Default 2009-10 subaru wrx sti(wagon) vs my 06 mustang gt

I'm sorry to bring another one of these "who would win between this car vs me" threads, but this one is a must know for me. A friend of mine got a subaru wrx sti back in december, i guess it was a birthday present. Anyway he wouldn't race because he wanted to break it in. Well he hit me up a few days ago and asked about doing a friendly race. I said alright, but I don't wanna go too fast. We'd do one or two dig races (I have a feeling where its going to go from a dig, but I'm still being positve about it) Since i agreed to the dig races, I told him that a roll would be fair for me. At first he said 10 roll, I said no, 50 roll. now he's trying to get it backed down to a 40 roll. would i be able to take him from a roll at this speed? i've never gone up against an wrx sti, so i'm not sure what to expect.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Hmmm, idk man, those cars are pretty quick. You ought to be somewhat even from a roll, I think. A dig would be ugly for you if he knows how to drive.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Hmmm, idk man, those cars are pretty quick. You ought to be somewhat even from a roll, I think. A dig would be ugly for you if he knows how to drive.
yeah man i've wanted to avoid dig races with awd cars, i've seen videos of how they hook up on the streets, and they don't hesitate. i hope i can pull him somewhat from a roll, that would be nice. i'm not really sure if he knows how to drive, he said something about holding it at 6k and then letting go of the gas. my best launches are when i hold revs at 3k and then i guess i sidestep the clutch or somethin, idk, but it minimizes wheelspin alot.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

i meant holding it at 6k and and dropping the clutch lol
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

his car hates him lol, wow wonder how quick hell break something?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

holding at 6k and then letting it go reminds me of a video I saw of a Vette owner fusing his flywheel and clutch together

If you both can drive perfectly hes a few tenths faster form a dig, on a roll its tough to say.

He has taller gears all the way around, weighs about the same, and makes 290lbs at 4000rpms, however you are RWD which helps a lot on drive line loss and in a roll situation, even though your max torque is coming in 500rpms later, youre making quite a bit more (30lbs) your max hp also comes in 250rpms earlier, assuming no driver error, you can max hp and then shift before him, depending on his pull, that could give you an advantage on power in a new gear and letting you start to pull

from there one of two things is going to happen, either your displacement will win or his turbo will keep spooling.

I've never driven or raced an STI but I know 06 GT's pull pretty nicely

Any mods for either of you?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

If he's dumping the clutch, I'd run him from a dig! He's gotta be bogging if he's not keeping the RPM up while feathering the clutch. If those cars hook too hard and drop RPM too fast from poor clutch engagement, its over for them.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 PM
NJShelby120
2nd Gear Member

just so you know, the wrx is faster then the sti 0-60 cause of its gearing from its five speed instead of the sti's 6 speed.... if your car is stock, your goin to have a hard time keepin up..... if i were you, id do atleast one from a roll..... 2nd gear at 3500-4k is your best start....
Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJShelby120
just so you know, the wrx is faster then the sti 0-60 cause of its gearing from its five speed instead of the sti's 6 speed.... if your car is stock, your goin to have a hard time keepin up..... if i were you, id do atleast one from a roll..... 2nd gear at 3500-4k is your best start....
yeah i was going to do a 50 roll in 2nd, it feels like my car pulls pretty hard from that speed.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by legendlime05
his car hates him lol, wow wonder how quick hell break something?
hahaha yeah thats exactly what i thought when he told me that. i was like whatever man, its your car you abuse it how you want to. i actually want to hold on to my car for a long time lol.

Quick Reply: 2009-10 subaru wrx sti(wagon) vs my 06 mustang gt